Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing website - easy update?

Options
  • 02-08-2006 3:14pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm putting a website together for a band. It's going to be plain 'ol HTML with maybe a little Flash if I can make something small yet striking.

My problem is that they want to be able to update it themselves but don't want to have to edit HTML files or use WYSIWYG editors. Notepad is pretty much all they'll use.

Is there anyway that I can call a .txt file from a html file and have it format correctly if the end-user edits just the text file?

That way I can offer them a program that detects when the file is modified locally and upload it to their webspace.

Any other easy ways of doing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Client-side: Write a small program that detects when their text file has changed, and upload it to the website to be processed alá the next option. The problem with this is the file will have to be either the same file all the time, or they will have to be shown how to use the program to upload it. If they're doing it manually, the second step makes this redundant.

Server-side: Upload the txt file (manually or as above) and use a server side script to load the files contants into the database. If the person is going to do this manually, this is pretty much redundant, as the next is a better idea.

Common method: Give them a webpage with a form. Explain to them that this is just like Notepad, only for their website. Sometimes people just need to be told what they want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Common method: Give them a webpage with a form. Explain to them that this is just like Notepad, only for their website. Sometimes people just need to be told what they want to hear.

I'll use that to explain my next example. Go to www.cmsmadesimple.org . Download and install the package to the web server(requires one MySQL d/base, afaik).

Design a template for it, implement their logo, customize the menu...the best bit is that they can *easily* update it by going into a mambo style interface, very handy and I am using it at the moment.

The equivalent of a .txt file except everything is automatic...hope this helps

If you didn't get what i just said pm me...;)

Advertisement