Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen Repair, where?

Options
  • 02-08-2006 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Folks,

A poxy truck threw up a stone at the w/end and put a nice little crack in the windscreen. It's probably about 1-2mm wide.

Before it starts to spread, I'd like to get it fixed. I've seen in Britain that you can get liquid glass (as far as I know) pumped into the crack to stop it spreading. I'm not sure that this service is available over here though.

Can anybody advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've never had it done here either, but I'd be willing to bet that pretty much any big car windscreen place like CarGlass can do this for you.

One thing you should do, or better still have done at the time though is to put a piece of sellotape or something over the crack to prevent any dirt or grime getting in the crack which can make the repair difficult. When I had mine done in Holland a few years ago, they even gave me a sheet of little circular stickers to keep in the car for this very purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Halfords do the glass repair kits. Do you have windscreen cover on your insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I got the new golden pages yesterday and on the front cover is an ad for a windscreen rapair company - they probably paid through the nose for the ad but there ya go, it stuck in my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

I do have windscreen cover but it's so small I'd prefer not to claim. I don't think it would affect my policy but I suppose it's just the mindset that I have with the insurance companies.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When I've had this done in the past the insurance has paid for the repair without affecting my NCB. A sensible idea really as it's protecting them from an even bigger claim down the line for a replacement windscreen if you don't get it done.

Just give them a ring and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

You don't have to deal with the insurance company really (i.e. claim forms). You simply call them and they give you a number for an approved supplier. You call this supplier and they call out to you with a windscreen. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

Guys, thanks for all your help. It's much appreciated.

Advertisement