Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skirts over trousers

• 02-08-2006 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

On my way to work I see this girl and some mornings she wears a skirt over trousers, Now I mean black trousers not jeans,I quite like it what do others think of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pigheads not impressed at all with this new fashion phenomenonenonenon. The whole beauty of a skirt is it gives us lads the chance to ogle at the young ladies legs and marvel at her smooth sexy calves. Now all we can see is bits of frayed denim. Its akin to a fantastic looking lady walking down the streets wearing a mask on her face.

To sum up: If you've got horrible legs, its a good idea.
    If you've got a cracking set of pins, it should be outlawed.
    FLASH THE FLESH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm with Pighead on this one (help us all! :)), show teh legs! Just looks silly imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah its a total con - if it was just jeans, then we could check out the ass....and if it was just a skirt, we could check out the legs...but when its both, what do we get to ogle? nadda :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

There is a multiple page thread on this a few pages down the line. It can look great sometimes, especially if the trousers in question are tight hugging leggings. Other times it look tacky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i have done it a few times, i'm not quiet tall enough to do it with flat shoes though. Alot of girls wear those shirt dresses over jeans/trousers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think it always looked mismatched. Leggings are passable but not trousers. I think its going to one of those fashions that will fade away and be one of those then-topical fashions that will cause people to cringe in the future.
    pheby wrote:
    On my way to work I see this girl and some mornings she wears a skirt over trousers, Now I mean black trousers not jeans,I quite like it what do others think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I think the skirts over trousers looked quite nice a couple of years ago, I like dresses over some trousers now but not really skirts
    Mini's over leggings seem to be thing now - that looks alright..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Gank!

Its Jeans/trousers without the ass,
    Skirts without the legs

tut tut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 oshi

love skirts over trousers, means you dont have to shave your legs:D :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

oshi wrote:
    love skirts over trousers, means you dont have to shave your legs:D :p

can't you just wear trousers then minus the skirt? :cool:

as with most things in fashion it can be done right and look well or it can be done ****ly and look terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Reeks of indecision imo:p

Haven't ever seen it look well.. unless the trousers in question are actually leggings then that can look great if done right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If they're worn nicely over a good ass and legs, go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭pheby

Would you consider it suitable for work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

That depends what you do:p It's ok not mad about it. I prefere the short dress over jeans, well thats what I do anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Bad fashion idea if you ask me. No doubt that manky looking Sienna Miller is probably responsible. I'm with Pighead here, unless you've got hairy legs and a big ass and want to hide everything away then it's really a no-no. One or the other yes, but not both. If you've a nice body why hide it.

Cremo wrote:
    can't you just wear trousers then minus the skirt? :cool:

no maybe somedays you might feel like wearing a skirt or dress, theres nothin' wrong with stickin on a pair of jeans or trousers underneath.

aidan24326 wrote:
    If you've a nice body why hide it.

???:confused:
    firstly wearing trousers isnt hiding your body its ahh wearing clothes!!
    and why should someone with a nice body wear miniskirts and boobtubes just so you can oogle and drool over them.

oshi wrote:
    ???:confused:
    firstly wearing trousers isnt hiding your body its ahh wearing clothes!!
    and why should someone with a nice body wear miniskirts and boobtubes just so you can oogle and drool over them.

Yeah exactly, girls should wear what they like and have men drooling over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pixietrixie

I think skirts can look good worn over trousers. It different. It does look good for work. theres a girl in my office and she wears skirts over trousers. and t-shirts over blouses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I did wear a longish shirt over trousers (read mini-dress) in the past but would not dream of doing it now. I think that people do it to hide their bottom/ upper legs. I am proud of my legs and bottom so I wear dresses (including minidresses) without trousers. The only problem that I have with the minidresses is that if you are in windy places the skirt bit can blow up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

CathyMoran wrote:
    The only problem that I have with the minidresses is that if you are in windy places the skirt bit can blow up.

Problem? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Problem? :p
    Well, it is a bit...crossing O'Connell Street bridge and trying to hold your skirt down can be a bit akward to say the least, I had a few wolf whistles as well. I would not mind but the minidresses were respectable enough for the office so they were not in any way tacky, having said that I have a great halterneck that is just below the knee and that has been known to blow up in the air with a gust of wind also. I think that the wind problem is the only excuse that can be justifiably applied for wearing trousers under skirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Samhildanach

It's really popular here in Shanghai and for the most part looks good - except if the dress is too long or flowy it just looks crap.

I think if you were tight black pants with a tight black mini over it - it looks really great.

Maybe women wear it so men can't ogle them - it makes them feel more comfortable. Or maybe they think its arty looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I think a skirt or dress over trousers/jeans can look very nice.
    I don't really like the dress over leggings look anymore because everyone is wearing it! It looked nice enough at the start, but now it just looks tacky.
    I sometimes wear a dress over jeans like the girl in the first picture -

http://www.style-arena.jp/omotesando/2006/08/e_w1.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭MonkMuffet

as long as you can still rip her knickers off without too much difficulty its fine with me

Faerie wrote:
    I think a skirt or dress over trousers/jeans can look very nice.
    I don't really like the dress over leggings look anymore because everyone is wearing it! It looked nice enough at the start, but now it just looks tacky.
    I sometimes wear a dress over jeans like the girl in the first picture -

http://www.style-arena.jp/omotesando/2006/08/e_w1.htm

I dont like the dress over leggings anymore either. Thats a real nice picture, I wear that sometimes muself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭fuse

Doesn't seem to be very popular here!
    I really like it, girls been doing that for years now, was always a big fan.

As for skirt over leggings, I can't stand that look, don't find it any way attractive. Think it's just leggings in general I find repulsive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭mcoolmcool

Skirts over jeans looks good, Skirt over trousers still not sure myself.

I dresses over trousers though!

Layering seems to be big again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pixietrixie

mcoolmcool wrote:
    Skirts over jeans looks good, Skirt over trousers still not sure myself.

I dresses over trousers though!

Layering seems to be big again

Yeah layering is big all the manequins in the shops at the mo have loads of layering going on. I love it!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement