Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best console of all time

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

1. SNES - great console, just great and lets not forget was the base on which the PS was born.

2. NES - Saved long and hard for this baby and got it with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pack. Top down and side platform. Stunning machine.

3. XBOX - The first console that you could turn into a complete media center (which i duly did) and it had Halo + Forza Motorsport (the real mans racer). Nuff said.

4. PS - The quantum leap in gaming at its time. I still recall the shivers I got when playing destruction derby, how beautiful it looked.

5. Atari 2600 - How could I not put it on my list. My first console and afaik the first ever console? Sheer quality in a time when games had no ending, they just got faster and harder until you died! Pole position kept me going for years....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

1 week bans to those who neglected to mention the Dreamcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

1) Dreamcast. Sega's finest hour - I curse you all for not buying one.

2) Amiga. The pinacle of 16bit gaming. Take you SNES' and Megadrives and shove' them, nowhere else was there such a huge and diverse library of great games.

3) Xbox. Brought online console gaming to the fore and played host to some of the best multi-player games ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

#1 - Playstation.
    Imo probably the most prolific brand of the last decade. Brought gaming further into the mainstream than ever possible, and made grown up, mature games that paved the way for games consoles to be more then purely kids toys, it is now almost a necessity for any male aged 13- mid twenties to have a playstation. For those who aren't familiar with gaming and consoles, if they see an xbox,gc etc in a shop window or a living room, they would call it a playstation. Hows that for brand naming?Also brought horror and racing games to (pardon the pun) a new dimension. Brought me some of the tensest and most memorable moments I've ever experienced with games. Memories like swimming in underwater in the opening scene of MGS with the haunting opera and green hue will stay with me forever.

#2 - Megadrive.
    First games console I ever owned, after having only brief encounters with gear like Amstrad's CPC this blew me away. Colours and graphics that were more then just 4 cubes on the screen. The lush environments, sheer speed and astounding rage of enemies of the sonic games. The infinite cool of the techno soundtracks to the streets of rage games. The progression of Shinobi the white ninja passing through the dark caverns, throwing shuriken and calling on his Ninjitsu powers.

#3 - Original Gameboy.
    Revolutionary console that firmly establishing handheld gaming.

#4 - Sony PSP.
    Bound to be a controversial one, this. In my own opinion, from a technical viewpoint at least, the PSP has to be one of the most impressive consoles ever made. When I first saw a picture of the psp concept, I was blown away. I remember telling my friend at the time on msn, that it looked awesome, and it was a pity the real portable playstation will look nothing like this. As a proud owner, the device has given me a vast amount of portable entertainment options. Impressive 3d graphics on the go, MP3 playback, UMD format/ the option to convert your own vids to psp resolutions, browser functionality, and in certain games ad hoc or full blown multiplay - that I might ad in my experience has been an absolute dream to set up (Burger King GTA after school being the most memorable.) I will admit there are some poor games, but portable and quick sessions of multiplayer GTA and singleplayer Wipeout, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Dynasty Warriors have served me well. I havn't even gotten round to excellent and unrivaled homebrew capabilities, with the likes of snes emulators, gens, the ever improving n64 scene, the up and coming Playstation emu, and the countless other retro emulators. Also the excellent homebrew Beasts of Rage, which holds a special place in my heart, for reasons see above. With games such as metal gear portable ops, FFVII Crisis Core, Devil May Cry - Dance of Sparda and talk of a portable Z.O.E game, the future looks very bright for the Sony Portable.

#5 N64
    Only console on the list I haven't owned. When I was busy with my playstation, weekend sleepovers at my cousins house became a breath of fresh air thanks to the N64. While the controller wasn't to my liking, we spent hours playing Mario Kart 64, truly one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. I also became engrossed with Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (opening level and the junkyard being 2 of my favorites.) I have since obtained many games through emulators, but the feeling of sitting up past bedtime when I was 12 years old playing mario kart will never be felt again. You need the physical console in front of a tv.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Best portable gaming has to be from the GBA SP, what a great little device, plays all of your GB back catalog on a lovely big bright screen and can stand to be linked to the GC, rechargable battery was a revelation too, and it could withstand being dropped and abused.

Best handheld game for me has been Lemmings on the original GB, couldn't believe it, sitting out in the sun back in '94 on my lunch break in work, nukinh the little gits as I put the blocker guy in exactly the wrong place, and I still remember that lunch break, weird isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

iregk wrote:
    2. NES - Saved long and hard for this baby and got it with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pack. Top down and side platform. Stunning machine.

i got for christmas...

1no console - zelda,track and field, nintendo world cup, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

sega_megadrive2_2.jpg

I still remember running home from school to finish Echo the dolphin, Bomberman, Earth worm Jim, Sonic (all in the series), to name a few. Waiting for the weekend and getting my pocket money to go out and rent a game from the local video store. I used the love the feeling of pushing the cartridge into the console, powering it on and hearing "SEGA" come out of the TV.

I also had an Atari Lynx, one of the first colour screen handhelds, 6AA batterys lasted all of 1 hour but I loved it.

Also the PS1 for giving me FF7, still the best game I have ever played, purely because it was so revolutionary for its time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

No. 1 SNES ---- SO good

No. 2 Megadrive ----Sonic the Hedgehog, what can I say

No. 3 N64 ---- Cant beat a good owl game of golden eye

No. 4 PS2 ---- some good games, loved SSX

No. 5 Gamecube ---- Really good, lack of anything on it these days pulls it down unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dude...you had a mega drive 2...what a poser.

Classic Mage Drive was the way to go (with the audio control dial i never touched and that funky white reset button.)

EDIT: Goddamn you iFight...the above was aimed at l31mr0d

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

L31mr0d wrote:
    sega_megadrive2_2.jpg

They got the design of that one so right. Looked great then, and still looks great now. I remember unboxing mine, and my da was hookin up the cables to the back of the telly, and my young 10 year old head was goin the lines of this thing are perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

1) Nintendo DS - wireless fun!
    2) Nintendo 64 - goldeneye, perfect dark.
    3) Nintendo GameCube - for Resident Evil4 and Zelda!
    4) Sega Mega Drive II
    5) PS2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

smd1b.jpg

I had a fondness for the original...but i guess thats cause i owned one.
    though the original mega cd looked like a really old cd deck. which it was i guess

mega.jpg

Though i hate the fact the european saturn is so bloody ugly compared to the one the japanese had.

euro
    saturn.jpg

jap
    saturn.jpg

ms1phot.gif
    i never saw an original master system, only master system 2. Which has alex the kidd built in.

16.jpg

Advertisement