Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP: Obscure Mid 20th Century Short Story Writer

Options
  • 02-08-2006 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

I read a collection of short stories years ago. It was in the library of my secondary school. Essentially most of the stories were of a humorous, slightly absurd nature. One story in particular sticks out of a man who falls off a bicycle and being indignant with the people who ask him if he's ok. I can't recall all the details. I reckon the author was either Irish or English and I'd say it was written in the 50s / 60s. For some reason I thought the author's surname might be Sheridan - but I'm not sure of this.

I know its a long shot, but if the above rings any bells with people - I'd be most obliged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Well upon my own googling. It appears that I may have been right about the Sheridan thing.

John Desmond Sheridan was born in 1903. His novels include Vanishing Spring (Dublin, The Talbot Press/London: Rich ∓ Cowan, 1934); Paradise Alley (The Talbot Press, 1945); and The Magnificent MacDarney (The Talbot Press, 1949). His short fiction includes The Right Time (The Talbot Press, 1951/London, Dent 1952). His poetry includes Joe’s No Saint and Other Poems (Dublin, Gill, 1949); Stirabout Lane (The Talbot Press/ Dent 1955). Comic sketches, Here’s Their Memory (Dublin: Talbot 1941); and for children, Can’t Help Laughing (Dublin: Talbot 1944). Best known for his humourous work, this genre includes I Laugh to Think (The Talbot Pres, 1946); It Stands to Reason: The Intelligent Rabbit’s Guide to Golf (The Talbot Press, 1947); Half in Earnest (The Talbot Press, 1948); My Hat Blew Off (The Talbot Press/Dent 1950); The Rest Is Silence (Dent 1953); While the Humour is On Me (The Talbot Press, 1954); Funnily Enough (The Talbot Press/Dent 1956); Bright Intervals (The Talbot Press/Dent 1958); God Made Little Apples (The Talbot Press/Dent 1964); Joking Apart (The Talbot Press/Dent 1964); Include Me Out (The Talbot Press, 1967). He also published a biography, James Clarence Mangan (The Talbot Press/London, Duckworth 1937). He died in 1980.

Now I wonder if I can ascertain which book contained the story in question.

Advertisement