Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen Cars

Options
  • 02-08-2006 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

What cars are mostly likely to be stolen as i'm living in a bad area and would like to buy a BMW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

In short, older ones. I've been told by several people that the Peugeot 406 is virtually unstealable. Good drive, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Well, unstealable until they use the break-into-your-house-and-take-the-keys method...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you want an unstealable car then buy any car you fancy and unplug the coil when you lock up at night.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cars are stolen for 3 main reasons imo...

1, easy to steal cars for joy riding... micras, starlets etc..

2, high performance cars to be stripped and sold

3, high end cars, stole to order and shipped out of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

I know that BMW's were the car target by theifs a few years ago..is this still the case.
    My friend had a BMW and it was stolen twice in the one year.... are they still an easy target?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Lexus1976 wrote:
    I know that BMW's were the car target by theifs a few years ago..is this still the case.
    My friend had a BMW and it was stolen twice in the one year.... are they still an easy target?

I'd say that most modern cars with an immobiliser are hard to steal - without the key. Whether they deem the car worthwhile or not to break in and take the keys is another matter. I wouldn't think that a standard BMW saloon would be any more of a target than any other family car out there.

I would be more worried about general vandalism; smashing the wing mirrors, keying the paint etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Taken from http://www.channel4.com/4car/index.html

The most secure cars in each category were named as follows:

City car/supermini: Citroen C3 Exclusive
    Small family car: Citroen C4 Exclusive
    Family car: Peugeot 407 Executive
    Compact executive car: Lexus IS
    Compact MPV: Mazda 5
    Large MPV: Renault Espace
    Convertible/roadster: Volvo C70
    Performance car: Peugeot 407 Coupe
    Compact 4x4: Nissan X-Trail
    Large 4x4: Volkswagen Touareg
    Executive car: Audi A6 saloon
    Luxury Car: Mercedes-Benz S-Class
    Manufacturer: Audi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

RedorDead wrote:

Performance car: Peugeot 407 Coupe

I really don't understand this survey, none of the cars were driven away or attempted to, also to me a 7 Series BMW or a 1982 Micra can be broken into both as easily, simply tap the window with a lump hammer and your in, nobody will bother pressing back a door when it's that easy.

If you have a modern car with an immobiliser 99% of the time it will be stolen because the thief obtained the keys from you or your home and not by any other means the average Irish car thief only wants something to rob the contents of or joyride and for the joyride will go for a pre immobiliser car.

List for The most unsecure cars in each category ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RedorDead wrote:

Performance car: Peugeot 407 Coupe :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

407 Coupe is in no way a performance car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I was watching the used car roadshow today and on it they had an alarm/immobilser that needed a key code input, only cost 500 sterling or something like that including instalation. If you didnt put in the code the car doesnt start and if your car jacket the second they turn off the engine once they can move the car again. You wouldnt really have to worry if you got that installed.

Eh thats the same as every imobiliser. Imobilisers aren't all that hard to by-pass either. Most people think that it makes a car unstealable but in reality any car thief/scum bag can bypass one in minutes.

mike65 wrote:
    If you want an unstealable car then buy any car you fancy and unplug the coil when you lock up at night.

Mike.

Unfortunately, they'll have made **** of the door lock, dash & ignition barrel by the time they realize that the car won't start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

new mercs and bemers are easy to get in to ,set off the air bags and the doors pop open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Unfortunately, they'll have made **** of the door lock, dash & ignition barrel by the time they realize that the car won't start.

Better than no car at all.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Better than no car at all.

Mike.

I dunno, I've been there a few times with a Mk2 16V Golf I used to own. You'd be surprised at how expensive it is to repair the damage afterwards. I'd say it's probably better to make it clear that they won't get the car before they've started. In my book, this means either a really good, clearly visible steering wheel cover/lock and an alarm or buying a car that they just know they won't get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

babybundy wrote:
    new mercs and bemers are easy to get in to ,set off the air bags and the doors pop open

do you realise how hard it is to "just set off the air bags"? Its not a case of kicking the bumpers. Air bags work on sensors that detect sudden change in speed eg. 60mph-0mph, not impact sensors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Actualy, it is more or less just a case of kicking the bumpers, the doors will pop open if its hit in the right places too. any old ****box along the lines of old fiesta/micra/civic/astra is whats stolen for joyriding. Newer cars are rarely stolen to be stripped and sold, thats only realy for more exotic cars rather then new cars, more a case of stolen to do a job in.

Actualy, it is more or less just a case of kicking the bumpers, the doors will pop open if its hit in the right places too.

absolute bullsh1t

• Advertisement

20 sesonds and google =

"The airbag sensor is a MEMS accelerometer, which is a small integrated circuit chip with integrated micromechanical elements. The microscopic mechanical element moves in response to rapid deceleration, and this motion causes a change in capacitance, which is detected by the electronics on the chip, which then sends a signal to fire the airbag. The most common MEMS accelerometer in use is the ADXL-50 by Analog Devices, but there are other MEMS manufacturers as well."

From wiki

What car would have the best security system/harder to break into the
    Jag, Bmw or the Audi?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lexus1976 wrote:
    Jag, Bmw or the Audi?

I believe that they all would be easy to break into. Just smash the window and you are in.
    However, starting pretty much any modern car is much more difficult with modern immobilisers. Without the key neither Jag, BMW nor the Merc will drive anywhere.
    I believe that with my E39, there is something like 3 separate computers monitoring the immobilisation system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Lexus1976 wrote:
    Jag, Bmw or the Audi?

Abrams :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Just pay an extra €1000 and get a clifford alarm on it. That way if it is stolen the theives should get about 20 feet with the car before it requests a code. If the code is not entered in a few seconds the engine cuts out until the owner unlocks it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

They came after my missus' beloved 94 Micra three times in a few weeks til I put a dirty great rusty chain around the steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Another trick that I use is that I take the fuse from the fuel pump. With the fuse out, the car will start but die after 10 seconds.

If you have an old car, one that uses a coil, all you do is install wiring that bypasses the coil. I have used manufacturer wiring & connectors, and to bypass the coil, I make one connection in the wiring that I installed. I put the extra wiring in with the car wiring loom, and it's bloody hard to figure it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

overdriver wrote:
    They came after my missus' beloved 94 Micra three times in a few weeks til I put a dirty great rusty chain around the steering wheel.

Yup, nothin' puts a dopey scanger off an older, easy to steal car better than a heafty, visible chain. Its not worth the effort and they move onto an easier target, of which there are generally quite a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

layke wrote:
    Just pay an extra €1000 and get a clifford alarm on it. That way if it is stolen the theives should get about 20 feet with the car before it requests a code. If the code is not entered in a few seconds the engine cuts out until the owner unlocks it.

Ive got clifford with blakjax and its not what its made out to be.Any skanger who's specifically out stealing cars will know how to bypass it,its simple.

It'l slow them down for sure but wont stop your car going if they really want it.In terms of more risk of a car being stolen now a days id say its more so high end models and performance cars which are being bought and stripped of shipped off.

Little nackbags looking to joyride are going to be looking for 1989 micra's starlets and early civics as you could rob them with a spoon!

• Advertisement

At the end of the day if somebody wants to steal your car they will. Doesn't matter if you have an alarm, imobiliser etc... these can all be by-passed. My car has an alaram, imobiliser, deadlocks and security glass but I know that if somebody really wanted to steal it they'd be gone in 10minutes.

Like everyone said, get some visual deterents and hope they move on to something easier.

Advertisement