Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen Cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lexus1976 wrote:
    What car would have the best security system/harder to break into the
    Jag, Bmw or the Audi?

Are you reading what others have posted at all? Any car can easily be broken into by throwing a brick through the window :rolleyes:

The overwhelming majority of cars stolen these days fall into:

1. Old banger that has no immobiliser. Easy to drive away by hotwiring - used for joyriding
    2. Nearly new car stoled to order - driven away using the car keys (stolen first)

There used to be another category where powerful sedans were being stolen to be used in armed robbery etc, but that died off when these cars were being fitted with immobilisers about a decade ago, so this category fits into the second group above now

Ratings of which car is harder to break into are utterly pointless imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Lexus1976 wrote:
    What cars are mostly likely to be stolen as i'm living in a bad area and would like to buy a BMW
    If you're living in a bad area, a car such as a BMW might become the target of vandals and other scobe derivatives.

You'd not want to have it parked on the street, or some little inbred might leave you a little present in the form of a go faster stripe along the side of the car which he just fashioned with a nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

407 Coupe is in no way a performance car.
    :rolleyes:

Although it fits the GT bracket better, you cannot say a car that has 200bhp, can do 0-60mph in 8.x seconds and has a top speed of over 140mph (limited) is "in no way a performance car".... :rolleyes:

BTW, that is the diesel...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I read somewhere a while ago that the MKV Golf GTi was the most stolen car in Dublin. I dont know how accurate that is so I could be wrong.

And a 407 coupe is not a preformance car,the fastest car in the range,the 211bhp 3.0 V6 manual has a 0-62 time of 8.4 sec. It would be fast enough but in my book that doesnt constitute a preformance car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

SGKM wrote:
    I read somewhere a while ago that the MKV Golf GTi was the most stolen car in Dublin. I dont know how accurate that is so I could be wrong.

And a 407 coupe is not a preformance car,the fastest car in the range,the 211bhp 3.0 V6 manual has a 0-62 time of 8.4 sec. It would be fast enough but in my book that doesnt constitute a preformance car!!

The OP didn't specify a performance car...;) Besides a performance car would be a theft magnet, which is kinda what the OP doesn't want.

• Advertisement

I'm curious, I know its off topic but I am gonna ask anyway.

At what point does a performance car, become a performance car?

I would have thought a car with over 200bhp would be well above average performance, and therefore qualify it is a performance car!!
    Having actually driven a 2.7L 407 coupe, it is certainly as impressive in the real world as alot of other high powered cars I have driven.

But having said that, I would prefer it as a tourer due to its combination of size, space, performance and absoloute refinement and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Well quinn direct consider anything over 110Bhp ish to be a 'performance car' lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

prospect wrote:
    I'm curious, I know its off topic but I am gonna ask anyway.

At what point does a performance car, become a performance car?

I would have thought a car with over 200bhp would be well above average performance, and therefore qualify it is a performance car!!
    Having actually driven a 2.7L 407 coupe, it is certainly as impressive in the real world as alot of other high powered cars I have driven.

But having said that, I would prefer it as a tourer due to its combination of size, space, performance and absoloute refinement and comfort.

The important thing here is to define "performance car" and I think a performance car is a car which is designed for performance. Simple i know but follow me for a second

The 407 isn't a performance car just because you throw a bigger engine in it, is the suspension the same as the smaller engine models? Does it have standard brakes etc.

I think a performance car is one which has been designed or redesinged to accelerate, brake and handle better than you average saloon, hatchback.

SO I wouldn't call a car with a big engine a performance car, it would have to have a big engine, improved braking system. Improved handling due to suspension mods and weight distribution.

well that's my 2 cents anyway.

Feel free to argue/make a new thred for this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

Do you think it's worth putting a hidden kill switch into the car? Hide it somewhere that will take a thief a good bit of time to find but that is convenient for you to switch off when leaving your car?
    I don't like the idea of screwing with the ignition circuitry and I suspect that any thief proficient enough to get around immobilisers and deadlocks will find the snipped ignition wires soon enough... anybody any experience with these?

dubstub wrote:
    Do you think it's worth putting a hidden kill switch into the car? Hide it somewhere that will take a thief a good bit of time to find but that is convenient for you to switch off when leaving your car?
    I don't like the idea of screwing with the ignition circuitry and I suspect that any thief proficient enough to get around immobilisers and deadlocks will find the snipped ignition wires soon enough... anybody any experience with these?

Apparently some of the older cars like civic and integras are very easy to steal.

Its apparentlly becuase car thievery is very low in japan.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote:
    The important thing here is to define "performance car" and I think a performance car is a car which is designed for performance. Simple i know but follow me for a second

The 407 isn't a performance car just because you throw a bigger engine in it, is the suspension the same as the smaller engine models? Does it have standard brakes etc.

I think a performance car is one which has been designed or redesinged to accelerate, brake and handle better than you average saloon, hatchback.

SO I wouldn't call a car with a big engine a performance car, it would have to have a big engine, improved braking system. Improved handling due to suspension mods and weight distribution.

What about the different generations of Golf GTI's. Are they all performance cars? The Mrk 1 is 0-60 in about 9sec whereas the latest one is 0-60 in 7sec. (figures are approx). But they are all modified compared to the standard car. Even the bloaty/floaty ones.

dubstub wrote:

I think you do enough to keep the amateurs away. The professionals will simply car jack you, or have a word in your ear while your in the house and ask you politely for the keys, and how to unlock it. They may even come back a couple of times if they are really determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I think you do enough to keep the amateurs away. The professionals will simply car jack you, or have a word in your ear while your in the house and ask you politely for the keys, and how to unlock it. They may even come back a couple of times if they are really determined.

I remember seeing a post on here (?) a year or 2 ago from some lad in Ongar D15 who had video footage of some skangers trying to nick his MX-5, they came back 2 or 3 times :eek: Dont think they got it tho !
    Have also seen posts about guys getting a knock at the door and being told to hand over the keys ! AMB !

What about the different generations of Golf GTI's. Are they all performance cars? The Mrk 1 is 0-60 in about 9sec whereas the latest one is 0-60 in 7sec. (figures are approx). But they are all modified compared to the standard car. Even the bloaty/floaty ones.

well they may be fast in a straight line but do the golf GTI family have uprated brakes/handling (serious question I don't know without looking it up).

If so then yes i would call them a performance car.

I could go away and get the figures for a dodge ram or a ford f series pcik up which have huge engines and are very quick but I would not call them a performace car as they are lacking in a lot of other areas.

I suppose it takes a lot more than acceleration and top speed to make a car a performance car in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I know its off the topic but,the Golf GTi MK 1 was launched in 1976 and had a 1.6 engine and weighed about 800kg. That is a preformance car from 30 years ago!! Yes the V6 Peugeot 407 would be faster,but not by that much. I've driven a MK1 GTi and it is a superb drivers car:Very accurate steering, Good brakes (for the 70s), Precise gearchange, Great handling and turn in. And for a car that is 30 years old its fast and fun to drive!!! A great Drivers car makes a car a preformance car,its not just about power and speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

Fair point. Don't think I'd enjoy being woken up with a knife to the throat. A call to the Gardai and insurance company in the morning is kinda preferable to that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

ronoc wrote:
    Apparently some of the older cars like civic and integras are very easy to steal.

Its apparentlly becuase car thievery is very low in japan.

Stealing old honda's are easy and can be done with the most simple of tools!!

At the end of the day, no matter what car you have, what alarm you have, what kill switches you have.....
    If they really want your car they will take it!!!

EDIT: Before you ask... No I don't steal cars, never did and never will!! Its just general knowledge!!

jonny24ie wrote:
    Stealing old honda's are easy and can be done with the most simple of tools!!
    a man who speaks from experience;)

jonny24ie wrote:
    EDIT: Before you ask... No I don't steal cars, never did and never will!! Its just general knowledge!!
    oh of course of course:cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

oh of course of course:cool:

Ah no I know alot of Honda owners plus my uncle and cousin are mechanics and they own hondas!!

• Advertisement

dubstub wrote:
    Fair point. Don't think I'd enjoy being woken up with a knife to the throat. A call to the Gardai and insurance company in the morning is kinda preferable to that.

Especially when many of them would stab you just for the heck of it.

Vegeta wrote:

He he, won't argue with you, I think we have done enough of that recently..

I do not know if the brakes & suspension have been upgraded, but I would be fairly sure they are.
    Also, it is a coupe.

But, by your definition a 60bhp 1.0l micra which has been upgraded (in all departments) too a 95bhp 1.2l is a performance car. Yet a 210bhp coupe that is built just as that isn't?

Also you said "designed ...... better than you average saloon". Do you not consider 210bhp to be better than an average saloon, and therefore it can be considered, by your own definition, a performance car?

You can have a sweet handling car in stock configuration, without any mods too. And you don't need power either. Its about the driving experience. The Micra while being light and low powered, has actually quite a nice handling chassis, once you look past that its FWD and not a sports car. Takes a while to adjust to the very light feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Sizzler wrote:
    I remember seeing a post on here (?) a year or 2 ago from some lad in Ongar D15 who had video footage of some skangers trying to nick his MX-5, they came back 2 or 3 times :eek: Dont think they got it tho !
    Have also seen posts about guys getting a knock at the door and being told to hand over the keys ! AMB !

Presto !
    http://mx5ireland.com/members/frank/theft

Take your pic, but 2004Nov was the anus-horribilis. It speaks volumes that, even though my car spends 1/2 its time in evil old Belfast, it seems completely safe there. It's only in Dublin that it attracts the scobes

franksm wrote:
    Presto !
    http://mx5ireland.com/members/frank/theft

Take your pic, but 2004Nov was the anus-horribilis. It speaks volumes that, even though my car spends 1/2 its time in evil old Belfast, it seems completely safe there. It's only in Dublin that it attracts the scobes

Jesus christ. How many times that been? Have they ever actually got it started/moving?

Having looked at how stupid all the little knackers are in those videos and pictures I feel alot safer.

prospect wrote:
    He he, won't argue with you, I think we have done enough of that recently..

I do not know if the brakes & suspension have been upgraded, but I would be fairly sure they are.
    Also, it is a coupe.

Ok as I said i don't know if the 407 with 210bhp has better brakes and suspension than the standard models. I am sure you will agree though that it takes more than a powerful engine to call a car a performance car.

its a coupe.
    Also you said "designed ...... better than you average saloon". Do you not consider 210bhp to be better than an average saloon, and therefore it can be considered, by your own definition, a performance car?

just cos the car has a few bhp doesn't make it a performance car and 210bhp is not a lot in the scale of things.

The original Elise had 118bhp.

Vegeta wrote:
    Ok as I said i don't know if the 407 with 210bhp has better brakes and suspension than the standard models. I am sure you will agree though that it takes more than a powerful engine to call a car a performance car.

its a coupe.

just cos the car has a few bhp doesn't make it a performance car and 210bhp is not a lot in the scale of things.

Its hard to call, isn't it...
    Think I will start a thread on this.

• Advertisement

The original Elise had 118bhp.

exactly it was designed to perform well, it weighed two thirds of a mini or something like that and is set up to handle like its on rails and comfort is secondary in it

Also the 407 coupe is a 3ltr v6 isn't it, the bmw 330i se has 4 doors and its performance is better than the 407, and the BM is more economical. Still wouldn't call either a performance car.

Its a bloody fast car but not a performance one.

Advertisement