Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnecting from BT question

• 02-08-2006 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I'm moving house and I want to cancel my broadband and line rental contract with BT. How do I go about this? Once BT have cancelled my broadband and line rental, do I have to call Eircom and get them to disable the telephone line aswell?

I will be looking to get broadband in my new house, but I hear it takes BT up to 8 weeks to install broadband so I am thinking of switching to a different provider, which provider has the shortest install time? I live in Cork city centre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

It is as simple as writing to them to disconnect - It can take up to a week to disconnect the broadband and then a further week to disconnect the line. If you give them the phine details at the new location it should take no longer that a week to connect.

Previous delays were due to Eircom not moving fast enough - all suppliers had problems but now eircom must swirch within a certain timeframe to avoid fines.

Try Chorus - if its available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

thanks for the info, chorus is available here so i may go for that since i dont have a phone line at my new place. do i have to inform bt by written letter or would an email to customer care do the trick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

do yourself a favour and never trust a word BT says.

they told me it would take a week to cut me off too, so when i called them to cut me off, i was more than a little surprised to have the phone disconnected 30 minutes later. i could still recieve incoming calls, but not make any.

due to an astronomical amount of incompetence on both the part of BT and Eircom it took them 3 months just to get my phoneline back on and even longer to get my DSL back.

take any chance you can to leave BT and don't look back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

they cancelled your subscription by phone call? no written letter needed? im a bit worried about this alright, because im gone from here in a weeks time and i need them to sort it out by then.

P.S Ive heard that BT sometimes continue billing customers after their subscription has been cancelled. I'm thinking of cancelling my direct debit right after i cancel the subscription. Would I be in any trouble legally for doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you actually heard that back to front.

BT 'sometimes' do things right and properly, but that seems to be in the minority (see the numerous threads here).

make sure you speak to someone other than a phone monkey to get this sorted out or you'll be regretting it for a very long time.

every time i have to call them for something i'm told a different story, they just make it up as they go along.

they didn't actually cancel my contact as i had planned on staying with them (more fool me) when i moved.

they turned off outgoing calls in 30 minutes after telling me it would take a week, then took 3 months to get me re-connected and all they offered me as compensation was to not charge me for the 3 months i wasn't conected (something they seemed to think was generous) and then an additional 3 months of my dsl + line rental combo (about €150). my monthly mobile bill for that time was considerably more than €150 so it didn't seem like sucha good deal to me.

they also promised me a wifi modem for the new house, but that never materialised even after several moe phone calls where i was promised that i was on some mysterious list to get one, then a week later being told there was no 'list'.

they will NEVER EVER ring you back if you speak to someone and they can't get the info there and then. they always promise faithfully that they will, but i've lost count of the number of times they've said that to me and never rung back. when you call back, whoever you get takes a msg and promises to get that person to ring you back, and you know how that's going to go.

they are a completely useless shower of b@$tards, don't trust a word they say unless you have it in writing, and then you'll still probably have to take them to court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

it took them 3 months to cancel my account, my phone line was still working in the house for 2 months after another family moved in, i made lots of calls, emails, letters, got a few calls from the new owners because they couldnt get a line, kept getting bills

think its sorted now, god they are some muppets though, can we not have a sticky warning people not to join them

Advertisement