Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Travel, world's first 'Time Machine'.

Options
  • 02-08-2006 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey all first of all I know this statement should probably belong in the
    'Science' thread, but it is to do with space and space travel.
    I recently recorded an episode from the 'discovery science' channel.
    Apparently someone in America is building the worlds first 'time machine'.
    It looks quite possible but in my honest opinion, I hope it fails, 2 reasons:
    first of all I don't think I am going to get to use it & secondly, America is the last country in the world i would trust with that kind of power.

I could post the episode if people would like...just let me know,
    it's about 45mins @ about 250MB.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Yes, time travel is possible

check out John Cramer

The info on the above link is very technical and won't be understood by everybody... :p ... it's a brilliant site for absolutely cutting edge physics ideas presented by a world renowned physicist working in particle physics.

Cheers
    Joe

Custom pine furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

seinstein wrote:
    I could post the episode if people would like...just let me know, it's about 45mins @ about 250MB.:cool:

please do :D , sounds very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Actually posting links to a downloaded show would be a bit of a no-no on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭seinstein

hellboy99 wrote:
    please do :D , sounds very interesting.

hellboy99, I have already uploaded links to the DL on another forum

edited

you will need to register first, believe me it's worth your while!

After registering go to the 'Documentaries' section then 'Discovery Channel Documentaries' (should be the 2nd or 3rd from top)
    > 'The Worlds First Time Machine' (Important..make sure the 'Topic Starter' is 'seinstein' & not 'mohamedsaber'....that's something else.) i'ts the
    one with the "Cool" icon beside it.

if you need more help just ask!

p.s.-the download link is a video recorded from the 'Discovery Channel'
    not a DVDrip or anything so it's not pirated or illegal....don't know what 'monkeyfudge' is talking about...feel free to reply 'monkeyfudge' to explain
    yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 John Vi

isnt it impossible without going the speed of light and faster?

• Advertisement

Here Are links to the DL:

Edited

If you don,t want to register.....

don't know what you mean 'John Vi' sorry....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

thanks seinstein :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

seinstein wrote:
    p.s.-the download link is a video recorded from the 'Discovery Channel'
    not a DVDrip or anything so it's not pirated or illegal....don't know what 'monkeyfudge' is talking about...feel free to reply 'monkeyfudge' to explain
    yourself.

Hav'nt you heard? "home taping is killing music" The material is still copywrited and as such any link to it is an illegal one.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Hav'nt you heard? "home taping is killing music" The material is still copywrited and as such any link to it is an illegal one.

Mike, I know exactly what you mean but if wasnt a movie or song,
    it was a documentary, they are LEGAL.
    If it was a movie or song you'd b 100% correct.
    What I did is equal to sharing a link 2 a music video...this is legal.
    So what I did is OK but I know what you are trying to say.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Any broadcast material is copywrited no matter how 'worthy' if you look quickly on end credits there is always statement to the effect of "all materials are subject to copywrite restrictions. Re-broacdcast or duplication is forbidden by copywrite" Something like that.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Okay, thanks for the heads-up Mike, I'll bear that in mind
    for the future...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SystemError51

Yes, time travel is possible

check out John Cramer

The info on the above link is very technical and won't be understood by everybody... :p ... it's a brilliant site for absolutely cutting edge physics ideas presented by a world renowned physicist working in particle physics.

Cheers
    Joe

No, time travel is not possible. In neither of both directions.

Besides, the link you posted is about quantum time travel. As far as I am informed: wormholes are really theoretical right now, but the article claims that wormholes have been created and thus trans-time travel and communication is possible.

However, there is no reliable or trustworthy source given. So this article is.... just an article, a nice read.

Believe me - the vast majority of the scientific community does not believe time travel to be possible, as it would require something faster than the speed of light, which is, and has been proven, to be indeed unbreakable and unreachable.

hi

SystemError51, I think you'll find that a reference is indeed given at the bottom, it is based on an artivle published in 'Physical Review Letters' which is a real scientific journal. Also John Cramer is a respected scientist and his words carry weight with me.

Quantum entanglement definitely represents 'faster than light' communication, there is no douth about this, it just can't be used by humans to communicate. But the quantum wave function of two electrons in an entangled state will instantaneously collaspe to a consistent value when the polarisation of one of the electrons is measured, this gives the value of the other electron and the question remains, how does one seperated electron know that the other electron has been measured.

Ok, wormholes have problems, Stephen Hawking showed them to be unstable. However someone else showed that they can be stabilised, possibly by using the Kashmir effect to provide negative energy or something.

Also people working with space and time metrics according to Einsteins theory of general relativity have produced metrics that can result in faster than light travel, again most of this info is presented on the site I linked to.

I'm not a physicist and don't claim to completely understand this stuff but I have an open mind and when people of the calibre on the linked site take these things seriously I have no reason to disbelieve them. They are world renowned professional physicists after all.

Check out The Krasnikov Tube: A Subway to the Stars for more ideas on this. If you're interested check out more of the articles and you may be surprised at the content, all references to academic journals are given and can be checked.

Cheers
    Joe

also time travel is obviously possible in the forward direction, I'm doing it right now.... don't know about you.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SystemError51

hi

SystemError51, I think you'll find that a reference is indeed given at the bottom, it is based on an artivle published in 'Physical Review Letters' which is a real scientific journal. Also John Cramer is a respected scientist and his words carry weight with me.

May be. It's still theoretical.

Quantum entanglement definitely represents 'faster than light' communication, there is no douth about this, it just can't be used by humans to communicate. But the quantum wave function of two electrons in an entangled state will instantaneously collaspe to a consistent value when the polarisation of one of the electrons is measured, this gives the value of the other electron and the question remains, how does one seperated electron know that the other electron has been measured.

There are theories around, the vast scientific community calls this "information". It appears to be bound to no limit known by man, its speed seems to be unlimited, and therefore it arrives instantly at any point required.

Ok, wormholes have problems, Stephen Hawking showed them to be unstable. However someone else showed that they can be stabilised, possibly by using the Kashmir effect to provide negative energy or something.

Stephen Hawking showed them to be unstable? He more likely wrote a theory about it. A wormhole has not been seen or recorded at this time.

Also people working with space and time metrics according to Einsteins theory of general relativity have produced metrics that can result in faster than light travel, again most of this info is presented on the site I linked to.

That is correct. But this only works under very certain circumstances only.

I'm not a physicist and don't claim to completely understand this stuff but I have an open mind and when people of the calibre on the linked site take these things seriously I have no reason to disbelieve them. They are world renowned professional physicists after all.

Check out The Krasnikov Tube: A Subway to the Stars for more ideas on this. If you're interested check out more of the articles and you may be surprised at the content, all references to academic journals are given and can be checked.

Cheers
    Joe

I will check it out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Although time-travel is theoretically possible, I have always thought the greatest arguement against it being possible is that there is noone here from the future. If the Americans are even close to being in the same ballpark as the correct solution, then presumably in a few decades, or centuries, or millenia, someone will perfect it and then start jumping around in time. Maybe there is an apartheid on the 20th + 21st C? Maybe the future guys think there would be too many problems / paradoxes if they travel 'back' to us. So is everyone in the future so restrained? I cant see it.... there is always some that put advances in science to some nefearious uses. Maybe they are here (or further back in time) and they just blend really well (afterall, it is history to them and easy to research before they leave). Has anyone seen any 'fooprints' in history where they may have tripped up and made a mistake? Maybe Atlantis, or the pirimads in S America, or the Marie Celeste? Wasnt there a Russian Tzar that was assinated (by would be republicans) the day before he was to sign away some of his power and declare a republic? Maybe it is all possible, but the world is destroyed before we can perfect the machine.

Maybeeeeee the creationists are right, and the world/universe is only a few thousand years old, and all the scientists are evolutionists, and in the first test run they try to go back and see what happend the dinosaurs, set the dial for a few million years ago, and *poof* they disappear! Then the rest of the scientists decide to give up as its obviously a useless machine.

Lastly: in my limited understanding of worm holes, isnt the theory that you always go forward in time? making them nothing more than very very efficient hybernation devices? Afterall, as a prev poster said, we are all going forward in time, at the rate of 1 day per day.

Advertisement