Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loosing the hair!

• 02-08-2006 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hoping to get your opinions on this....

So, nearly 30 years old now and the hair is seriously thinning out. I guess I was 23 when I noticed it, more receding at the sides than anything. Its not that bad really but if I was to get a short haircut all around then you'd see the typical male pattern baldness.

I personally dont care but I do care about what others think, is that really sad! I mean I am a reasonably ok looking guy but now if the hair goes I think I'll be dropping down the ladder of male attractiveness.

What do girls think here? I guess some dont care, some hate it?

If I have a sqeeky clean head I dont care, life is about many others things, and there are a lot more problems to have. But have others felt a bit apprehensive about loosing the hair? Did it bother you?

I think even bumping in to old friends that I havn't seen for years would bother me, but its strange that I dont care about the fact that I am going bald, more so what they would think? Does that make any sense?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

There was a thread ont his awhile back, do a search for baldness.

Personally, I prefer a man to shave his head if he is balding, nothing worse than a comb over or loads of gel to cover all spots!!!

Most men look great with shaved heads unless you have a massive head that would look weird! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Bite the bullet and go for the shaved head, OP. :) You won't regret it, I done it a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

shave your head be bald and proud nothing wrong with it! My sis has lost all her hair due to alopicia, much worse for a woman to loose her hair than a man, everyone assumes she has cancer. She just shaved it all off in the end and to be honest I dont really notice anymore - its amazing what you get used to - shes a very pretty girl though even with no hair so this helps!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

As long as you don't start combing in a fringe from the very back or the dreaded comb over - I think it won't make the slightest bit of difference to how people see you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Bald with grace and be proud of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think bald/shaved heads are really sexy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Ruu wrote:
    Bite the bullet and go for the shaved head, OP. :) You won't regret it, I done it a while ago.

Agreed.

The one thing you can't escape from are your genes. Just to hell with it and shave it.

Trying to hide it just makes it more conspicuous.

Most people comment that I look younger with a shaved head - having a blatant receding hairline/thinning hair makes you look older.

Shaving it is clean and neat.

You don't wanna look like.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Yeah that ol' comb over looks brutal.

Just a got a fairly tight haircut there and the damage aint half as bad as I expected, it looked so much worse when it was long as the wind keep blowing it all over the place.

Havnt shaved it just a short haircut and I dont think it needs a shave for a few more years. But yeah when the time comes it will be an all over 3 blade or something. I dont think I'd shave it smooth.

The worse thing is a few fellas I see at work caking on the hair gel to kind of push the hair over the patches, the looks bad too.

qwytre wrote:
    The worse thing is a few fellas I see at work caking on the hair gel to kind of push the hair over the patches, the looks bad too.

Definitely.

It's progression. I can remember the first time I shaved my head tight and I was really self conscious.

I bic it now, no bother.

quad_red wrote:
    Agreed.

The one thing you can't escape from are your genes. Just to hell with it and shave it.

Trying to hide it just makes it more conspicuous.

Most people comment that I look younger with a shaved head - having a blatant receding hairline/thinning hair makes you look older.

Shaving it is clean and neat.

You don't wanna look like.....

I was waiting for the comb over, just like my Dad used to have it. Argh terrible and silly looking. Best of luck anyway, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nudge

My boyfriend shaved his hair off a few years back, at first I was kinda shocked because he had shiny jet black hair and I loved it but I have to say it is sexy and especially with the salt and pepper grey bits coming into it now. I love rubbing his head since his hair is shorter, don't know why. He however hates it when I do that. Ha Ha.

I used to have a long, greasy mop of hair and its much healthier looking shaved tight and much better in the heat! :)

nudge wrote:
    My boyfriend shaved his hair off a few years back, at first I was kinda shocked because he had shiny jet black hair and I loved it but I have to say it is sexy and especially with the salt and pepper grey bits coming into it now. I love rubbing his head since his hair is shorter, don't know why. He however hates it when I do that. Ha Ha.

What? I think it's incredibly relaxing and sensual.

I didn't realise how sensitive the scalp was until I shaved my head. Spurred me on to try Indian head massage.

Woh.

Why I get stressed my lovely lady just rubs my head (you in the back, stop giggling).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

quad_red wrote:
    Definitely.

It's progression. I can remember the first time I shaved my head tight and I was really self conscious.

I bic it now, no bother.
    Damn straight, m'man....I still remember the evening of the first time I did it..went to wash my teeth and nearly died when i thought I saw a football hooligan looking back at me in the bathroom mirror...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

consider yourself lucky OP, i started losing it at 21. Was a right little vein git back then, and was completely gutted.

2 years on its receeding slowly, i just chop it shorter and shorter as it gets obvious. my gf loves me regardless so thats all that matters to me :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

If you are happy enough then who cares what people think, that's what I tell myself. I've lost pretty much all my hair, and now shave my head completely #1 or no blade at all :D. The older I get, the less it bothers me also - suppose more and more of my mates are catching up which helps!!! ;)

(I look closer to that smiley hairwise than you'd think!!!)

The only thing that bothers me about baldness is that it's the one appearance trait that people who don't even know you will feel they can slag you about. Pisses me off big time. I have mates who might slag me about being bald, and I'll just slag them back about whatever - we all have a laugh about it and it's good craic/good natured messing.

But I've been in situations - numerous times - when people I've just met have made a comment about it. That is literally the only time that being bald has gotten to me. It's so f*&kin' rude to pick out a physical attribute of someone you've just met and take the piss, but seems to be very common with baldness.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Jotter wrote:
    shave your head be bald and proud nothing wrong with it! My sis has lost all her hair due to alopicia, much worse for a woman to loose her hair than a man, everyone assumes she has cancer. She just shaved it all off in the end and to be honest I dont really notice anymore - its amazing what you get used to - shes a very pretty girl though even with no hair so this helps!!

Respect - must be very difficult for a woman to cope with. Fair play to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Damn straight, m'man....I still remember the evening of the first time I did it..went to wash my teeth and nearly died when i thought I saw a football hooligan looking back at me in the bathroom mirror...:D

haha! When I first had mine shaved it was by accident in America. A "miscommunication" with the barber if you will. Best thing that he could have done for me tbh. My gf could do nothing but laugh, she thought it was so strange! I remember being really conscious about it for a while, but now I'm more conscious if it grows long (as in more than 4 days).

As for the comments, I do get alot too (and its usually from some ugly lookin bastard). Its always a lad, never a girl. I should really hit back about their man tits, beer bellys and farmer trousers etc. but that just makes me sound sensitive to it. Better off ignoring any asshole that mentions it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I concur with the others.

Shave it off. Thanks to a rogue gene somewhere in my make up, I started losing mine in my early twenties. Have been on the blade 0 now for a few years, and have never missed having hair. A lot of girls like shaved heads anyway...

I splashed out on a Wahl kit some time back, and haven't seen the inside of a barber shop in at least five years. It frees up more cash for more important things, like beer and curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Personally I don't like blade 0, but a blade 1 or 2 is nice so you can see the guy isn't completely white!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

All of these are good practical approachs for those who have accepted it but are there any other options that work? Transplants etc? I've read mixed reports about something called Propecia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Cannot remember the actor's name, but the guy who stars in Transporter and Transporter II films looks better with less hair IMO, than with hair. Saw him in a film awhile back where he had hair and he was not as attractive.;)

Cannot remember the actor's name, but the guy who stars in Transporter and Transporter II films looks better with less hair IMO, than with hair. Saw him in a film awhile back where he had hair and he was not as attractive.;)

Jason Statham?

I don't think I would go totally bald and as smiles said 1 or 2 blade is good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ruu wrote:
    Jason Statham?

I don't think I would go totally bald and as smiles said 1 or 2 blade is good.

Yes! Jason Statham. Cannot remember the film when he acted with hair, but in the Transporters he looks grand.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Very sexy imo, symptom of high testosterone (or is that a myth?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SarahMc wrote:
    No. Having high testosterone can cause you to loose your hair. Proberly why many drugs that will get your hair back says that it may affect your sex life (they proberly lower the levels of testosterone).

SarahMc wrote:

Ask my wife.... oh, she's STILL asleep... ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

SarahMc wrote:

I think thats the case with most men but not all. I know thats the case with me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Please don't spam links.
    was_bald wrote:
    I don't want to take all those drugs, and my head looks ugly when shaved cos I have a double crown (like a bump) on top. So I had to look for other options...

So I went with a hair system. Now my hair looks great, it is basically the same kind of system used by Ben Affleck and John Travolta, so it looks real. Needs to be maintained/cleaned every 5 days but it's worth it. I went from using concealers (hair thickeners) to wearing the system, so none of my friends noticed, only some said that I looked very bright and well rested, and younger...

By the way, all this stuff about women liking shaved heads is not always true. My girlfriend met me after I got my system, and she said one of my defining features is my really thick healthy, shiny head of hair - my hair system! She has pulled it, closely examined it, run her hands all over it, and never noticed anything! Then eventually I just told her.. She has also said that she wished more guys would make the effort that I have made to look better, cos hair really does make a difference. Most women do actually prefer guys with thick, healthy heads of hair. Try www.spammylinkdeleted.com for more info, or try the forums on:
    www.spammylinkdeleted.com - check the hair replacment forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

smiles wrote:
    Personally I don't like blade 0, but a blade 1 or 2 is nice so you can see the guy isn't completely white!

Ah yes, but you see that's where the chap may have the, ahem, luxury of choosing a blade 2. If I, and i suspect a few others of this parish, were to go with a blade two look, the top of my head would look bloody ridiculous, 'cos I'd have this relatively thick hair at sides and bog all at the top.

Thus the blade zero, while it's 'drastic', is equally drastic all round. Anyway, as any fule kno, the time to start experimenting with the blade zero is at the start of summer. Slap (literally) on the factor 20 to avoid burning and by the end of the summer the notion of a white white head is gone...

Advertisement