Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing / Renting Rooms Nightmares!

Options
  • 02-08-2006 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Whats your worst story from renting\living with other people?

Mine was back in college. I rented a nice double room in a house down my the docks, lovely it was as I love the sound of seagulls.

Anyways I was in there about 3 weeks when all of a sudden I came home to find the electricity turned off. It turned out the other people living there just didnt pay the ESB for over 4 months and it was cut off and we then got an evicition notice.

Everyone then swiftly moved out living me in the place for 3 weeks while I tried to find somewhere else to live. Yep, 3 weeks living with no ESB, no hot water, noting. I used to walk to college in the morning and have a shower in the student GYM. I used to sit in the dark with 1 candle playing guitar all night.

Mostly I drank down in the local pub every other night with friends, getting drunk enough that I'd just go to sleep when I got back rather than wanting o watch TV etc.

And one of the other tenants legged it with half of my deposit too the bitch!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I was renting a room privately from a landlady close to UCD. She was a volunteer in the ISPCA and the whole place used to be overrun with dogs. Not necessarily a problem. Her son however lived in the attic- so there was a Stira stairs often flung down on me as I entered/left my bedroom. There were no locks on the doors- as I didn't have anything of any great value, I didn't really care that much. What really turned me off the place was coming back one Sunday evening for college the next morning and finding used condoms under the bedclothes, along with frilly underwear that had obviously been discarded there. I don't know who they belonged to (either article) I don't care. I forfeit my deposit and left that evening. A friend took me in a for a few days- and by the end of the week I had found a much nicer bedsit- which I proceeded to rent for the next 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Oh man thats a nasty one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This guy moved into my house and instantly started telling me long involved stories about how he hated his ex wife. The stories took hours and I was too polite to ever go to bed. Afrer 2 weeks, his current girlfriend started staying over and more or less moved in (it was a two bed house). However, as she "was kept awake by his snoring", she slept in his bed all week and he slept on the couch. The house was built so that you had to pass through the sitting room to get to my bedroom and if I passed through at any time after 10, I'd get loud sighs, wounded looks and pointed comments the next morning. I finallky asked him to rectify the situation, starting with "she seems like a lovely girl but...." to which I had a finger poked in my chest and was told she "IS a lovely girl". :)

After that, I lost it, put him against the wall, roundly threatened him and moved out.

Sadly, I knew the girl who owned the house and apparantly the neighbours rang her and said that - judging by the noises they heard - they were nearly sure he was beating the girlfriend up after I left. Should have battered him while I had the chance. :mad:

He sounds like a right tool, hopefully she reported him to the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

sadly I don't think there is much they can do unless the lady herself makes a complaint. :mad:
    qwytre wrote:
    He sounds like a right tool, hopefully she reported him to the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I was renting a room in a house while in college. The landlady was OK but a bit of a loaner as she stayed in her room most of the time. One day near exam time she arrived home with a new stereo system along with the biggest speakers I have ever seen. These things were 3Ft tall.

A couple of hours later I was studying and she obvously got the stereo sorted and switched it on. The bloody house vibrated. I said "F*ck this" and made up a jig to short circuit the sockets in the house. Every time she switched on the stereo I could trip the fuse. Eventually she came to me for advice and I told her the speakers were to big and she would blow the fuse if she turned it up too loud.

Nice peaceful study time from then on.;)

Ha ha, good one!

Advertisement