Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S80 - opinions?

Options
  • 02-08-2006 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

To be more specific: an '02 S80 2.0 T Auto. High spec: leather, auto aircon, autobox, electric sunroof, cd changer, heated seats, cruise, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Great engine and great spec. It's like driving in your bed - so comfortable. A little bit of barge from a handling point of view.

I'd prefer an S60.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you're havin rear seat passengers then the S80 is perfect. My local TD has one and gave me a lift one day. It was like a different county back there, I had to shout at him in the front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

no way, i would stay away.my dad has it and i swear to god it has a problem every month to two months.and service is very expensive especially from koping.:mad:
    thanks my opinion

I find Koping quite good but, yeah, they can be dear, tbh. But the S80s are prone to regular problems which can be expensive sometimes.

crosstownk wrote:
    I find Koping quite good but, yeah, they can be dear, tbh. But the S80s are prone to regular problems which can be expensive sometimes.

i know koping is great for service etc , i know the owner through my father, but they are expensive for servicing etc.im not sure but as far as i know my father has spent over 10k on fixing his car since he got his 1st s80 in 2000. now thats a bad sign of a volvo.

• Advertisement

drdre wrote:
    i know koping is great for service etc , i know the owner through my father, but they are expensive for servicing etc.im not sure but as far as i know my father has spent over 10k on fixing his car since he got his 1st s80 in 2000. now thats a bad sign of a volvo.
    Surely if your father knows the owner then he get it covered under "Warranty" :D

But, seriously, thats a lot of money on repairs - surely there is a legitimate case for Volvo to assume some responsibility and bear some of theses costs?

What went wrong with the car to incur such repair costs?

crosstownk wrote:
    Surely if your father knows the owner then he get it covered under "Warranty" :D

But, seriously, thats a lot of money on repairs - surely there is a legitimate case for Volvo to assume some responsibility and bear some of theses costs?

What went wrong with the car to incur such repair costs?

i know what you mean about warranty but he did get some things covered but mostly what was wrong was.
    radiatior went 2 times,kept over heating ALOT, stopped on road going to portloaise when overtaking a truck, lights fuse alot so i would think the electrics are ****ed.also steering wheel fluid leaks and alot of other leaks like oil or something as drive way is always marked with fluid.and many other problems.

Yep - I know about the steering problem and the lights. A lot of Volvos go though a lot of bulbs - others never blow even one. I've had my fair share of problems with S80s but I've alot that give no bother whatsoever.

There is a 5 speed box in some earlier S80s that claims to be the smallest 5 speed autobox ever - keep away from it - problematic and serious dough to replace.

crosstownk wrote:
    Yep - I know about the steering problem and the lights. A lot of Volvos go though a lot of bulbs - others never blow even one. I've had my fair share of problems with S80s but I've alot that give no bother whatsoever.

There is a 5 speed box in some earlier S80s that claims to be the smallest 5 speed autobox ever - keep away from it - problematic and serious dough to replace.

yeah my dad has the s80 t6.and the problem with it was that it was one of the 1st ones in ireland so there were bound to be problems.

T6 is an animal - I'd suffer the problems!! I had an S60 T5 for a few months and it impressed me so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks for the input, lads

Family member just bought this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

unkel wrote:
    Thanks for the input, lads

Family member just bought this one

It looks good, when I saw the thread I thought that was a big downgrade on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Squirrel wrote:
    when I saw the thread I thought that was a big downgrade on your part.

Oh no, it's not mine :)

@€;16.9k it sure was a sweat deal. The car is like new inside and out. The previous owner (from new) has taken a massive depreciation hit. A lot of car for the price of a new base model Toyota Yaris :eek:

Bring on the SSIA fuelled surge for '07 registrations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    Oh no, it's not mine :)

@€;16.9k it sure was a sweat deal. The car is like new inside and out. The previous owner (from new) has taken a massive depreciation hit. A lot of car for the price of a new base model Toyota Yaris :eek:

Bring on the SSIA fuelled surge for '07 registrations :D

A good price indeed. Not too far off half the price of a new low end BMW 1 Series or Audi A3.

With petrol prices still rising these type cars will continue to fall in price.

Advertisement