Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test waiting lists cut.

Options
  • 02-08-2006 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

It was in the news today about how only 11 new people were taken on to carry out testing. Well the waiting list in my centre was 34 weeks. The waiting list now given on the website is now 20 weeks and I just got called for a test which will be 17 weeks after i applied.

I think its a great improvment but still allows time for practice.

More of the same please Bertie!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

17 weeks is still a joke, but better than before obviously... 4 weeks would be ideal, that's still plently of time to practise.... Being realistic, it wouldn't take more than a week of driving for ANYONE to pass the driving test over here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

LundiMardi wrote:
    Being realistic, it wouldn't take more than a week of driving for ANYONE to pass the driving test over here!!

What's the fails rate? Somewhere around 50% for first time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I'm not sure i agree. I feel that around 3 months would be perfect because although it might be easy to pass its still important that people gain experience.
    For example, provisional licenced drivers shud be accompanied and shud display L plates. I the are not experienced but have a full licence other drivers will not be wary of them.
    It will lead to more safety on our roads...hopefully.

xebec wrote:

62% in my centre is the pass rate.
    Some places are as low as 48%

xebec wrote:
    Shut up, that's why!!!

I would bet that a high percentage of those fails are for completely rediculous reasons... Not to mention the oul myth that instructors are instructed to fail a certain amount per day.

• Advertisement

LundiMardi wrote:
    Shut up, that's why!!!

I would bet that a high percentage of those fails are for completely rediculous reasons... Not to mention the oul myth that instructors are instructed to fail a certain amount per day.

your right.
    The test itself needs a complete overhaul and drivers shud be required to have at least 10 hour driving experience with a registerd instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

whassupp2 wrote:
    provisional licenced drivers shud be accompanied

There is no requirement to be accompanied if:

1. it is the second provisional
    2. it is in category A,A1,M or W
    3. the person has held a provisional licence before 12/08/85

but I know what you mean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

LundiMardi wrote:
    I would bet that a high percentage of those fails are for completely rediculous reasons...

What people include as riduculous reasons are usually things that mean a car shouldn't be on the road. It's partly down to the poor standard of cars we have on our roads and more down to the poor standard of driver.

xebec wrote:
    What people include as riduculous reasons are usually things that mean a car shouldn't be on the road. It's partly down to the poor standard of cars we have on our roads and more down to the poor standard of driver.
    meh, a drivers capabilities are not effected by a car's roadworthyness. If a car has a valid NCT disk then technically they shouldn't be failed for that reason. Unless there are only 3 wheels or something haha:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

54 weeks is the waiting time and 52.9% pass rate in my centre, load of balls really.

• Advertisement

oh, i have a full licence by the way hahahaha... Look at ya with yer provisional licences hahaha *points and laughs*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

whassupp2 wrote:
    It was in the news today about how only 11 new people were taken on to carry out testing. Well the waiting list in my centre was 34 weeks. The waiting list now given on the website is now 20 weeks and I just got called for a test which will be 17 weeks after i applied.

I think its a great improvment but still allows time for practice.

More of the same please Bertie!!!

that was last yr I think, while the government refused to employ more public sectors workers while the list and and history of accidents went on (:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I think ye're missing the point about waiting times. IMO it shouldn't be longer than a month. The current delay shouldn't be viewed as a chance to learn how to drive or practice. A year, at least, should be spent learning how to drive, then apply for the test and be called reasonably quickly.
    Too many people make silly mistakes on the day of the test that have nothing to do with their driving. According to an ex driving tester that I know, alot fail without driving at all.
    Turning up late or not at all.
    Forgetting their driving licence.
    No documentation for the vehicle.
    Lights/indicators not working.
    Incorrect or no "L" plates.
    Not insured to drive the vehicle the bring for the test.
    All this raises the failure rate and has nothing to do with their actual driving.
    BTW, they wanted to hire alot more testers but could only take on 11 due to some public service restriction:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

where can i find out the waiting times at the various centers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

well its good drivers-to-be waits for road test drive. i know of a place where drivers could get license withought undergoing the test!...with money matters involved of course..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

well its good drivers-to-be waits for road test drive. i know of a place where drivers could get license withought undergoing the test!...with money matters involved of course..:mad:

dob them in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

LundiMardi wrote:
    Being realistic, it wouldn't take more than a week of driving for ANYONE to pass the driving test over here!!

A week? So you could decide on monday, you want to learn to drive, and be ready to pass the test a week later? Or a driver could decide, "hey, I can drive ok", apply, then swat the rules of the test for a week and pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Phew, thats still a long time to wait. :( I guess its a slight improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I applied for my test in Jan/feb. I did it last thursday.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mossy Monk wrote:
    http://www.drivingtest.ie/drivingtest/HTMLContent/frameset.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

applied last july,
    still waiting.

havent even got a date yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

LundiMardi wrote:
    oh, i have a full licence by the way hahahaha... Look at ya with yer provisional licences hahaha *points and laughs*.

All a full licence proves is that in a car, with an inspector, you were able to successfully complete various contrived tasks over a period of up to 45 minutes. After all, how often would you reverse around a corner, for example?

IMHO the test should be longer and tougher and at least include a period of driving on a dual carriageway. Furthermore, there should be a probationary period from the passing of a test, whereby ANY accumulation of points or conviction of a motoring offence would result in the loss of the licence.

I would also refer to my post some time ago about mandatory lessons prior to taking a test. (If I could find the bloody thing!!!!):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Mossy Monk wrote:

The official driving test website http://www.drivingtest.ie/drivingtest/HTMLContent/frameset.html
    will give you the official figures.
    It shows Dublin Churctown as 50 weeks, Dublin Rathgar as 50 weeks and Dublin Tallaght as 58 weeks as of today, but they are probably figures up to end of 2005 - Government websites are kept very up to date!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The official driving test website http://www.drivingtest.ie/drivingtest/HTMLContent/frameset.html
    will give you the official figures.
    It shows Dublin Churctown as 50 weeks, Dublin Rathgar as 50 weeks and Dublin Tallaght as 58 weeks as of today, but they are probably figures up to end of 2005 - Government websites are kept very up to date!!
    There's nothing like a bit of assumption!
    **Longest weeks waiting on 3 July 2006. Waiting times are approximated and indicative only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

What does it matter how hard the test is, or how long you have to wait to sit it - when so many people are driving round unnaccompanied on a provisional license?

I'd say though, that it's partly because there's such a waiting time for the test that people do just give up and drive anyway. It would really improve things if they could bring the waiting time down to 4-6 weeks then people might actually bother taking it...

It also seems to be a reflection of the general lack of respect for rules (either of the road, or of the system) that I've noticed, that contributes to the bad driving.

I hope this doesn't come across in the wrong way - I'm loving this place and mostly because of the Irish people - but it's very easy to draw comparisons like that within the short time (since feb) that I've been here. I really hope that over time the system will be refined and people will have a bit more respect for the requirements to be on the road here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

I did my driving test 20 years ago. Wait-time was about 4 months - they even had a waiver for people with provisional licences over 2 years that I missed by 10 minutes or something.

Today nothing has changed except European law - they cannot do this waiver anymore.

There is no acceptable reason why this problem has been allowed to perpetuate and fester for 20 years!

We simply have a government that is interested

... in their pensions and little besides!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is no requirement to be accompanied if:

1. it is the second provisional
    2. it is in category A,A1,M or W
    3. the person has held a provisional licence before 12/08/85

but I know what you mean :D
    I actually know someone who has held a provisional licence prior to 12/08/85 and is still driving on it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Still a 44 week waiting time for me. Not that pushed, as once I feel I'm ready, I can get a letter from work. Either way, I only started driving properly about 2 weeks ago (and yes, I've had 8 lessons so far from a proper driving instructor)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

IMHO the test should be longer and tougher and at least include a period of driving on a dual carriageway. Furthermore, there should be a probationary period from the passing of a test, whereby ANY accumulation of points or conviction of a motoring offence would result in the loss of the licence.

That just wouldn't work in Ireland because of our fabulous road infrastructure. Most of the country does not have motorways or dual carriageways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

kaizersoze wrote:
    I think ye're missing the point about waiting times. IMO it shouldn't be longer than a month. The current delay shouldn't be viewed as a chance to learn how to drive or practice. A year, at least, should be spent learning how to drive, then apply for the test and be called reasonably quickly.

That is why provision has been made in recent legislation for a period in which learner drivers may not apply to do a driving test! It isn't in force yet, but is law.

It is right too. It does take well more than a month to learn how to drive and be able to anticipate danger. By learning to drive I don't mean learning how to use the clutch and handbrake, but properly control a car! The latter is far more difficult, and I can see my sister, who has been driving over 4 months is not really able to do that yet.

Advertisement