Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Becoming a Driving Instructor/Taxi Man

Options
  • 03-08-2006 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking it would be handy to have these two as a part time income. How easy/difficult is it to become a taxi man or a driving instructor?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You'll need a brass neck for the first one and nerves of steel for the second, have you got the metal for either one?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I reckon I'd be ok at it as a part time, small dosed side job:) I could drive past people looking for a taxi to check them out and then reverse if they look alright etc etc;)

And do you know everything and could you run a country? Thats a major factor with the Taxi job.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This may be better in Work/Jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

junkyard wrote:
    You'll need a brass neck for the first one and nerves of steel for the second, have you got the metal for either one?:)

Do both at same time, get a car with a big L sign and taxi sign and have your student drive the fares around (with you supervising). :D

Seriously, as far as I know, procedure for driving instructor is have full licence, get appropriate insurance cover, and start advertising.

For a taxi driver I think it,s get tax clearance certificate and go apply for PVC licence at carriage office. Take exam and get licence. Get taxi plate, get meter for car, get it calibrated, get sign and you're off.

• Advertisement

gabhain7 wrote:
    Do both at same time, get a car with a big L sign and taxi sign and have your student drive the fares around (with you supervising). :D

Now your talking...you might even get a FAS grant.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

gabhain7 wrote:

Seriously, as far as I know, procedure for driving instructor is have full licence, get appropriate insurance cover, and start advertising.

For a taxi driver I think it,s get tax clearance certificate and go apply for PVC licence at carriage office. Take exam and get licence. Get taxi plate, get meter for car, get it calibrated, get sign and you're off.

I also think you need to change your insurance level as well.
    Big outlay in year 1 to become a taxi driver. Would mebbe cover costs if doing it part-time. I think its year 2-3 before you start getting ahead.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wouldn't that be paradoxical?
    On the one hand you want to show your excellent driving skills (instructor) and on the other you want to show you lack of them (taxi driver)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

cormie wrote:
    I've been thinking it would be handy to have these two as a part time income. How easy/difficult is it to become a taxi man or a driving instructor?

Any feedback appreciated:)

These 2 are the most incompatible jobs i know (speaking as a driving instructor). One is trying to teach safety, responsible driving, getting people to do things everybody else ignores.
    The other gives me the best examples i know for explaining 'How NOT to do it' to my pupils. i.e how not to stop in the middle of cross raods / go through red lights / cut people up / speed / etc etc.

Don't think these 2 will ever be compatible.

Beware about the driving instructor though. If Martin - evoting expert, now driving expert - Cullen gets his way you will have to go through all sorts of expensive testsand checks to be an instructor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

There's a scheme being introduced to regulate driving instructors, so you may want to look into that.

If you're going to be a taxi driver you also need to make sure you can buy the tattiest Jap import Toyota you can lay your hands on. The smaller the better. Bonus credit if it's got manky velour seats. Extra bonus if the driver seat has one of those "massager" seat covers made of wooden beads.

kbannon: you took the words out of my mouth.

• Advertisement

Hehe, well I'd keep to the safe driving in the taxi too;)

What costs are involved in becomming a taxi driver? Can I only Taxi in Co. Dublin or can I do it wherever I want? What kind of test is it? I heard it's a test to see if you can figure out the best route to get to somewhere? Is there a specific type of car you need to be a taxi driver? Would I have to be part of a company, with their own phone number or could I stick my mobile number on the taxi?

Re Instructor: Would I need a dual controlled car? (that would be fun for the passengers of the taxi, jamming on etc) and can the dual control be disabled? Is it expensive to install? How much would insurance be to cover being an instructor if I'm paying about 1K at the moment for my own third party? If I become an instructor now, once the regulations are in, can I continue to instruct or would I have to pass some test in order to do it? Would I need a specific car to be an instructor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭MikeHunt

have a look on the forum at taxi.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

cormie wrote:

Re Instructor: Would I need a dual controlled car? (that would be fun for the passengers of the taxi, jamming on etc) and can the dual control be disabled? Is it expensive to install? How much would insurance be to cover being an instructor if I'm paying about 1K at the moment for my own third party? If I become an instructor now, once the regulations are in, can I continue to instruct or would I have to pass some test in order to do it? Would I need a specific car to be an instructor?

All instructors will have to pass the test.

TBH there is no way you should be able to become an instructor yet. You are only driving a short while yourself. There should be a minimum period (around 5 years) of experienced driving before anyone should be allowed to become an instructor.

Why do you reckon? I don't think time should be the deciding factor on your capabilities as a driver. I've passed the provisional ignition, the full test 1st time, the full ignition and have no penalty points or "driving" ;) offences. I'm driving 2.5 years and have done a fair amount of mileage and driven in all types of conditions. I make a big effort to drive the "right" way and if I'm unsure of anything I'll make sure to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

As far as driving a taxi part time goes, the taxi regulator has brought in a rake of new rules to cut it out, it's possible, but you will pay tax on the top rate on all your earnings.A plate cost €6000,sign/meter/printer approx €800/1000, insurance could be €5000 or more, your ncb will be ignored because you haven't driven a taxi before, apparently once you put a sign on the roof it becomes a completly different car:rolleyes: The test involves 100 questions and I think a 70% pass, it could be 70 questions with a 90% pass, I can't remember. You will also have to put up with smartass remarks about taxi drivers from everyone, but you get used to it

Croikey that's expensive! I didn't know a plate would be so much! So we're talking about a 12K investmet overall. Then I'd need to upgrade my car too, can't have a 3 door taxi:o I wonder what kind of return I'd get on that over say, 1 year doing it part time. I thought it was going to be cheaper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

The only time you can make any money in a taxi is at the weekend, you could driver after work midweek but you will only make pocket money. So if you are willing to work 7 days a week, your job and a taxi at the weekend, you could make a killing;) but be aware,as I mentioned above, every penny you make through both jobs will be taxed at the top rate,42% is it.So you could make a return on your investment by about 2012.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

kbannon wrote:
    Wouldn't that be paradoxical?
    On the one hand you want to show your excellent driving skills (instructor) and on the other you want to show you lack of them (taxi driver)!

Hahaha you beat me too it...by a long way :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Now it is starting to get dark earlier again, I remebered your post about doing the 2 jobs. When I am finished as driving instructor and going home in the dark people often try and flag me down thinking the headbord is a taxi. Most folk get embarresed especially when i stop and ask if they want lessons, did that to two girls about 11am last night!!.

Maybe both jobs could be combined. Lets see if cullen allows it in his new regulations

I was thinking that alright myself, and imagine the amount of business you'd get in a taxi. Not driving or have you had a few drinks? You should start driving blah blah blah and once you convince them, oh I give lessons too:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

patience required for Driving Instructors...at maximum level :D you have it i suppose?...

I do indeed. I'm known to be very laid back and patient. My customers will need patience, I'll probably be late to every appointment because I stopped along the way to chill in the sun for a while;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Any news on the taxi driving part cormie? Want to get into this myself when i'm out of my time in around 2 years time.

-VB-

Advertisement