Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on Footpaths

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

The primary reason for cycle lanes is to prevent cyclists from slowing down the traffic and knocking down pedestrians, as well as EU compliance, and the promotion of urban cycling (more cyclists -> less traffic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

The primary reason for cycle lanes is to prevent cyclists from slowing down the traffic and knocking down pedestrians, as well as EU compliance, and the promotion of urban cycling (more cyclists -> less traffic)
    You've stated more than one reason. Only one of them can be the primary one. Is it the first one?

As regards, pedestrian safety, the opposite is the case as the local authorities have been unlawfully designating footpaths as 'shared used cycleways and footways' even thought they're required by law to provide separate areas for each when they do so.

I doubt if EU compliance figures as the standards for cycle lanes/tracks are not fully codified here and the local authorities are unable to observe the basic legal requirements for signage & surface markings. The Irish regulations are not in line with Europe & so-called 'best practice' is a the whim for the local authorites.

There's no evidence that the local authorities have any kind of plan to promote urban cycling.

The 'Dublin Strategic Cycling Network' is just a cynical rebranding exercise. The same roads we had 20 years ago, rebranded as a 'cycle network'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 matressmonkey

What I know for sure about cycling on roads and cycle paths is that if there is a cycle path provided, then you, as a cyclist, must use it.

I was informed of this by a friendly motor-cycle guard about a year ago on my way home from work one evening. I was cycling on the road via Carysfort Avenue, and was pulled over and directed to use the cycle path.

It was illegal NOT to use the cyclepath when it was provided I was informed. Fair enough.

Now, I was reminded of this liaison with the guard the other day when a bleeding big bus pulled out of the bus lane as it drove along Pearse St. and into the adjacent lane, directly blocking my way.

It then remained in this lane until the very end of Pearse St., at which stage it then pulled back into the bus lane because it wanted to go straight on past the Guarda HQ [which is blocked to cars these days]

So, the question begs: if there is a bus lane provided and the bus doesn't use it, what's the story there? - has anyone seen a guard pull a bus over for not using a provided bus lane? - ok, has anyone seen a guard?

MM

What I know for sure about cycling on roads and cycle paths is that if there is a cycle path provided, then you, as a cyclist, must use it.

There's a few exceptions, for example if it's blocked by a legally parked car. Absurdly, it's could be an offence to move out to pass an illegally parked one.

I was stopped on the North-Strand inbound for not using a cycle-path. The Garda, let me go once I explained that the no cycle-path existed because it was not lawfully marked/signed.

It might be worth your whille checking the signage on any cyclepaths which are on footpaths, as it's quite common for the local authorites to ignore the relevant statutory regulations. For example, by not marking out separate pedestrian and cyclist areas and by erecting signs which are not legally sanctioned, typically the one showing pedestrians and a bike.

These are a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cfriel2002

Dedicated on road cycle lanes - solid white lines and penalty points, is this being enforced ?

Cycle ~ 5k each way every day, fortunate enough to have a cycle lane most of the route (even if it is on road) but have 3-4 cases every day with cars driving through cycle to pass car in front turning right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

robfitz wrote:
    A cyclist can use a bus lane at anytime, a cyclist is not allowed use a contra bus lane.
    Is this the case though if there is a seperate cycle lane/path? I ask because although I can use the cycle lane in from Bray to Donnybrook the one exception is the bit downhill from Stillorgan to Foster's Avenue where it is bumpity-bump with the driveways (in the other direction it is the bit before Foxrock Church.) I use the bus lane for that (generally going around 50-60km/h, and never during rush hour) and on more than one occasion I have had a bus driver literally try to kill me (overtake with only inches and then swerve into me as he is going past.)

blorg wrote:
    Is this the case though if there is a seperate cycle lane/path?
    If the cycle lane/path has been designated with the correct legallly defined signs, cyclists must use it or face a fine

These rules were quietly passed into law back in 1997/1998 but few people are aware of them as they were not debated in the Dail and do not appear in the current edition of the 'Rules of Road.

If the cycle lane/path has been designated with the correct legallly defined signs, cyclists must use it or face a fine

These rules were quietly passed into law back in 1997/1998 but few people are aware of them as they were not debated in the Dail and do not appear in the current edition of the 'Rules of Road.
    I suspected that was the case; the current Rules of the Road say "should" use cycle lanes while the new draft says "must" use cycle lanes.

blorg wrote:
    I suspected that was the case; the current Rules of the Road say "should" use cycle lanes while the new draft says "must" use cycle lanes.
    The new draft also shows a sign depicting a bicycle and pedestrians. This sign not a sign defined in the regulations. At present, it's unlawful, as is any cycle 'facility' which is not separated by a line from the pedestrian section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

I saw the old women with the zimmerframe. Got to admit that is some exercise going up and down the Phoenix Park first thing in the morning! I cycle on the side of the road. I get no hassle from any car, gards unless it was my supidity which was once. Apart from that it is faster then the cyclepath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

think I saw you this morn! ;-) I was on the cycle path and she walks every morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I was stopped on the North-Strand inbound for not using a cycle-path. The Garda, let me go once I explained that the no cycle-path existed because it was not lawfully marked/signed.
    I would love to have seen that conversation, I know you really know your stuff and probably made him look like an ignorant fool. Did he challenge you or did he just accept it? i.e. did he ring anybody to find out the law (most gardai are ignorant of actual laws).

I would love to see a thread started showing all the "cycle-lanes" that are not legal.
    I have always felt the stretch from whites cross to foxrock church is a bit suspect sinage wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Any of you Dublin cyclists know what the official designation of that section of Leeson Street stretching from Stephen's Green to Hatch Street is?

On the face of it, it would appear to be a contra-flow bus lane (which doesn't permit bikes, as Rob Fitz pointed out). However, there is a broken white lane along the left, indicating what appears to be a cycle track (albeit a non-mandatory one).

I suppose my question is: am I justified in cycling up that street? I've been doing it five days a week for two years and never yet been stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

the section of Leeson Street stretching from Stephen's Green to Hatch Street ... would appear to be a contra-flow bus lane (which doesn't permit bikes, as Rob Fitz pointed out). However, there is a broken white lane along the left, indicating what appears to be a cycle track
    I've noticed this contradiction too, doesn't stop me or anyone else cycling on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I know. What I'm wondering is if the road is designated (with signage) a contra-flow bus lane, can you still be arrested? Or does the presence of the broken white lane introduce a substantial enough amount of "counter-signage" to justify cycling in it in the eyes of the law?

Motorcycle cops can be a narky bunch - I like to have my argument ready for them.
    Mucco wrote:
    I've noticed this contradiction too, doesn't stop me or anyone else cycling on it.

I would be _very_ surprised if a garda stopped you from cycling in any contra-flow bus lane, much less that one. They don't tend to know the law themselves and the "no cycling in a contra-flow bus lane" rule is _not_ well known; most people think cycling in bus lanes is allowed (unless there is a cycle track, where a helpful minority of Dublin Bus drivers will educate you on why you shouldn't be in the bus lane by trying to kill you.)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

BTW ...not all contra-flow bus lanes are bus only. For instance the contra-flow bus lane at the Model School in Inchicore that goes under the railway track is designated for Bus and Bike. I know this because there is a picture of a bus and a push bike on a sign, so i am hazarding a guess that is what it means...:)

Sure, but they are bus only unless bikes are specifically mentioned. Although TBH that sign could just have been included because the people putting it up were no more aware of the contra-flow bike prohibition than 99.99% of the rest of the population. Honestly, you can safely ignore the contra-flow bike prohibition on _any_ bus lane because no-one knows about it (other than cyclists who research the law and _possibly_ the murderous minority of Dublin Bus drivers.)

Advertisement