Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know these songs?

Options
  • 03-08-2006 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey there,

Hoping some of you can help me with these songs – they’re all (bar the last) frequently played on Phantom but I don’t know what they are. Here are some lyrics from each (bear in mind this is as my rapidly decreasing hearing interprets them!) Can you identify them? Any help much appreciated – Google drew a blank on each! Apologies if some of these are really obvious!

1)
    Female vocal, trumpet in the chorus!
    “Boy do you feel the same do you feel the same”
    “Boy do you hear me sing do you hear me sing, no..and I didn’t mind, I didn’t mind.”…
    Chorus sounds like “You can’t hurry love” - so when you search on Google you get 457 pages of Supremes and Phil Collins!

2)

Male vocal

“Look at all these people in the street”
    “All the lights are on but it’s a shame that there ain’t no one home… we don’t have to be on our own anymore”
    “I see tears behind smiles and you know it’s no surprise”

3)
    Female vocal – slow, nice song

“Remember Me who we are and who we used to be before we met”
    “Discover me in a way you’ve never seen before more or less”
    Don’t look back on what could have been before should have been
    Your sets you apart from everyone that I know
    Remember Me Remember You
    “You took my smile and all my energy
    You stole my heart and all my memories”
    Follow me into a world of sadness
    Ripped apart at the bottom of the earth you’ll find me

4) Sounds a lot like the Moldy Peaches but I think it may be Irish? Male and Female vocal interchanging

“These dancing steps are out of time. That’s why that woman won’t be mine…
    He just can’t dance, he’s out of time
    That losing bastard won’t be mine”
    He won’t be mine (he won’t be mine)

5)
    Male vocal, English? Fairly poppy song

“I came, I saw, I conquered…
    When I return, I’ll play you a friendly?
    Coochie coochie coo in half the time”
    Something about a “wide wide world”!

6)

Vocals on this sound a lot like his Bononess

“Tuck me in I need to sleep now”
    “Now do you see how here in the margins blowing up above”
    “I see now how life wins(?) when all that’s left is love”
    “All that’s left is love”

7)
    Same artist as above?

“I put that boy in his grave
    I took my hanging rope you know he had no hope
    He met his maker down by ?
    Jesus forgive my prayer, forgive my soul”

8)
    Heard this a couple of days back prefaced by that ‘Best of Irish Music on Phantom’ trailer, so presumable it’s homegrown? Intro'd by a base line on its own. Male vocal.

"We may be seen to be together
    We may be seen to walk together
    We may be seen however
    However this will be the last time
    Look by your side
    I’m telling you this will the last time...
    You know I’ll buy a car whatever.."

9)
    Finally, I’ve never heard this on Phantom or anywhere else in the last 15 years but some of the over 30s might remember it. Late 80s, some Irish band I think – for some bizarre reason it's stuck in my head the last fortnight! I remember it being on that programme that used to be broadcast on RTE2 from inside an old church. Tune is a lot better than the lyrics would suggest! Male vocal and sounds well, eighties-ish.

“no more living without you yes I'm glad I found you this could be the one… I know I know
    Is there any point in living without your love?
    Any point in living without your love?
    Hold on, hold on and hold on til the end”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 J Caddell

Hi saintgaz

I can help you with a couple of these. The first one is "You Can't Hurry Love" by The Concretes, from their debut album. The sixth one is Echo & The Bunnymen "In The Margins" from their latest album "Siberia", and the ninth one is Then Jerico's "The Motive", from their debut album "First (The Sound Of Music" from 1987.

I should really know all of them, as I add all the music to Phantom, but there's over 800 songs on there, and me brain is fuzzy. I'll get back to you if the others occur to me.

Cheers

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

its nice to have a fuzzy brain.. specially when its drug induced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭saintgaz

J Caddell wrote:
    Hi saintgaz

I can help you with a couple of these. The first one is "You Can't Hurry Love" by The Concretes, from their debut album. The sixth one is Echo & The Bunnymen "In The Margins" from their latest album "Siberia", and the ninth one is Then Jerico's "The Motive", from their debut album "First (The Sound Of Music" from 1987.

I should really know all of them, as I add all the music to Phantom, but there's over 800 songs on there, and me brain is fuzzy. I'll get back to you if the others occur to me.

Cheers

John

Thanks for those John, any further flashbacks much appreciated. Jayzus, Then Jericho, there's a blast from the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Sorry to butt in on this thread but does anyone know the song by a scottish band (i think) about this 'boy' who writes a letter to this 'girl' in spoken voice and they start this long kind of communication. Its been bugging me as I have nothing else to go on.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

bing3 wrote:
    Sorry to butt in on this thread but does anyone know the song by a scottish band (i think) about this 'boy' who writes a letter to this 'girl' in spoken voice and they start this long kind of communication. Its been bugging me as I have nothing else to go on.
    Cheers

that would be looper - impossible things #2

some of these songs are familar.. i must check them out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 stereo_carol

bing3 wrote:
    Cheers

Also sounds a lot like Arab Strap, who used to get played a bit on Phantom... They're pretty good, it's a scottish guy talkin through most of it, hope that helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭QM79

saintgaz wrote:
    8)
    Heard this a couple of days back prefaced by that ‘Best of Irish Music on Phantom’ trailer, so presumable it’s homegrown? Intro'd by a base line on its own. Male vocal.

"We may be seen to be together
    We may be seen to walk together
    We may be seen however
    However this will be the last time
    Look by your side
    I’m telling you this will the last time...
    You know I’ll buy a car whatever.."

That's Director and 'Last Time'. A great new-ish Irish band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

saintgaz wrote:
    Hey there,

4) Sounds a lot like the Moldy Peaches but I think it may be Irish? Male and Female vocal interchanging

“These dancing steps are out of time. That’s why that woman won’t be mine…
    He just can’t dance, he’s out of time
    That losing bastard won’t be mine”
    He won’t be mine (he won’t be mine)

the band is El Diablo the song is either called dancing steps or dancing shoes can't member which..been trying to get that song for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

number 3 is 'remember me, remember you' by the radio, from their album 'kindness'. great album :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

bing3 wrote:
    Cheers
    That's: Looper - Impossible Things #2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Bad Intentions

If you want an mp3 of Dancing Steps by El Diablo you can go here:
    www.myspace.com/eldiabloband.
    I just put one up so it might take 24 hours to appear there.

Kev from El Diablo has a band called Herm who have an album coming out soon
    He has some music here: http://artists.cpu.ie/bands/351/

And me from El Diablo also has a new band called Patrick Freyne and his Bad Intentions and we've an album out in October. You can listen to some work in progress here:
    www.myspace.com/patrickfreyneandhisbadintentions
    and here:
    www.sonicbids.com/patrickfreyneandhisbadintentions

nice to have a query about that song. The EP it came from has been out of print since about 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

excellent thanks man

Advertisement