Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

headset/bottom bracket/cranks

Options
  • 03-08-2006 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    if I want to maintain those 3 pieces of my bike, what tools do I need?
    I can see a few candidates in the tools section of ChainReaction, but I ain't too sure what exactly I'll need. Anyone have any experience with this?

many thanks

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Headset:
    - is it Aheadset or "normal" threadset?
    Maintainence: Essentially none! open the headset to the bearings once in a while and regrease.
    Tools: most likely 5mm allen key.

Bottom Bracket:
    Definitely none - most likely this is a sealed unit and should be left alone. You can check if it is a cartridge or just an axle around bearings by taking the crank off.

Cranks:
    Tools required: Crank Extractor if cartridge or socket (14mm most likely) if just axle.
    What to do: thread in the bottom half of the extractor tool till it rests "firmly" but not over tight against the crank arm. thread in the main part of the extractor until it tightens against the BB. then tighten on slowely and it will pull the crank arm off.

When putting it back on, I usually cleaned out the square hole in the crank from all grime, and cleared the grime off the BB axle. Then apply a small bit of grease to the BB axle and to the inside of the crank arm. Slide the arm on again and firmly tighten the retaining bolt.

I usually kept the 8mm allen key with me for the next couple of journeys because the crank would settle and I would tighten it as it did.

Hope that helps.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

thanks mate,
    here is what I believe I have...

Headset: Specialized Mindset, 1 1/8" integrated threadless, sealed cartridge bearings, carbon 20mm cone with two 5mm alloy spacers.

Bottom bracket: It was FSA integrated, exterior cartridge bearings, alloy.
    I just had it upgraded for free by Specialized because something was wrong with that one. Have no idea what exactly it is now.

Crankset: FSA Gossamer MegaExo, 2-piece crankset

all that is according to the Specialized website, bike is about 3 months old

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

King Raam wrote:
    Headset: Specialized Mindset, 1 1/8" integrated threadless, sealed cartridge bearings, carbon 20mm cone with two 5mm alloy spacers.

Cool.

The way to get at the headset is to:
    1) loosen the allen key on the top of the stem.
    2) loosen the allen keys on the side of the stem.
    -- now in theory the handlebars and stem should lift off from the top of the steerer tube (the bit of the forks that goes up through the front of the frame and the top and bottom of the headset.
    -- if you lift the front of the bike up the steerer tube/forks/front wheel should stay on the ground -i.e. the steerer tube is falling through the frame.
    3) when it has dropped a couple of cm's, you can see the bottom headset race either "on top" of the forks or still stuck "under" the headset/frame.
    4) You can grease these now.
    5) to get at the top headset bearing race, you probably need to lift a dust cover from the top of the headset.
    6) Grease in here when you can see the bearings.
    7) put it back together:
    a) rest the frame back down on the forks and slip the stem over the top of the steerer tube. tighten the top allen key on the stem and when it is tight, lift the bike near the bottom headset race - essentially under the forks/front brake. This pushes the forks up through the headset if they were slightly off due to the steerer angle.
    b) tighten the top stem allen key again.
    c) once this is tight, you can put the bike down again and tighten the two side allen key bolts. This clamps the stem onto the steerer tube.
    8) again, make sure that you tighten the allen keys over the next couple of journeys because the bumps will loosen the stem from the headset.

It is good to do this once every couple of months or more regularly if you do high milage. Any time that the handle bars seem to rock forward and back the stem has lifted slightly and should be reseated as described.

King Raam wrote:
    Bottom bracket: It was FSA integrated, exterior cartridge bearings, alloy.
    I just had it upgraded for free by Specialized because something was wrong with that one. Have no idea what exactly it is now.

Sounds like a sealed unit. Leave it alone. Maybe clear the grime away from it every now and again but you won't be able to open it up. I replaced the BB on my Mountainbike a couple of years ago but it is a difficult job and you shouldnt have to do it.
    King Raam wrote:
    Crankset: FSA Gossamer MegaExo, 2-piece crankset
    yeah, that should be as I described above with the crank extractor.

What bike do you have by the way? It sounds like a racer/hybrid.

L

Tis an Allez Elite.

thanks for all the pointers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Since you have an external bottom bracket the instructions are different to the above. Details here:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=122
    As nereid says, modern BBs generally don't need servicing - just replacement when they wear out.

The headset instructions are spot-on. But these ones have pictures!
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

• Advertisement

would there ever be occasion where I might need to tighten anything with my bottom bracket, i.e. the silver bits where the crank arm meets the bike frame? (see attached pic)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Those are the bearing cups. It's pretty unlikely that they'll work loose so you should be fine. If there's any looseness in that area you'll probably just need to tighten the cranks or replace worn-out bearings.

Advertisement