Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brakes sqeeking - Very annoying!!!

Options
  • 03-08-2006 9:31am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok, have an issue when I'm braking, the brakes sqeek and its really starting to p*ss me off.. :mad:

I only had the break pads replaced a few months back when I got new tyres on the car and the brakes arent spongy or anything, no problems stopping as I've had 2 ocassions when I've had to make serious emergency stops (one idiot motorist & one kid who ran out in front of me after a ball!! :eek: )

I've had a look at the disks and they arent dirty, Ive power hosed them and dried the breaks out and tested again, but they are still sqeeking..

Anyone any ideas?

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have the same thing and changed the pads and discs myself about 2 months ago. Anyone know why this happens

oh and the reason i changed the discs and pads is because they were sqeeking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

it's annoying me too, I got my car my car serviced and got it back with screeching brakes. gonna bring it to fast fit and get them to re-calibrate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Smear a small amount of copper grease on the disks. That should sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Somtimes hard compound pads can squeal. Did you put copper grease BEHIND the pad, between the pad and piston?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

alias no.9 wrote:
    Smear a small amount of copper grease on the disks. That should sort it out.
    I don't think you meant to say on the discs. Back of the pads or something?

Could be a few reasons for the squeaking. Rim of the disc rubbing off a caliper or top of pad maybe. Have you given them a good inspection? How do the pads wear? Is there even wear on both pads? (So that they wear down to the same depth at the same rate?) Is the wear even from the top to the bottom of each pad? If there's any dirt or grit or anything that can cause unevenness between the piston(s), carriers, calipers and pads this can cause uneven wear and something will rub against something else on each revolution of the disc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement