Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Mouse Drift" on Dell Latitudes ????

• 03-08-2006 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Since about 2000 approx. I can recall an awfull lot of Dell Latitude Laptops suffering from what is generally called "mouse drift" - basically mouse pointer takes off in a particular direction, repeatedly & stubbornly for up to a minute or two at a time [GRRRRR] and drives you to dementia.

I think this is because a ribbon cable to the pointer stick in the keyboard is affected by the Latitudes paper thin plastic case - palm-rest area in particular.

My own Latitude - an old C610 is doing this a lot now - anyone got a cure ?

I've heard of people cutting the cable to the pointer stick and thus solving the problem while settling for just having a trackpad - which I could live with....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 iopjkl

Reinstall the Synaptics Touchpad Driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks for your reply - will do. Anyone else recommend causes / cures for this one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

There's no really straightforward solution for this...by all means, reinstall the driver, upgrade the bios etc...the problem will probably come back eventually...if you go through the dell forums, you'll see they've tried pretty much everything, including replacing all the components involved...your best bet I would say is to disconnect/disable the touchpad and pointer in the bios and use a mouse whenever you can, only using the other options when on the move.

Sorry I have no better suggestions, but Dell really screwed up on this one...like the '8ik' problem in the cpx series laptops, they never had the will to fix it as it would have been too expensive to replace all the affected machines...they just ignored it instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Raiser wrote:
    Thanks for your reply - will do. Anyone else recommend causes / cures for this one ?

Hi Raiser,

I work on a HP Customer account that has about 50 of these units (c600 and C610) still in service, the cause of the problem is acctually to do with Heat. The touchpad on the units are really badly made, generally they vear off in a diagnal motion to the top right of your screen; because the majority of heat comes from the mid right part of the unit (right hand side of the keyboard).

Like has been said in the above posts, there is no solution; however check if your fan is clogged up with stuff if so just clean it out and it might make the laptop run a bit cooler and might slow the process.

The only solution we could provide at work was replace the units for a brand new laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Buy a SMALL laptop,usb 2.0 mouse.10euro approx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

mossieh wrote:
    Sorry I have no better suggestions, but Dell really screwed up on this one...like the '8ik' problem in the cpx series laptops, they never had the will to fix it as it would have been too expensive to replace all the affected machines...they just ignored it instead.

From what I remember the problem originated with a lot of laptops designed around early to mid 2001 and at the time Dell canned a lot of their design teams in Austin, leaving nobody to analyse and fix the problem. A colleague also suggested it was something to do with the kind of metal that was in the keybord/palmrest.

You should be able to order a new palmrest and keyboard, which might fix it for under 50 euros, also try disabling the pointer, sometimes fixes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I,m left handed,i got laptec laptop optical mouse pro,small light laptop usb mouse,much more comfortable and faster than using mousepad,bout 30percent smaller than standard mouse,it also has a great scroll whell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

- Thanks for all the replies folks (was away last few weeks) - will experiment some more and post back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

My old thinkpad did this a lot.

Never found a solution i'm afraid. It sorted itself out when it warmed up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭deadbloke

I had this problem with my Dell Inspiron 8600. It was just an annoyance for a couple of months, but then got very bad, and I couldn't control the cursor at all. Tried re-installing drivers, and was about to buy a usb mouse, when someone told me to disable the pointer stick. This worked a treat, as I never use the stick anyway. The touchpad still works completely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement