Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Flat Roof Question

Options
  • 03-08-2006 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I have another flat roof that probably also needs to be refelted. It is over my garage and there is a wall either side of it (i.e. 2 story house either side and single story flat roof) I was planning on doing it myself but I am not 100% sure what to do when the felt meets the wall, is there any need to take off some plaster, run the felt up the wall and replaster? OR is it possible to run the felt up a few inches to the current lip of plaster. I was looking at my neighbours roof and it looks like they ran they ran the felt up and put a small amount of plaster under the current lip?
    Hope that is clear, I'll try get some photos over the weekend. (excuse the rough diagram below

Cheers
    P

| |
    | |
    | |
    | <--- Wall/Plaster ---> |
    -- --
    | <---Felt---> |
    | | |
    | V |
    //

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dmaher1

i've just built a flat roofed extension and did it the following way.

For roofing I got a 2 layers of covering from B & Q - one layer of underlay and one layer of what looks like traditional felt. On the rolls of underlay and felt there are clear instructions on how to do this with diagrams. So just go to B & Q if you want to see these. marleywaterproofing.com is site with details.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think he is asking about the abbitment junction and not the roof buildup.
    If this was to be built from stratch, you would use a flashing at the junction. And when retro fitting like this the original flashing should be re-used.
    But it aqppears that you have no flashing. Ideally you shuld remove some of the render, fit a flashing and lap it over the felt. And then re-plaster the section of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Like most building there are rules to follow when roofing, you should fit an angle fillet at the junction between the wall and the roof, the waterproofing should be carried up at least 150 mm (6") from the roof deck (surface).

Fit a lead cover flashing into the walls and dress it over the waterproofing, it does a lot more than just cover the joint between the felt and the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

Thanks guys
    there is some led flashing at the front of the building, which is around 20% of it, the remainder at the sides just looks like it is run under the render.

Advertisement