Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

louts around for the races

Options
  • 03-08-2006 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

was gettin the bus from town to balybrit on monday morning and as i was waintin for the bus (07.20am)i looked straight across the road to see a expensive looking b.m.w. and heard redneck/lout chants 50 yards to the cars right,there was 3 or 4 lads and they were moving towards the direction of the beamer, i could see a glint in their eye and as they were goin past it one of the drunken lads tried to kick the mirror of it but failed miserably and lost his balance,i thought at this stage that the lads would have copped on and fcuked off and went to bed for themselves but for some reason they stopped 5 yards after the car and started laughing at something,then one of the lads(prob the leader) went back and tried to open the door of the car with no such look laughed and walked off!

now this is just 1 of many examples i could give of the sort of louts that we get around for the races that treat the streets of galway as a playground for themselves for the week:eek:

thoughts please......................................

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They would have come from as far away as Tuam or Ballinasloe to be at the races you know, you yourself must have lead an awful sheltered life that you never noticed these people before ??

I remember the same class of yobbos years back taking a walk (stagger) thru whitestrand to get to salthill and kicking cars as they went, the guards in Mill st did what they could to say they could do nothing about it but when the Whitestrand people INSISTED on reporting the continous damage and that the guards TAKE the reports DOWN the guards showed up one day and caught some of them, like wow !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

To be fair, I think it's a credit that Galway can deal with 5 or 6 days of street drinking and not have problems with fights, assualts, arrests etc. Sure there's louts, but generally they are more of an annoyance than a harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

was gettin the bus from town to balybrit on monday morning and as i was waintin for the bus (07.20am)i looked straight across the road to see a expensive looking b.m.w. and heard redneck/lout chants 50 yards to the cars right,there was 3 or 4 lads and they were moving towards the direction of the beamer, i could see a glint in their eye and as they were goin past it one of the drunken lads tried to kick the mirror of it but failed miserably and lost his balance,i thought at this stage that the lads would have copped on and fcuked off and went to bed for themselves but for some reason they stopped 5 yards after the car and started laughing at something,then one of the lads(prob the leader) went back and tried to open the door of the car with no such look laughed and walked off!

now this is just 1 of many examples i could give of the sort of louts that we get around for the races that treat the streets of galway as a playground for themselves for the week:eek:

Granted this was 7:20 on a monday mornin but i don't see how this is any different to any weekend in our fair city. Drunken yobbishness is part of our culture for a long time. Why just two weeks ago my friend got arressted for doing something similar in Eyre square. It's nothing new. The races might attract more yobs but it happens every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

Surely with the races and huge number of people in Galway this week there would be a bigger Garda presence? Now im not to sure maybe there is but I haven't noticed it. Was down in Spanish arch yesterday and there was a group of about 10-12 lads drinking (not young lads either late 20's early 30's) and throwing empty bottles at birds and stuff. I thought myself it was a very bad image for tourists. The wonderful garda were patrolling went as far as about maybe 10foot from bus stop looked around then headed off again. I dont know, I thought it was bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

lot more of people about without galway accent. (dknow what i mean like??)
    we should be used to it in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

The same sh1t happens every weekend not just for the races.Drive around Galway in the wee hours any weekend and im sure you will have an eye opening experience.
    If it happened last week would you have said Louts around for Arts Festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The same nonsense does happen every weekend and its not always us "blowins" or "rednecks" that are responsible.
    There are a lot more people around for race week so the occurances of this type of behaviour does increase sadly.
    At the same time, as mentioned above, the amount of trouble is fairly low considering the amount of street drinking with so many people completely off their faces.
    The atmosphere is generally fairly good and I think it is only the small few that cause the agro.
    In fairness some amount of trouble has to be expected among gatherings of the size of this week.
    These events make Galway what it is and without them the town would suffer.
    The guards do get on top of the agro and I think there is a larger presence than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I'm just glad that it's nearly over... another 2 or 3 days at best. Most of the people have already fcuked off by this point! Thank god!

Everybody loves the Galway races... except Galway people (with brain cells)

Everybody loves the Galway races... except Galway people (with brain cells)

Strongly disagree with that one.The atmosphere around this week(as every other year) was brilliant its just all the boozing that gets old quick.For the amount of people on the streets there was feck all trouble.The talent around this week was unreal too.
    Mind you there are plenty of Fintos and Tarquins down from D4 but sher ya have to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

the garda don't seem to be able to do anything about the scourge of the boy \ girl racers either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Thank god it's over. Far too many drunken cretins, people in expensive cars breaking red lights and nearly running me over, and stumbling high-heeled women caked in makeup and those awful headdresses that look like a new age hippy chicken divebombed their hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

heard the biggest problem the gardaí had this week was with women taking their shoes off and slicing their feet open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Thank God it's over!

Maybe we'll be able to get a decent night's sleep again, with less drunken idiots shouting in the middle of the night ("I've got a kilo of cocaine in my pocket"...yeah, fantastic....), screaming women ("the b8stard, he went off with that cow, but I loooove him so much, why doesn't he like me...") or singing annoying songs ("Fields of Athenry" featured an awful lot)...

And mind you, I'm not even living anywhere near Shop street/Quay street!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Maybe the races and the arts festivals should be cancelled?
    Jaysus, they only seem to be a hindrance on the city.
    I am sure Galway could do without the influx of all those tourists spending their Euros. Surely Galway wouldnt turn into a ghost town in the Summer without them.

Its only for a couple of weeks-without them the knock on effect for Galway would be hugely negative-and not just during the Summer but for the rest of the year as well.
    Kippy

Seems all the faults and complaints here with Race Week is just the usual guff that happens every other weekend on a smaller scale but with more violence , strange that?.

Bring back the shaved heads,burberry caps,celtic jerseys and dutch gold.

I think the thing to do would be cancel Arts festival,Race Week,Oyster Festival,Paddys day,Air show,Good Weather,Pearse Stadium,Buckfast etc as its just too many people around,drinking ,acting the mick...........

padi89 wrote:
    I think the thing to do would be cancel Arts festival,Race Week,Oyster Festival,Paddys day,Air show,Good Weather,Pearse Stadium,Buckfast etc as its just too many people around,drinking ,acting the mick...........

Sarcasm never gets ya anywhere padi.... It's over for another year now, no more getting hassled for random shít, and no more people trying to steal my bike.

Ah well I had fun at some people's expense, girls falling over... guys vomiting, guys falling over... girls vomiting... etc etc etc

Sarcasm never gets ya anywhere padi.... It's over for another year now, no more getting hassled for random shít, and no more people trying to steal my bike.

Ah well I had fun at some people's expense, girls falling over... guys vomiting, guys falling over... girls vomiting... etc etc etc

Its nothing to do with Sarcasm at all.I just find it funny that the only complaints listed here regarding race week is the usual **** that happens everyother weekend of the year and weeknights during the student term.I lived off Eyre Square for a number of years and had to put up with drunkeness all year round its not just during festivals.Fighting,pissing,vomiting,drinking,damaging property,stealing all on my front doorstep of my apartment block throughout the year.The race crowd left after Thursday and it was all the bank holiday weekenders that were in from Fri on.
    Arts Festival week i got hassle from some random in Neachtains and the following night in Roisins,the last places i thought youd get trouble.However i dont blame the crowds around for Arts Festival for it,**** happens and its back to the madness this weekend.
    From what ive read most boards members here enjoy a good piss up.Now dont tell me everyone knows when they have had enough and go quiely home to their beds.

padi89 wrote:
    Its nothing to do with Sarcasm at all.I just find it funny that the only complaints listed here regarding race week is the usual **** that happens everyother weekend of the year and weeknights during the student term.I lived off Eyre Square for a number of years and had to put up with drunkeness all year round its not just during festivals.Fighting,pissing,vomiting,drinking,damaging property,stealing all on my front doorstep of my apartment block throughout the year.The race crowd left after Thursday and it was all the bank holiday weekenders that were in from Fri on.
    Arts Festival week i got hassle from some random in Neachtains and the following night in Roisins,the last places i thought youd get trouble.However i dont blame the crowds around for Arts Festival for it,**** happens and its back to the madness this weekend.
    From what ive read most boards members here enjoy a good piss up.Now dont tell me everyone knows when they have had enough and go quiely home to their beds.

You paint such a great picture of Galway, sounds like hell.

did anyone else hear the owner of the new eurospar was threatened with losing his license by a nearby pub owner who was none too pleased to be losing sales to offlicence? The pub was packed anyway, greedy tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

I was outside said pub on friday night in the middle of the road drinking bottles I had bought in the off licence, along with ten thousand others. The owner of said pub saw my spar bag and made a bee line for me shouting that he owned two metres outside the pub , which may be true but I was about five metres away. He attempted to pull my bag off me even though everyone had them. He was quickly told where he could go with himself and he was not so verbal when he realised that he was outnumbered and clearly in the wrong. Duckin a55hole

i spent a fantastic 2 weeks in Rome , the place was packed, lots of festivals and events, night time streets were full of happy people, i didn't see a single drunken brawl, not a single pavement pizza, not even heard anyone roaring their heads off.no one kicking parked cars at night. people can get a drink in a bar at 3 am. it's all about attitude and respect.

• Advertisement

muletide wrote:
    I was outside said pub on friday night in the middle of the road drinking bottles I had bought in the off licence, along with ten thousand others. The owner of said pub saw my spar bag and made a bee line for me shouting that he owned two metres outside the pub , which may be true but I was about five metres away. He attempted to pull my bag off me even though everyone had them. He was quickly told where he could go with himself and he was not so verbal when he realised that he was outnumbered and clearly in the wrong. Duckin a55hole
    that bar owner seems like a total wanker. haha, well done for putting some manners on him.:cool:

muletide wrote:

Presumably the same reason there was no dj on the street this year (iirc there was one for ladies day last year?). Greedy bastards, they probably make enough during race week to cover half their costs for the year.

was it all the pubs? I'd only heard of one pub complaining.

You paint such a great picture of Galway, sounds like hell.

Im not trying to paint a picture im just telling the truth.Was there not a thread here only recently by someone that had witnessed some guy getting beaten up in Eyre Square in the middle of the day?It happens in every town up and down the country and from what i have seen its the same in the UK.The problem is not the festival itself the problem is with alcohol and too much of it.
    Mind you the worst thing i saw all week was in the early hours of mon morn some guy decides to streak the lenght of shop street.

galwayrush wrote:
    i spent a fantastic 2 weeks in Rome , the place was packed, lots of festivals and events, night time streets were full of happy people, i didn't see a single drunken brawl, not a single pavement pizza, not even heard anyone roaring their heads off.no one kicking parked cars at night. people can get a drink in a bar at 3 am. it's all about attitude and respect.

Nice one sounds good.Its only when you go away and come back that you realise how much this whole country is revolved around binge drinking.Go out tonight,when your mate offers you a drink and you say a 7up will do you'll get a look as in WTF is wrong with you? ,dont get that reaction on the continent.

padi89 wrote:
    when your mate offers you a drink and you say a 7up will do you'll get a look as in WTF is wrong with you? ,dont get that reaction on the continent.

Amen!

I'm not much of the man for the alcohol, every now and then I go mental, but generally I remain sober (Boards Beers excluded!) So I've had quite a few nights in Galway.. hell even Ireland, when someone shouts "You wanna pint?" And you ask them for a water/7up/coke/whatever your beverage of choice is, and they look at you, like you've just slapped them and sodomised their mum. Even bar-people give ya funny looks when you order non-alcoholic drinks. You don't even get a second look for it in France, Italy or... sometimes.. England.

Advertisement