Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Java Certified Training

• 03-08-2006 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anybody done either the:
    Sun Certified Associate for the Java 2 Platform(SCJA) or the,
    Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform((SCJP).

I would like peoples opinion on them as Im thinking of doing them, were they worth doing in terms of what you learn and did they increase your wages etc....

just general things like that....anyway any thoughts would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I haven't done SCJA but after reading the spec on it (looks like new exam) it appears to be the easier of the two.

I have sat and passed SCJP1.4 . It isn't easy, or rather just knowing Java or having developed in java for a couple of years is not going to get you a pass in the exam. The reason for this is they ask you a lot of things which you aren't going to use day to day coding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

yeah the SCJA I would say is an easier exam than the SCJP exam.....

I havent programmed in Java for a long time, probably a year or two, and would like to get some certified recognition for it, and just thought the best way was with these two exams......

I know Horizon do a course that you can do to get you to suceed in these exams...
    http://www.hos.horizon.ie/training/catalogue/java/SL-275.shtml

so might do that and see.....

Did you get a wage increase in doing it, or if any, any other benefit you got out of doin the SCJP1.4?? lik did employees liked you having it?

thanks

wage increases depends on the company in question.

Most java based employees would like you to have the certification, but at the same time if you don't have the experience in the area to back it up its not going to account for much.

The link you gave is for a java course and has nothing to do with the exam. Your wasting your money if you are doing that course for the exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

It says in the "Who should attend?" section that it is useful for people who are preparing for a sun certified exam, was also looking at:
    http://dorset-college.ie/openframe.asp - Parttime course called "SUN Certified Programmer for Java 2 " also.....you do the test after the course.

yeah i know bout depending on the company but there seems there b not much on much training for a sun cert in Ireland, looking at it really its all down to learing urself and experience to help u pass these exams.....

smithslist wrote:
    Parttime course called "SUN Certified Programmer for Java 2 " also.....you do the test after the course.

Java2. They mean Java 1.2? That exam doesn't exist anymore. Its 1.4 + 1.5 at the moment. If you are going to sit one go for 1.5.

To get you started on your way check out http://jchq.net/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

SCJA is more for managers. If your a programmer, I'd say it's a waste of your time. Go straight for the SCJP. You'll learn a lot from studying for that one.

Advertisement