Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ànother stange quote insurance

Options
  • 03-08-2006 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

I am looking at changing car, getting rid of the small engine hatch back and getting something bigger and quicker.

29y/o full license, 4 yr NCB, no points.

I am with hibernian at the moment paying pittance really. I did an online quote for a new car (2.5L) and the quote came in at about €950 fully comp.

I called Hibernian to get their price over the phone and was quoted nearly €2300!!

I said to the girl that I got the new business quote online for just over €900 and she said that that couldn't be possible and that there was nothing she could do to reduce the cost from the €2300.

I told her that I would just cancel my policy and set up a new one online, to which she replied 'As long as you enter your details correctly and send back your current disk with a letter of cancellation that it should be alright'

How can this be possible? I have never 'bought' a policy online before, but surely there shouldn't be this discrepancy between the same insurer online and over the phone. Confused !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Proof that they use random number generators!;)

Did you give her the reference number that was generated for your online quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

With Quinn Direct there was a difference of 562euro between an online quote, and renewal quote sent in the post (Online was cheaper)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Honestly go with Quinn, get aquote online and buy it online! Engine size doesn't really matter that much any more, they look at the BHP and value of the car these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

bhp is an issue then .. it's 220bhp.

Quinn gave me a mad price online ... I must have clicked on Bowing 747 instead of Petrol/Diesel !!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

give FBD a ring. (think they are online now also www.fbd.ie )Try are very good for that age group (im in it) and they dont seem to vary with engine size. Once over 25 full licence they seem good, also take into account named experience. They give free windscreen/drive other car 3rd party/other full licence over 25 drive yours etc.. at no extra charge. Ring them and let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

whippet wrote:
    bhp is an issue then .. it's 220bhp.

Sounds quite good then at under €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Here's one

I just sold a Nissan 350z on which I was insured with Provident through the AA. I switched to a BMW 520d M-sport. So I went from a 3.5lt sports coupe to a 2 ltr saloon diesel. - Provident say they are reluctant to insure me as my new car is a sports model!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

TheBazman wrote:
    Here's one

I just sold a Nissan 350z on which I was insured with Provident through the AA. I switched to a BMW 520d M-sport. So I went from a 3.5lt sports coupe to a 2 ltr saloon diesel. - Provident say they are reluctant to insure me as my new car is a sports model!!
    that's a joke.....

220 is what's gonna get you the high quotes, mine is 190, I'm 25 and my insurance is about 1,100

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

steve06 wrote:
    that's a joke.....

220 is what's gonna get you the high quotes, mine is 190, I'm 25 and my insurance is about 1,100

My insurance on the 350z was 1400 fully comp, and I know I will get it around 800 on the BMW , but I just think it's a stupid comment from Provident

FBD's web site won't quote on anything over 2L. I called them (i used to have a policy with them) and they won't quote me on a 2.5L unless I have 5yrs NCB - Am I not entitled to a quote?

• Advertisement

Looks like I won't be getting that car anyway.

I went to process the online quote on hibernian's website and just at the end:

'It appears that the car you selected could be a Sports Card, GTi, V-Tech or other performance car, please call XXXXX '

It turns out the €2300 I was quoted on the phone was a top up on my policy for this year (which runs out next feb) .. bringing my annual premium to a handsome €3100.

The car is not a sports car, it is not an obvious target for thieves ... except those who calculate premiums. I just did an identical quote on www.directline.co.uk and got a price of stg£498 for the year (about €730)

This makes the irish market about 400% more expensive (based on this example)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Most websites are a "quickquote" facility based on standard models. Any GTI etc will generally ask you to refer to company. Competition has reduced car insurance big time for basic models but if you fancy summat a bit more sportier, your still getting ripped off :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

out of interest, whats the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

JohnCleary wrote:
    With Quinn Direct there was a difference of 562euro between an online quote, and renewal quote sent in the post (Online was cheaper)

My insurance is up this month, I'm with Quinn and they sent out the renewal quote (€1550)
    I went online(Quinn) for a quote and guess what.. Insurance was €1050!!

Rang Quinn and was told that they'd match the online quote :confused:
    I said "No Sh!t you will, send me out the new quote, Thanks!"
    I was told the reason for this was "We are trying to be more competitive.."
    :confused: What with themselves..?

It's unbelievable really,
    €4500+ first year insurance TPFT,
    €2600 2nd year TPFT,
    and now they tried to sting me with an extra €500 this year...

cargrouch wrote:
    Proof that they use random number generators!

Did you give her the reference number that was generated for your online quote?
    Agreed!

Advertisement