Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

Hanley wrote: »
    Sean Enwright ;)

???
    And you had the cheek to tear into AlanTByrne for not quoting in his post?
    That's rich.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

mixer101 wrote: »
    ???
    And you had the cheek to tear into AlanTByrne for not quoting in his post?
    That's rich.:(

Eh.... what?

mixer101 wrote: »

My post came directly after the post to which it related.

Kev said; "Sean something...", and I said the guys full name. There was no ambiguity as to what I was referring to.

However AlanTByrne's post about Crunch DL and TF Blanch (I think?) came after a post for Ballyfermot leisure centre. The 3 previous posts made no reference to the area ATB was taking about, so it's fair to assume he was trying to promote those gyms because he works out of them and wasn't actually trying to help the posters asking for gym reviews.

Self interest is a terrible thing, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

How much is Pinnacle membership? Any student discounts?

I hadn't seen this thread and wandered into the old place an hour or two ago and found it deserted.

• Advertisement

My post came directly after the post to which it related.

Kev said; "Sean something...", and I said the guys full name. There was no ambiguity as to what I was referring to.

However AlanTByrne's post about Crunch DL and TF Blanch (I think?) came after a post for Ballyfermot leisure centre. The 3 previous posts made no reference to the area ATB was taking about, so it's fair to assume he was trying to promote those gyms because he works out of them and wasn't actually trying to help the posters asking for gym reviews.

Self interest is a terrible thing, really.

OK, hands up.. :o .. I see what you're saying.
    Sorry, I jumped in without having a good sniff around first...mea culpa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Will there be brazilian jiu jitsu and boxing classes in the new gym?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bigsam

was a member of jackie skellies found them dreadful
    had to sign for 18 months not 12....when i sold my house had to pay extra 100 euros to use other js in clondalkin found trainers poor...ended up using other gym before my member ship was up.......dreadful gym complete muck..... in westpoint now much better

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Well I just went to Jackie Skelly in Ballsbridge to try and blag a free day (TCD gym still closed...grr...) and I'm never going back!

First off, they say on their website that you can get a free day pass but when I got there, the sales guy tried to make me pay €25 to use the gym and acted like he was doing me a favour. I refused and he brought it down to €15. Whooppee...

So we went for a walk around and sure enough, it's all cardio machines with a tiny free weights section. "Oh", I was told, "but that's for men. Well...sometimes women can go in there". :mad: Then he pointed at a small pyramid of dumbells (max 10kg) that was placed, like an afterthought beside a door into a separate room for classes. Apparently this was the sum-total of the women's weights section.

Me: "Huh. OK. Wait..where's the squat rack?"
    Him: "What's a squat rack?"
    Me "Are you kidding me?"
    Him: "No, I don't know what that is"
    Me: Explanation of difference between squat rack & smith machine
    Him: "Well, I've never had a complaint about the lack of squat rack"
    Me: "I find that hard to believe.." Actually on second thoughts, we are standing in a gym that is more appearance than substance

So we went back to the receptionist guy who apparently lifted weights, who proceeded to try and convince me that
    a) I don't need a squat rack
    b) I should just do a dumbell squat or leg press instead
    c) There's something wrong with me because I can squat 30kg but can't clean it (and am clearly too stupid to realise what a perfect solution this is)
    d) oh, and deadlifts are on the way out because people use bad form (why doesn't is surprise me that your clients have this problem given your blatant lack of knowledge about compound exercises..)

At this stage I just said "Forget it! Let me go home and do some push ups on my sitting room floor so I don't have to listen to any more bullcrap!"

Moral: Don't join Jackie Skelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hope you got your money back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Hope you got your money back.
    Nah, I didn't give them any money. It just goes to show how much effort some people put into their fitness business. The place is a total joke.

I mean a manager that doesn't know what a squat rack is? And now deadlifts are "on their way out"? WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

taconnol wrote: »
    I mean a manager that doesn't know what a squat rack is? And now deadlifts are "on their way out"? WTF?
    They are soooo 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

whats the verdict on total fitness - join and you can use all their gyms throughout irl and the uk?
    what are the dublin locations like, what sorta cash are we talkin for 12 months etc

conno16 wrote: »
    whats the verdict on total fitness - join and you can use all their gyms throughout irl and the uk?
    what are the dublin locations like, what sorta cash are we talkin for 12 months etc

Verdict - very very good gyms

You can use all of the ones in the UK and Irl.

Cost? Not too sure... 500-700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

cheers hanley, i've done ben dunne regime in blanch for a year or two but no longer live in the area. looking for an alternative in south dublin?
    would appreciate some recommendations but theres no way i'd cough out anything more than 500 for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just in case anyone is interested, a large majority of the personal trainers in westwood in clontarf were let go from the gym yesterday,personally ill probably leave the gym as 2 of the PTs are setting up their own gym in 2 weeks not too far from the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

Gintonious wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is interested, a large majority of the personal trainers in westwood in clontarf were let go from the gym yesterday,personally ill probably leave the gym as 2 of the PTs are setting up their own gym in 2 weeks not too far from the club.

Thats crazy. Just incase any of those PT'S are reading these posts. I know that my gym (Total Fitness Castleknock) where recruiting before the christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Thats crazy. Just incase any of those PT'S are reading these posts. I know that my gym (Total Fitness Castleknock) where recruiting before the christmas.

They weren't adding to the team, they were only replacing two members of staff that are leaving in the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

Malteaser! wrote: »
    They weren't adding to the team, they were only replacing two members of staff that are leaving in the coming weeks.

Ah I see, I taught that they were adding to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Well as far as i know, 2 of them will have a new gym up and running in 2 weeks,i go to one of them so he is keeping me updated,it will be somewhere in the clontarf area.

The 2 that I am on about were probably the 2 best down there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ciaranmul

Gintonious wrote: »
    Well as far as i know, 2 of them will have a new gym up and running in 2 weeks,i go to one of them so he is keeping me updated,it will be somewhere in the clontarf area.

The 2 that I am on about were probably the 2 best down there as well.

That gym will be opening up in the next 2 weeks, it's down beside Bay Restaurant on the Sea front in Clontarf, where the Dollymount House used to be. The two Trainers have quite a loyal client base and the gym will be used to train them.

If anyone wants contact details for David or James, just PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭telemachus

Anyone been to the gym near Milltown that's supposed to be opening soon? I'm down around the Clonskeagh/Goatstown area so it'd be the closest gym to me that I know of. I'm wondering what the free weights are like, or if it's all just machines/treadmills, I keep meaning to go down myself and take a look around!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

im planning on joining a gym soon but have a choice between crunch in westmanstown or sanovitae at the clarion lifey valley.anyone have an opinion on which is better or some helpful info.ive heard crunch gets really busy and you wait for machines.puts me off a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭rferguson

A Mate of mine is looking for info on this gym.

Whats this like now. epuipment wise and facilities wise.

any help would be great cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

conno16 wrote: »

Its 600-something for the year..if you have a student card its something like 330 for the year.They really cant be beaten on opening hours either,7am-9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

ciaranmul wrote: »
    That gym will be opening up in the next 2 weeks, it's down beside Bay Restaurant on the Sea front in Clontarf, where the Dollymount House used to be. The two Trainers have quite a loyal client base and the gym will be used to train them.

If anyone wants contact details for David or James, just PM me.

Anymore info on this gym? Do they have a website? I'm looking to join a gym in that general area. Thinking of joining one in Raheny but would like to find out a bit more about this one before I do!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Verdict - very very good gyms

You can use all of the ones in the UK and Irl.

Wow, this might have me sold! I'm in DCU gym til next September. Right now I really love it. The classes are regular and interesting. Just got a new instructor who is so enthusiastic and encouraging. People go and shake her hand afterwards and say thanks! Haven't seen that happen too often!
    Definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jazzy_jeff

Has anyone been in Raw on South Richmond Street? whats it like? Looking to go in and join next week, complete beginner when it comes to weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ciaranmul

joey54 wrote: »
    Anymore info on this gym? Do they have a website? I'm looking to join a gym in that general area. Thinking of joining one in Raheny but would like to find out a bit more about this one before I do!

www.theedgeclontarf.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

jazzy_jeff wrote: »
    Has anyone been in Raw on South Richmond Street? whats it like? Looking to go in and join next week, complete beginner when it comes to weights.

Only Hercules can compare for weights, similar crowd to Pinnacle with sport specific trainers, think Denis Hickey (Ex Rugby International) trains down there.

Advertisement