Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Pricy!
    460 for 6 months or 77 per month direct debit on a 12 month contract.
    lol, at anyone who pays joining fee, you can easily haggle your way out it.

Facilities
    Guesstimate at 15 treadmills, 5 bikes, 5 eliptical and 8 of those crosstrainers.
    3 benches, a full range of weight machines, dumbells up to 40kg afaik.
    One squat rack

18 mere swimming pool. Sauna, Steamroom, jacuzzi

I realy like the staff, incredibly friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Tbh, I work in the area so only use it at lunch but the classes, mainly spin classes are great.
    It's never packed, maybe busy between 1-2 but you won't be waiting for any machine.
    If you go at 12 or at 3, the place is dead, I've had the gym to myself at 12pm once.

Worth checking out imo. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 RuggerIrish

Anyone thinking of joining this place beware. It's rapidly turning into another Westpoint. I regularly go between 7-8 mon-fri and can get very hectic.

Grand if your only going to do cardio as they've got too much of it (on the upper/weight floor too) but the section for weights/machines is rapidly saturating. Just hoping they dont do the same offer next year as good old regulars are dropping like flies :mad:

I'm bearing it out atm cos I can't go anywhere else, but I'm prob gonna go elsewhere when its up in June (shame really as its decorating nicely)

Anyone know what hercules is like? Any more info on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok, I'm just there a week after twelve years in TotalFitness.

Pro's - Very cheap membership & lots of cardio equipment, plus good parking. Men's changing facilities are good and very clean.

Con's - Way over crowded, but most gym's suffer this in January and Febuary so we'll see how it pans out over the next few months.

At times its almost impossible to get near anything but a treadmill or rowing machine.

Its very dull, dark & cold and lacks the atmospher of a hardcore gym (yes at times TF was hardcore!).

Its only real saving grace (for me) is its cheap membership.

When TF drops its membership prices I'll burn a trail out of Northwood.

Mairt wrote: »
    Ok, I'm just there a week after twelve years in TotalFitness.

Pro's - Very cheap membership & lots of cardio equipment, plus good parking. Men's changing facilities are good and very clean.

Con's - Way over crowded, but most gym's suffer this in January and Febuary so we'll see how it pans out over the next few months.

At times its almost impossible to get near anything but a treadmill or rowing machine.

Its very dull, dark & cold and lacks the atmospher of a hardcore gym (yes at times TF was hardcore!).

Its only real saving grace (for me) is its cheap membership.

Happy trail man! I was in TF before too (hated their water taps, dont think they filter it).

Unfortunately I dont think the numbers are going to weigh down much. It took till august last year for any significant drop and even then I'm sure was just the weather.

They still havent taken care of that 'special' smell in the showers (been told theres a crack in one of the sewer pipes which the showers drain off to).

Its just a shame really, the place is really nice and they'd hold onto people if they bothered to put a cap on it.

I'm considering other options right now, the Ballymun one is only 299 so thats only 20 quid more than i paid for renewal, aside from that there's also morton stadium but they have really odd opening hours

oh BTW, i know its not much but TF sent me a text last week saying they'd take 50 euro off if i came back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Cork_Rebel

Westwood Clontarf

They seem to have cut back a lot on their classes... eg Friday evening used to be good now not much going on class wise.

No sign of them cutting back their fees!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Anyone thinking of joining this place beware. It's rapidly turning into another Westpoint. I regularly go between 7-8 mon-fri and can get very hectic.

Grand if your only going to do cardio as they've got too much of it (on the upper/weight floor too) but the section for weights/machines is rapidly saturating. Just hoping they dont do the same offer next year as good old regulars are dropping like flies :mad:

I'm bearing it out atm cos I can't go anywhere else, but I'm prob gonna go elsewhere when its up in June (shame really as its decorating nicely)

Anyone know what hercules is like? Any more info on it?

Hercules is great, its being done up at the moment with minimal interuption to training, loads of free-weights, machines and cardio equipment, wrestling tues and thurs also.

joining fee: 30euro
    quarterly fees: 85euro

www.herculesclub.ie

dave80 wrote: »
    Hercules is great, its being done up at the moment with minimal interuption to training, loads of free-weights, machines and cardio equipment, wrestling tues and thurs also.

joining fee: 30euro
    quarterly fees: 85euro

www.herculesclub.ie
    nice one man, you in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Where is Hercules located guys? Looked on their website but could not see any map or directions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

Just off north king street.

What direction are ya coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Coming from Parkgate street....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭livindadream

WestWood , Sandymount. any reveiws???!?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maggiemae

Fees 520
    Pros
    Clean, comfy, plenty of cardio machines nearly always a free one:) Different wieght machines and free weights.Nice sauna and steam room. A good selection of classes. Good pool. Friendly staff.

Cons
    Non members have access to the pool for a fee. Parking near the building in the evenings can be tricky at times but it is only a short walk to the overflow park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

nice one man, you in there?

ye been there on and off for the last 10 years or so, its a great place to train, everybody gets to know each other not like some other gyms where nobody knows anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 beta_mutt

Is the Fitness Dock any good? I have heard that it gets very busy at peak times

conno16 wrote: »
    whats the verdict on total fitness - join and you can use all their gyms throughout irl and the uk?
    what are the dublin locations like, what sorta cash are we talkin for 12 months etc

Very good gyms, but atm pricy!.

I trained in TF Malahide Rd & Blanch for twelve years but on renewal this year I decided they've priced themselves out of the market for me.

They wanted €598 for one year, or pay in two installments for €725 :eek:

I joined Northwood for €290- instead.

TF nice and airy, plenty of weights for most people and very good machines. Their Hammer Strenght machines being particularly good.

Northwood, dull and uninspiring. In fact, I don't look forward to going at all, and its only been two weeks. But until TF gets it act together and becomes competitive with their membership pricing I'll be sticking with Northwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

I don't get why people join gyms, you could buy most (or all) of the equipment you need for the price of 1 years membership to a gym. Plus you'll save all the time and hassle of getting to and from the gym, and you don't need to wait around while someone finishes with the machine/weights that you want to use. Nor do you have to put up with using equipment covered in other peoples stinking sweat. Nor do you have to fork out for parking.

I don't get why people join gyms, you could buy most (or all) of the equipment you need for the price of 1 years membership to a gym. Plus you'll save all the time and hassle of getting to and from the gym, and you don't need to wait around while someone finishes with the machine/weights that you want to use. Nor do you have to put up with using equipment covered in other peoples stinking sweat. Nor do you have to fork out for parking.

having space for the equipment is a major factor why people dont train at home, even if i had the space id still train in a gym though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

There's also the fact that when you are in a gym, there's nothing to do but train. At home, you suddenly remember that phone call you must make, you notice the awful state of the carpet and feel you need to clean it before you can do press-ups (not putting my face near that mess....) Hell, on leg day, I get this sudden urge to sort socks rather than do another set of squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 manhattan

TF nice and airy, plenty of weights for most people and very good machines. Their Hammer Strenght machines being particularly good.

Northwood, dull and uninspiring. In fact, I don't look forward to going at all, and its only been two weeks. But until TF gets it act together and becomes competitive with their membership pricing I'll be sticking with Northwood.

In what way is Northwood Dull and uninspiring?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

when does this typically happen or are ya just expecting a reduction across all gyms due to the general state of the economy etc?

when does this typically happen or are ya just expecting a reduction across all gyms due to the general state of the economy etc?

Well TF is a British owned chain of gym's so you wouldn't know how they'll pitch themselves at the Irish market in future.

At present I just can not justify spending the kind of money they're asking for.

Its a pity, because it really is/was a good gym and has served me well over the last twelve years.

got quoted 580 there yesterday but i told them to stick it
    so they suggested i call in to discuss options which i think i'll do later this week
    called me back twice - the screw is turning Mairt!

got quoted 580 there yesterday but i told them to stick it
    so they suggested i call in to discuss options which i think i'll do later this week
    called me back twice - the screw is turning Mairt!

Yea, your options are to pay off in two installments. It'll cost you €725 then.

But keep me up to date.

surely not?
    the auld bag on the phone was hinting at different rates that might be available depending on use etc
    i'll call in later this week and post back anyways
    she better have someting better to offer than simply breaking up the fee into two installments

surely not?
    the auld bag on the phone was hinting at different rates that might be available depending on use etc
    i'll call in later this week and post back anyways
    she better have someting better to offer than simply breaking up the fee into two installments

Oh, she's talking about 'restricted' membership where your restricted to using the facilities during certain (off peak) hours.

It might be worth your while to look at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

mp1972 wrote: »
    Ballyfermot Leisure Centre

Paid a visit in here today, it FINALLY opened about 3 weeks ago. Gym area is VERY small. Plenty of cardio equipment, of course :rolleyes:

€7.00 for adult gym, €6.00 for adult pool single visit
    €120 for 3 months adult gym and pool
    €240 for 6 months adult gym and pool
    €360 for 6 months adult gym and pool

Verdict: Was alright, there was only a few there so I could access what I wanted, will be going a few evenings on single visits to see how busy it is before I decide whether to hand over a years fees.

hi

has anyone else been here? also if i wanted to use the gym and the pool/sauna area would i have to pay 7 for the gym and then 6 for the pool/sauna?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭gags89

the tvs and them remotes you use to change channel hardly work and you have to really press down hard on the buttons

the headphone jacks dont give clear sound in about 80% of the cardio machines on the mens side anyways and often only one earphone would work.

the free weights are becoming worn and are loose and even some have parts of the rubber weight chipped off.

the gear bag you get is useless and extremely low quality, with two weeks the long strap had snapped off and the bag has began to 'flake' black bits

the staff ok maybe not all of them but the ones iv encountered...firstly always look pissed off when you come in to scan your card....if you dont want to do it move the scanner to on top of the counter and make us do it ourselves and as long as you hear that beep its okay!

the fitness instructors just dont listen to you when you ask to be put on a program its either too easy or uses just the most common and easiest exercises...lack of variation in the exercises show their lack of knowledge.I said im fairly fit to one of them, play football and they put me on a 10minute run on 8kms?Push people for gods sake!

those speed ramps are far too high and really damage the car, lower them!

if i want to drive a van to the gym the height barrier has to be removed...whats the point in this??Are tradesmen just not welcome at carlisle?

the ridiculous overpricing of the supplements(in general in Ireland though)
    people...get them off the web!

why dont they sell sambos anymore in the lounge area?just finished a work out..last thing i want is a packet of crisps or a chocolate bar! Open a smoothie bar you'l be real busy and are promoting healthy options!

and what was with the honesty system a couple of years back?with amount of young people who would never pay €4 euro for a sambo did they actually think they would work out even at the end of the day?

maybe dust off the weight machines once in a while?

and for fooooks sake the next time i hear ben dunnes voice in that ad il cry...youve already convinced us to join hence why we're in the gym, that ad doesnt go out over dublin as much as its played in carlisle

20euro for the day pass is a disgrace..had relatives over from states they actually thought it was a joke to go in for a day at that cost.

I was going to give out about it being so full but thats not something they can control and its only fuller at peak times so thats okay but maybe since the gym is so busy expand and bit and what in the world is an art gallery doing across the road?Could of used that as the studio classes building and open upstairs to more exercise machines..?

none of this is money related its just pure laziness and lack or foresight so the prices can stay the same (which i will agree are the cheapest ive found and i really like the group deals this is a very good idea)

...right im off to the gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

<400 Euro for 12 months.

I honestly don't know how they make money on it. Could be a helluva lot worse for that price. I certainly wouldn't complain about the bag they give me

The TV's are sh!t, but TBH, I have a TV at home, I don't go to the gym to watch it. My ipod does me.
    I don't find that much wrong with the weights either TBH, they replaced them all within the last few years, they dumb-bells could use some updating, and go heavier though.

I don't ask the fitness instructors anything TBH, looking at some of the workouts beginners have been given on here, many are clueless ... IMO

They do sell sambo's - in the new shop area.

And the ramps are a killer - agree with you there.

20 Euro for a day pass is reasonable if you look at the cost of a years membership. It's not a charity.

I don't have a problem with Carlile whatsoever (although I rarely go at peak times, when it can be WAY too overcrowded).

Edit: Also they're in the process changing they height barrier AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Thinking of joining The Countess Markievicz gym, though I'll probably go in and try it for a once off fee before deciding for sure.

It seems like pretty good value at €360 and it has a gym but very few people here seem to be members and I'm wondering why that is?

Is it missing facilities or excessively busy or just not conveniently located for a lot of people?

Advertisement