Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ali07

Does anybody know about the gym in the Maldron Hotel near Grand Canal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Jon wrote: »
    Finglas Leisure Centre:
    What an anti climax on the back of the Power House report!!

I trained here a few times when I was stuck for time and also a friend of mine is a duty manager so i get in for free.. would I pay? Nah not for what they offer.

The gym is basic, very basic. Small and when half busy is a right pain in the hole. Only recently they have gotten in new dumbells which go up to 40kg's - not bad.
    Good points:
    A good few cardio machines - when working.

Bad points:
    Not enough weights, not enough machines.
    You have to persevere through the groupies that hog certain machines, all the lads having a go while they shoot the breeze with each other. No one seems to know what 'working in with you' means - you get this look from them as if to say 'your not getting my space!'. In between dumbell sets its common for guys to walk over and pick up your weights and walk off with them, especially during busy hours. A swift pull by the hair usually gets them back fairly promt. This is not down to rudness or arrogance on their part, its just its a gym where a lot of newbies start out and aren't aware of gym etiquette. I was one myself! :o
    The gym has a barbell, and..no bench for it. I tried using it one day for deadlifting to be told that you weren't allowed put weight on it :confused:
    When I asked what was it for then, I got a silly answer.
    The benches are hard to adjust as the handles on all of them are busted. The machines take weeks to be repaired.

Showers:
    Steer clear of the mens showers. They go from boiling hot to stone cold in a split second. Several older folk have complained about this, but they're still the same, it takes weeks and weeks for things to be fixed in this place.

Some of the staff are sound, they're relatively young. There are one or 2 morons though. Especially one guy who likes to be loud and brash, I think the call it attention seeking. Its not very professionally run.

But for €5.80, what can one expect!
    Its great for the senior citizens who seem to making the most of this place. There is a good bunch of them there, and they actually put a bit of life in the place.

In conclusion;
    If your a newbie to the gym, this place can be an option. If you're interested in training properly. Go some where else..anywhere else.

As an update to this:

I've been going to this gym on and off for the past few years, always only paying the €5.80 per use.

Last year I joined the NAC in Blanchardstown for 3 months to make use of the early opening times (6am). My schedule changed and evenings worked out better for me.

I let the NAC membership expire and then joined the Finglas Leisure Centre for 15 months @ €299. I haven't come across value like that for a while now tbh. I reckon they are trying to push everyone towards membership as the single use fee has gone up to €7.

I go in usually at 8pm - 8.30pm and stay till closing, and I don't find it overcrowded at all. Now, on occasion I've gone in at 7 and you'd be hardpressed to find anything free - again, I'd suggest that is due to a combo of the lack of alternate services in the area and the actual size of the building.

I find the 4 loose benches adequate, along with the selection of free weights and bars. The machines available seem to be on par with most gyms I've been in although a set of dip bars wouldn't go astray.

As regards maintenance of machines, I'd say one treadmill/bike along with one other machine would normally be down for 3-4 days. Again, nothing I haven't witnessed in other gyms.

I find the staff good, not great. They're helpfull where they can be, a few of them are very knowledgeable, while a few of them are just kids who are there to make up numbers.

Pool and showering facilities are clean enough IMO. All the tiling could be replaced, but thats just an observation.

The only thing that annoys me is when they let in groups of kids, and don't monitor their behaviour. I've complained several times about little scummers attempting to break various machines and throwing mats around etc and it is dealt with, but the same feckers will be let in again another day.

Overall I think its decent, for the money and location its good. In companring the facilities to the NAC gym, I'd hazard a guess in saying that they are not far off each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Hi all,

I'm looking to join a gym near where I work ( John Rogerson's quay/ windmill lane ) and while theres a few to choose from I was wondering what peoples take would be on the best one to join in that area. Bear in mind that I would be primarily using the gym in my lunch hour so really it would have to be around max 5 minutes walk from the Windmill lane area. Thanks..

ab

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

ballymun bodyworks isnt bad although im a noob at gym but 3€ in isnt bad and its not actually a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

WestPark - Tallaght

Just wanted to add my own review of west park. Overall I have to say its a top gym. Staff are sound and some of them really know their stuff. I go up there during the day mostly so Ive gotten to know a lot of the regulars and theres a very nice and freindly vibe in the place. Ive only been up in the evening a few times and each time its been packed, but I suppose what gym isnt packed in the evenings......Only downside about training in the morning is that the view aint so good: Not a lot of hot girls to look at:(. But I suppose Your there to train not to look at pretty girls.

Plenty of cardio equipment and theres a decent selection of free weights aswell. Personally I think theres too many machine weights and they could do with getting rid of a lot of them and bulking up on more free weights. I mean free weights are the meat and potatoes of any training regime. The machine weights are for middle aged women. Theres a ladies gym already so the machine weights in that section should suffice.
    The pool is decent enough although theres a lot of swimming lessons that take place which can be annoying because as a result you have to squeeze 3 in a lane which if youre trying to knock out some quality training, isnt great at all.

So id say overall Id give westpark: 8/10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hils1

Hi can anybody tell me of a good not to expensive gym near to Rathcoole, Co. Dublin. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

Hi could anyone tell me a bit about the mardyke in cork? Hoping to go to ucc next sept and this is one of the main attractions! Do many students and average sized people (meanin not with a six pack r anything near it!) go there? And are there separate showers or just open plan kinda showers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

Hey, i was wondering if anyone could give me any feedback or information about the Markievitcz leisure center? Two of my friends go there and speak well of it but its hard to find much info about it online except it dosn't have dumbells or something...as am a 5'3 girl this dosn't bother me too much but maybe it should...either way any feedback from anyone whose been there would be great!

Also the fitness dock, can anyone fill me in on the prices, do you have to pay yearly or is a monthly buzz? For an essentiall beginner is it a good choice? Iv looked at the website and liked what i saw but i just wanted to see what other people thought.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mack32

the mardyke is a great gym, it has pretty much everything; gym, pool, sauna, steam room, cafe, running track, astro turf, squash court, basketball courts.

the gym is really good, a load of machines, a separate free weights section with two racks and dumbells up to 50kg, about a gizillion treadmills and bikes. Theres also a separate 'elite' section, and a separate women's gyn (not too sure whats in there though:))

you see all shapes and sizes in there, yesterday a guy was benching about 180kg and the next guy to use the bench was struggling with just the bar. It gets busy enough between 6.30 and 8.00 but not unbearable.

The staff are pretty good by and large, its always spotless, parking gets seriously busy at peak times,

all in all a fantastic place to train

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

anyone have a recent review about the one escape gym in smithfield? thinking of joining but how busy it is? equipment? membership fees?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've been going here for a couple of months so I thought I'd just put down a few things about it:

Cardio area overall is very spacious, and is exceptionally clean. There are a lot of treadmills, plus plenty of upright and reclined cycles. At least eight rowing machines as well, three steppers, 10 cross trainers and three 'glider' trainers. Flat screens up the front with audio jacks on the machines, overhead music is OK too. As far as I can see the cardio equipment seems to be well maintained. I've never had to wait for a machine and usually it's pretty sparse. There is only water fountain, other than that it's bottled water for 2 euro. Best to stop by the ALDI downstairs first. The other thing is that some parents insist on bringing children upstairs - which can be very annoying but it seems to have calmed down an awful lot recently.

Weights area Unfortunately, I'm not started on weights yet so can't comment on that part of it. The equipment does look well maintained and clean, but you'd have to check that out for yourself.

Changing rooms are alright, and seem to be kept clean. Showers all seem to work, and temperature is stable enough. There's a sauna and a token-operated stand-up sun bed in the changing room. Could do with a few more bins.

Pool is OK, there are too many children using it though and there are a lot of classes. It's quite hard to get any quiet time in the pool.

Hot tub and steam room are beside the pool. Water quality and temperature varies a bit in the tub, can be a bit hit and miss.

Parking in surface or free underground car park. Lift takes you straight to the gym reception.

Staff almost all of the staff I've dealt with since joining have been very professional.

Ali07 wrote: »
    Does anybody know about the gym in the Maldron Hotel near Grand Canal ?

I was in that Gym for about 8 months or so.

It is a big gym with good equipment, it also has a pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. The room where the classes are done is quite small.

I paid a €150 joining fee, then €50 a month from then on(that was a student price, otherwise it'd be €66 a month)

Anything else you want to know just ask:)

EDIT: Here's some info

Facilities
    • 22 metre heated swimming pool
    • Children’s pool, sauna, jacuzzi & steam room
    • Therapy & treatment suites
    • Fully equipped gymnasium offering over 60 pieces of cardio equipment
    • Group fitness studio with complimentary classes available to hotel guests such as spinning, cardio kickboxing, fitball, etc.
    • Equipment with TV entertainment
    • Male & female locker rooms with power showers & hairdryers
    • Free weights area

Link: http://www.maldronhotels.com/hotel-cardiff-lane/leisure.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 westwoodgym

Yeah, I've heared the Blench one is the cheapest around with great facilities.

But im in Westwood, and they are not too bad...well I think they are a bit overpriced with 70e each month subscription, but all facilities are there pretty much free to use....well and it's on my way from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

veryrandom wrote: »
    Hey, i was wondering if anyone could give me any feedback or information about the Markievitcz leisure center? Two of my friends go there and speak well of it but its hard to find much info about it online except it dosn't have dumbells or something...as am a 5'3 girl this dosn't bother me too much but maybe it should...either way any feedback from anyone whose been there would be great!

Also the fitness dock, can anyone fill me in on the prices, do you have to pay yearly or is a monthly buzz? For an essentiall beginner is it a good choice? Iv looked at the website and liked what i saw but i just wanted to see what other people thought.

Thanks!
    Why dont you pay to visit the marckievitz, it's only 7 euro and even Fitness Dock will give you a free tour and workout. Markievitz would be a fair bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

I was told by two different young ladies in Jackie Skelly recently that the contract my wife signed in November 2007 was perfectly fair and legal because it had been written by the National Consumer Agency.

Not so. In fact this was a gross misrepresentation.

When I checked with the NCA I discovered that they had intervened with JS, and other gyms, following hundreds of complaints alleging their contracts were actually unfair and misleading.

The NCA in October 2008 (a year after my wife signed what she considers an unfair contract) announced that JS had revised their terms because the earlier terms (the ones my signed) were unfair for the following reasons.
    1. Exclusion of liability for death or injury to customers
    2. Ambiguity in respect of cancellation of contract
    3. Ambiguity relating to the length of short-term contracts
    4. Lack of clarity in relation to length of the contract - rollover aspects not made clear
    5. Practices connected with debt collection
    Six months after my wife thought her 12 month contract was ended she got a demand from JS for more than €600 because, despite her contract being flagged on the document as a 12 month contract, the fact that she didn't get a form from JS two months before the 12 months ended, and apply to have her membership cancelled, as far as they were concerned the membership continued and she owed them!

The NCA is trenchant on this point and is of the opinion it was in breach of the European Communities (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts) Regulations, 1995 and 2000 (see http://www.nca.ie/eng/Media_Zone/Press Releases/New_guidelines_for_gym_contracts.html)

According to their examination of the JS contract (which my wife had signed)

"A number of contracts reviewed by the NCA contained clauses that were unclear about cancelling contracts that had minimum membership periods linked to automatic extensions.
    A contract will not be declared unfair by reference to the length of its minimum contract period, i.e. a 12-month contract will not be unfair simply because it is of that duration.
    However, the conditions relating to notice periods/rolling membership often give rise to potential unfairness. The following example (actually from the JS contract my wife signed) is an illustration:

"The membership term is for an initial minimum membership period of 12 months. Following the initial minimum membership period, membership shall automatically continue on a monthly basis. Should a member wish to terminate their contract after the initial minimum membership period they must fill in a cancellation request form and a minimum of 60 days notice and 2 monthly direct debit payments are required."

Why does the NCA consider this term unfair?
    The NCA is of the view that this term is in contravention of Regulation 5, because, as drafted, it may not be clear to the consumer at what point s/he may cancel the contract.

The NCA interprets the term as meaning that the 2 months notice required to terminate the 12 month contract could be given during the currency of the contract, i.e. at 10 months. However, as drafted, this could be unclear to consumers."

Elsewhere the NCA comments on this type of clause:

"A term in a fixed period contract is likely to be considered unfair if it has the effect of extending the contract in the absence of an unreasonably early cancellation notification or notice period to be performed by the member.
    If members are required to make a cancellation decision too far in advance, they are liable either to forget to do so at the required time, or not be in a position to make an informed judgement on their future needs."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Shaws

Hey Has anyone ever used Sportsco? Is it any good? I read all 38 pages on this thread, and no one has mentioned Sports Co, apologies if I've gotten it wrong!

I called into them and they said it's 629 for membership and full use, or you could pay the 229 for membership and 60 every month.
    Do you think this is any good, is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for all your help:D

Shaws wrote: »
    Hey Has anyone ever used Sportsco? Is it any good? I read all 38 pages on this thread, and no one has mentioned Sports Co, apologies if I've gotten it wrong!

I called into them and they said it's 629 for membership and full use, or you could pay the 229 for membership and 60 every month.

I heard you have to pay full membership, and still pay everytime you visit also.. Anyone know if there's truth to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 newguy1972

the kinsley hotel gym, it looks good. Joining tomorrow! What does everybody think?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

I've just been down to a Personal training gym called Be-Fit in dean's grange, got a flyer in the door offering a free consultation which i finally got round to this mornin, must say i was very impressed with both the facilities and the personal trainers working there! I've a month to go on my Crunch Fitness membership and I'll be signing up with these lads for sure! Only thing is I'll have to go elsewhere for a swim as they've no pool, but everything else is brand spankin new and their attitude towards fitness is fantastic, dar liom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mark6

Some of your questions are answered here www.sportsco.ie but they offer a range of packages.
    General membership is €230 and you can then pay as you go for whatever you use.
    You can pay a years gym membership for approx. €250.( +€230 general membership)
    Other packages are priced differently ie: gym+swim, gym+swim+leisure suite, gym+leisure suite, gym+spinning classes etc etc etc

It is new and well maintained and the staff are good.

As far as the gym goes you would need to drop in and look it over to see if it meets your needs.
    Mostly machines - not a lot of free weights.

Can be busy from 5.30 to 7.30 like most other gyms.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Shaws

Mark6 wrote: »
    Some of your questions are answered here www.sportsco.ie but they offer a range of packages.
    General membership is €230 and you can then pay as you go for whatever you use.
    You can pay a years gym membership for approx. €250.( +€230 general membership)
    Other packages are priced differently ie: gym+swim, gym+swim+leisure suite, gym+leisure suite, gym+spinning classes etc etc etc

It is new and well maintained and the staff are good.

As far as the gym goes you would need to drop in and look it over to see if it meets your needs.
    Mostly machines - not a lot of free weights.

Can be busy from 5.30 to 7.30 like most other gyms.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Mark6! I went to the piliates there before and it was such a rip off, there was about 30 people there and it was in a big freezing hall and it was expensive - i can't remember the exact price. But I only went once, so I don't want to make the same mistake? Do you go there? Do you think it's good value?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Joe C

veryrandom wrote: »

Thanks!

Don't know about Markievitcz, but I've been a member of the Fitness Dock for over two years now. The gym is reasonably small but well equipped and the staff are excellent and very friendly. It does get pretty busy in the evenings though.

You can pay yearly or by the month, whichever suits. They do a special on direct debit memberships - of you sign up and lose 1 stone in the first six months you get your second six months free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mark6

Thanks Mark6! I went to the piliates there before and it was such a rip off, there was about 30 people there and it was in a big freezing hall and it was expensive - i can't remember the exact price. But I only went once, so I don't want to make the same mistake? Do you go there? Do you think it's good value?

Thanks!

Shaws, yes I go there and have been a member there for years when the gym was just one small room. They have practically rebuilt the whole place over the last two years. There is a new separate room for Pilates, Yoga etc and another room for spinning classes. I don't think they use the big hall for Pilates now - it's a multi sport hall for Basketball, table tennis, Badminton, indoor soccer. Roller Hockey!!!!etc....

I live locally so it suits me. The "all in" package is probably the same as most other gyms. I don't know how much the classes (Pilates etc. ) cost per class as I don't do them - I just use the gym at the moment.

The staff will happily show you around without pressure to join so you should drop in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gymhim

Guys and Girls!

Anyone a member in Liffey Valley Fitness or been in it?

Called them earlier and they have a deal on that they will match any other gym price, it is any good??

Help, i'm getting fatter by lack of working out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Any current members out there who can give me an idea of fees for this club? Currently with Westwood in Leopardstown but with tag/football I don't get to use it so much and feel that €75 is way too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Any current members out there who can give me an idea of fees for this club? Currently with Westwood in Leopardstown but with tag/football I don't get to use it so much and feel that €75 is way too much

625 euro/yr straight up, or around 802 through monthly installments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Eimear_K

Has anyone used the spa in Total Fitness Sandyford for back massages? If so, would you recommend it? Lots of spas aren't so good with back massage because they might not have properly trained staff.

RentDayBlues - the monthly installments for Total Fitness are great as you can stop at a months notice. Also, you can do monthly installments for 6 months then take a break for a few months and then go back for 6 months. Its very handy if you play a lot of summer sports and need the gym more in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Cork_Rebel

Yeah, I've heared the Blench one is the cheapest around with great facilities.

But im in Westwood, and they are not too bad...well I think they are a bit overpriced with 70e each month subscription, but all facilities are there pretty much free to use....well and it's on my way from work.

Just cancelled my membership this evening in WESTWOOD, Clontarf. God they love you when you're joining but there ain't no love when you're leaving.

Ignorant and Arrogant would describe. Was told to just sign the leave forms at the bottom. I asked about filling in the details under "reason for leaving" and he started laughing and was just plain ignorant about the entire thing. Got told it was 495 euro to rejoin!! No recession around here.!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

First session in Liffey Valley Fitness today.

First impression, not bad, not great.

Changing rooms (mens) need a major overhaul. But overall a good gym, not too packed and good space. A very nice pool thats not crowded at all. Doesn't seem to be usual bunch of meat head posers I've seen in other gyms.
    One chap (who was absolutely massive) actually stopped to help me correct my chest press technique...which i've never seen, or even heard of anyone doing in a gym.
    Has the usual pumping dance/chart music ****e that is in every gym, which absolutely does my head in so an Ipod is a must of you cant stand that stuff.
    Staff are very nice, particularly at front desk. Haven't tried out the classes yet, hoping to do the spin class twice a week, but there is a shed load of courses you can do, all free to members.
    Session with an instructor on Friday evening, will post up how that goes.

Overall on first impressions I'd recommend this gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Overall on first impressions I'd recommend this gym.

Hang around until 9:30pm and see how they are dying to push you out the door. Supposed to be open until 10pm but they turn off the TV's in front of you then and drop lots of hints. I once tried to explain that I'd go close to 10 and shower at home but they wouldn't listen - I didn't renew.

Advertisement