Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Rejoined Liffey Valley just under a month ago. Having tried Sheldon Park and Ballyfermot Leisure Centre it is far, far superior to both of them. Last night was actually the busiest I've seen it since I rejoined...that was on the cardio floor though, it was jammers, weights floor still wasn't that busy.

Big tut tut to all the men who lift in the ladies only weights area though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hils1

Was going to join the gym but they are so expensive, I also have seen new clubs like bootcamp and fit squad but you have to pay for these also.

I'm wondering if a few people wanted to meet up do some training and push each other to get fitness levels up and tone up at the same time? It wouldn't cost anything because we'd be doing it ourselves in a local park etc

So anybody want to get fit and pay nothing? Anybody interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hugoboss123

Atlas gym in Clondalkin is the best in Dublin for bodybuilding
    They got all the free weights and machines you need to beef up and pack on slabs of muscle.
    I am training there since it opened nearly 10 years ago and now compete at senior level in Irish bodybuilding shows
    Diet started this week for NABBA Mr Ireland and 12 weeks of Chicken and Tuna to go noooooooooooo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

just having a quick scooby at this thread, part of my big preparation for moving back to ireland..

i'm living in germany and I pay (wait for it...) 16.90 per month for my gym. It's basic, just weights and machines, they charge for the showers and for water, but it does the job. Even the more expensive places are about 40-ish a month. The big downside in Germany is that they make is almost impossible to leave - unless you do it in writing, on the first tuesday of the month, with a full mon rising in Capricorn, or something.

Anyway. The prices in this thread are a bit scary, I might stick to running and doing a few bits with free weights at home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you have the discipline to workout at home you could probably set yourself up for about 200 quid. When I left my last gym a year ago I got a set of york weights up to 70 kg with dumbbells and a barbell for less than two months gym membership. I ended up rarely using them but that could have had more to do with me training for my ultra than being too lazy to use them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

Your 'ultra'?

Excuse the ignorance, but what's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

SourKraut wrote: »
    just having a quick scooby at this thread, part of my big preparation for moving back to ireland..

i'm living in germany and I pay (wait for it...) 16.90 per month for my gym. It's basic, just weights and machines, they charge for the showers and for water, but it does the job. Even the more expensive places are about 40-ish a month. The big downside in Germany is that they make is almost impossible to leave - unless you do it in writing, on the first tuesday of the month, with a full mon rising in Capricorn, or something.

Anyway. The prices in this thread are a bit scary, I might stick to running and doing a few bits with free weights at home.

You'll find that quitting some Irish gyms is every bit as difficult. I blame Ryanair for setting abysmally low standards between business and consumers, and the Government for failing to enact proper EU based consumer law. Irish ministers are afraid of Michael O'Leary and the Director of Consumer Affairs thinks Jackie Skelly is wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BACKSTABBER

Does anyone have any info regarding price,trainers and overall impressions on the MiGYM in Boroimhe SC in Swords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

SourKraut wrote: »
    Your 'ultra'?

Excuse the ignorance, but what's that?

Longer distance marathon

Longer distance marathon

EXPLAIN ????

• Advertisement

EXPLAIN ????

longer than 26miles........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Atlas gym in Clondalkin is the best in Dublin for bodybuilding
    They got all the free weights and machines you need to beef up and pack on slabs of muscle.
    I am training there since it opened nearly 10 years ago and now compete at senior level in Irish bodybuilding shows
    Diet started this week for NABBA Mr Ireland and 12 weeks of Chicken and Tuna to go noooooooooooo :D

That was the very first gym I used. Not for the typical gym goer, if you're a big lifter it's a great gym, the owners from what I remember were pretty decent blokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Rejoined Liffey Valley just under a month ago. Having tried Sheldon Park and Ballyfermot Leisure Centre it is far, far superior to both of them. Last night was actually the busiest I've seen it since I rejoined...that was on the cardio floor though, it was jammers, weights floor still wasn't that busy.

Big tut tut to all the men who lift in the ladies only weights area though. :pac:

+1

There isn't a ladies section unless you count the machine weights area as the ladies part. There's a fair few women use the back during the day time when the free weights is busiest in my opinion. They've an offer for off-peak membership for unemployed people for €200 for the year. Off-peak is M-T 7am-3pm and any other time. Once you're in before 3pm you're fine. A lot of bang for your buck if you used it 4-5 times a week in my opinion.

thanks for the sensible answer, had a look at it last night and it seems just what i need. weights , sauna , steam room and good cardio equipment. will let you know how i get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I just paid €290 for 14 months at my local gym, Bodytrim in Navan.
    Pretty good gym. Other gyms in the area are about €400.
    Some gyms still do 'pay as you go' which might suit some people
    better.
    I reckon the best gym is the one which is less than 10mins from your house.
    That way you'll go to it.

squod wrote: »
    I just paid €290 for 14 months at my local gym, Bodytrim in Navan.
    Pretty good gym. Other gyms in the area are about €400.
    Some gyms still do 'pay as you go' which might suit some people
    better.
    I reckon the best gym is the one which is less than 10mins from your house.
    That way you'll go to it.

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 AmandaMc

Have just moved to Howth and need to join a gym nearby. Have tried out Total Fitness, Roganstown and Westwood. Westwood is the best, but a bit out of the way for me and cannot get over how overpriced it is. However i would still join due to the facilities (standards are very low in most gyms in Dublin I think but Westwood is the best of a bad bunch). Before I take the plunge I was wondering if members could let me know how it is for parking as I'm reluctant to spend that amount and not be able to get parking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

AmandaMc wrote: »
    Have just moved to Howth and need to join a gym nearby. Have tried out Total Fitness, Roganstown and Westwood. Westwood is the best, but a bit out of the way for me and cannot get over how overpriced it is. However i would still join due to the facilities (standards are very low in most gyms in Dublin I think but Westwood is the best of a bad bunch). Before I take the plunge I was wondering if members could let me know how it is for parking as I'm reluctant to spend that amount and not be able to get parking?

Obviously it depends on what time you go at. You will nearly always get parking in the second car park (which is shared with the train station.) As for the main car park, it tends to get busy in the evening 6.30pm onwards and dies down around 8.30-ish. But even when there is a queue for the main car park you won't be waiting too long for a spot as the streaming in and out is fairly consistent.

I went at 1 pm today and got a spot just fine in the main car park and normally i go from 9 pm on weeknights and theres never a queue to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Does anyone know what the weights section is like in TF Clarehall? It used to be great but it's been years since I've been there.

I'm thinking of joining as I'll be moving to within walking distance of it in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

tribulus wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the weights section is like in TF Clarehall? It used to be great but it's been years since I've been there.

I'm thinking of joining as I'll be moving to within walking distance of it in a few weeks.

It's not bad, 2 racks as far as I remember...??

Drop Mairt (or whatever he's calling himself thesedays!!) a PM, he trains there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ali07

I went to the westwood in Sandymount last night and in 20 mins that i went for a swim my shoes were gone ! I know I left them outside locker but they weren't even new shoes, i have used them not stop for the last 3 years. I honestly don't understand how somebody can take other people's old shoes.

I joined MiGYM two weeks ago . €49 a month on direct debit . It never seems to be too busy , there is always a machine or weights that I can get onto . Locker rooms are a bit small, showers are good and the sauna and steam room are good quality. Overall a good gym even if it's a bit dear but only 5 mins from the house. Any place I can loose 1/2 stone in two weeks is good for me. :)

I joined MiGYM two weeks ago . €49 a month on direct debit . :)

WOW €49.
    Seriously, are you two people or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

any 1 a member of westgrove lesiure club in clane

They're quoting €650 a year on their wesite, so yep I guess at that
    price it must be the best gym in the known universe.
    Don't know any other gym that expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

tribulus wrote: »

Hanley wrote: »
    Drop Mairt (or whatever he's calling himself thesedays!!) a PM, he trains there.

I'm back training there (after a stint at Northwood) and tbh I haven't looked at the weights yet as I'm concentrating on cardio & swimming.

But if you trained there a few years ago I'm confident that it won't be anything like it was back then. Whereas the placed was packed full of hardcore bodybuilders all I see using the weights area now are.... not bodybuilders!.

But after returning from Northwood I can appricate why I loved training in TF, its full of natural light (very important to me), great atmospher & friendly staff. Great parking too.

It also seem's like they've had their problems with the locker rooms and showers sorted.

Just as soon as I shift some flab I'll be back at the iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Ali07 wrote: »
    I went to the westwood in Sandymount last night and in 20 mins that i went for a swim my shoes were gone ! I know I left them outside locker but they weren't even new shoes, i have used them not stop for the last 3 years. I honestly don't understand how somebody can take other people's old shoes.

Possibly by accident? I had a pair of runners 'stolen' after I'd just used them for the first time while I was in the shower. Went to the desk on my next visit & someone must have handed them in, complete with socks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Anyone a member of Total Fitness Castleknock?

They say they offer an intro session where I'm assuming they give you a plan to work on and what not. Do they do regular followups every few weeks so the plan can be adjusted? Is it all free and included in the membership?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

Random wrote: »
    Anyone a member of Total Fitness Castleknock?

They say they offer an intro session where I'm assuming they give you a plan to work on and what not. Do they do regular followups every few weeks so the plan can be adjusted? Is it all free and included in the membership?

Thanks

Hey, I am a memeber there and they do give you a plan to follow and regular follow ups. As far as I know its all included. When you go to sign up ask for a girl called Karen and tell her that you where speaking to Keith, Amys Friend, she will know. She will look after you and get one of the good instructors to run through things with you.

Advertisement