Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

how heavy do dumbells go in there?

I'm not into weights but to untrained eye, they go pretty large/heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

Has anyone used this gym? *tries to not burst into song*

They have a lot of exercise classes which I would be interested in. Looking for somewhere that is south city centre for six months. Most places require to sign up for the year, and judging by the stories i'm reading here its not that easy to back out of a gym contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Crunch Fitness in UCD is a joke, I joined it in April - and it worked out at 220 euro for the year which is cheap in comparison to other gyms in Dublin.
    Its handy for me as I work there but having been a member of the fitness dock last year - Crunch just doesn't measure up at all. The staff are pretty much non - existent around the place (but that seems to be the case in a lot of gyms), the weights area down stairs is a disgrace - everything just strewn about the place.

Its just a mess and nobody every puts back anything in its place. I only use light weights and have resorted to using the weights that are set up in the room for the classes as I can't stand going down stairs. They also have this tiny little area that fits one person near the cardio machines for doing weights also but the weights range from 1kg to 4kg and sometimes you find them over near the exercise mats.

I mainly only use it for light weights so its ok for the moment, when my membership is up I won't be renewing it. I hate the disorganisation and when machines break down, they are not fixed for weeks. I just hope when UCD build the new pool and gym - they don't give the contract to Crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Update on Liffey Valley Fitness.

A few things that are really poor in my opinion

A lot of mirrors smashed in the weights area, assuming this is due to people not putting the weights down properly and/or leaving them all over the floor so they roll into the mirrors and crack them. Not really a problem (unless your a poser who likes looking in the mirror) but looks a bit s**t might cause a problem for some of the bigger dudes that use the mirrors to check they're form or whatever.

Obsencely loud and amazingly s**t music played in the cardio area, europop rubbish. Good for some people, pretty appaling for others, have had to leave on days i've forgot my ipod, due to the sheer crapness of the music.

Pretty bad trainers that I have dealt with so far. I say dealt with, but I actually haven't got to speak to any of them, pre-booked 2 days in advance to get a session with a trainer (weights etc) on two seperate occasions, had warmed up and was waiting for them, no sign of him after 10 minutes past the time we were supposed to start, approached the desk was told that he was cleaning the toilet??!! :eek: and he'd be there in 5 minutes. Another 15 minutes later, still no sign. By this time I was too pissed off to go down again, and just did my own thing. Said it to reception on the way out They didn't seem too pushed. Re-booked for two days later. Exactly the same thing happened again, this time was given the excuse that the trainer was life guarding the pool, (fair enough) asked for another trainer, none available.

Good points.

Great selection of weights.
    Huge amount of treadmills and bikes.
    Good classes.

Wont be renewing my membership though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Update on Liffey Valley Fitness.

A few things that are really poor in my opinion

A lot of mirrors smashed in the weights area, assuming this is due to people not putting the weights down properly and/or leaving them all over the floor so they roll into the mirrors and crack them. Not really a problem (unless your a poser who likes looking in the mirror) but looks a bit s**t might cause a problem for some of the bigger dudes that use the mirrors to check they're form or whatever.

Obsencely loud and amazingly s**t music played in the cardio area, europop rubbish. Good for some people, pretty appaling for others, have had to leave on days i've forgot my ipod, due to the sheer crapness of the music.

Pretty bad trainers that I have dealt with so far. I say dealt with, but I actually haven't got to speak to any of them, pre-booked 2 days in advance to get a session with a trainer (weights etc) on two seperate occasions, had warmed up and was waiting for them, no sign of him after 10 minutes past the time we were supposed to start, approached the desk was told that he was cleaning the toilet??!! :eek: and he'd be there in 5 minutes. Another 15 minutes later, still no sign. By this time I was too pissed off to go down again, and just did my own thing. Said it to reception on the way out They didn't seem too pushed. Re-booked for two days later. Exactly the same thing happened again, this time was given the excuse that the trainer was life guarding the pool, (fair enough) asked for another trainer, none available.

Good points.

Great selection of weights.
    Huge amount of treadmills and bikes.
    Good classes.

Wont be renewing my membership though.

What do you reckon it costs to join this this lovely place for a year, anyone?
    Why not just leave and demand a full refund Bob?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

squod wrote: »
    What do you reckon it costs to join this this lovely place for a year, anyone?
    Why not just leave and demand a full refund Bob?

I paid 300 for the year. Which in fairness is not bad. The points that I've brought up are bear able for that type of money.
    I don't think there are too many places around that are that low.
    I should have said the gym serves its purpose, show up with an ipod do my bit and get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I paid 300 for the year. Which in fairness is not bad. The points that I've brought up are bear able for that type of money.
    I don't think there are too many places around that are that low.
    I should have said the gym serves its purpose, show up with an ipod do my bit and get out.

Hugh building, I was expecting it to be more costly. In all fairness the bleedin' lights probably cost more to run than the staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alexnapier

kevpants wrote: »
    Savage!

I wonder can you pay in for a session? I'd love to have a go. If it's as good as it sounds Total Fitness can whistle for my membership renewal next June!

I have recently joined Universal Gym and am extremely satisfied. This gym is for anybody who wants to be a serious bodybuilder. Packed with hardcore equipmet and tons wieght theres no excusse not to get huge. It also has a boxing bag and a speed ball. all the guys who work there are sound and help you if needed. Reccommend this to anybody who is serious about gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alexnapier

I have recently joined Universal Gym and am extremely satisfied. This gym is for anybody who wants to be a serious bodybuilder. Packed with hardcore equipmet and tons wieght theres no excusse not to get huge. It also has a boxing bag and a speed ball. all the guys who work there are sound and help you if needed. Reccommend this to anybody who is serious about gym

They are located in ballycoolin bussines park dublin 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Hey Folks. I want to join a new gym in North Dublin. I live in Swords. My problem is who do you join. I received a "cheque" from Westwood in Clontarf which means instead of 499 euros join up fee I pay 31 euros. Catch is that I still need to pay offpeak 55 euros and 75 for use the whole time. That does not feel like a great offer to me to be honest. I have checked a few others like Alsaa which is 375 euros a month but crazily the main swimming pool is at a different place to the gym, Portmarnock is 550 for 14months and Jackie Skellys (which has a dire reputation from what I hear) is 55 euros a month in Swords. I have not checked as regards Total Fitness at Clarehall. Without going through all the threads of what is good and not, can someone suggest a good gym/swimming pool in North Dublin which is value for money , u won't be waiting for ages for a machine each night because it is so packed and where you don't have to pay a ridiculous joining fee amount. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

hi all,im wondering if anybody has any reviews on the nac in blanch,i've heard them bragging recently about getting new pulse equipment but i am not too sure what this is,any advice greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Hello everyone, so i am looking to join a gym in the CC... Northside to be preferable.. Anyone know of any deals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, so i am looking to join a gym in the CC... Northside to be preferable.. Anyone know of any deals?

hercules works out at bout 320 per year check it out www.herculesclub.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Link isn't working :(

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

janullrich wrote: »
    Hey Folks. I want to join a new gym in North Dublin. I live in Swords. My problem is who do you join. I received a "cheque" from Westwood in Clontarf which means instead of 499 euros join up fee I pay 31 euros. Thanks.

Hi, Check out Roganstown its past Applewood in Swords. They dont have a great site showing the gym but i find it great. Call up and have a look around. Oh and theres no joining fee at all and never many there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Northwood Gym, Santry

I've been a member in Northwood for 15 months now, and it's gotten worse over the last few months, so I wont be renewing.

Always lots of Cardio equipment available, but in terms of Free Weights, Benches, Smith Machines etc... If you go between 5p.m and 10p.m closing, be prepared to wait, as the gym is PACKED at these hours.

The free weights have become very rough looking and really need replacing. There's only as few E-Z Bars remaining, as 3 have gone missing in the last few months.

Some of the staff are clueless. There's a 'larger' girl there that works as an instructor who claims she was a professional tennis player for some reason, and I saw her instructing some bloke completely wrong on Squats, to the point one of the qualified guys had to go up and correct her before the guy did himself an injury.

The Qualified dudes that do work there, (Kev etc) are very knowledgeable, but you're paying for that, so it's to be expected.

It's becoming increasingly packed with absolute idiots who just sit around on the benches and take up space talking to each other.

The Cable machines are in rag order and need replacing, if not updating.

The gyms choice of supplements is terrible, and fairly expensive at that.

When I joined last year, the gym was great, and never too packed, but the recession seems to have driven people in there in their droves.

The changing rooms are still clean and kept clean, and there's generally a good few free lockers.

In short, the uncapped membership has really ruined the gym. I know it's cheap, and you get what you pay for, but Northwood 'aint worth it. (Unless you go at 6.30 in the AM, which I've been forced to do, to fit in an hour workout un-interrupted and without a bunch of timewasters/ posers taking up space.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Anybody any experience of Simply Fitness in Milltown, Dublin 6?

http://www.simplyfitness.ie/

Looking into joining a gym next month (if funds allow) and looking for something in the Dundrum/Clonskeagh area.

Friarsland and David Lloyd are turning out to be pretty expensive, I'm not pushed on Crunch in UCD and don't think I can bring myself to try the new EducoGym in Dundrum so Simply Fitness seems to be my last option!

Any reviews?

Thanks
    orlee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭WhoseView: Michael

My wife just joined Total Fitness in Sandyford, as offering great deal at €480 for 1 year membership - no joining fee. Only last month they were charging something like €800. A dose of reality I think has sat in....Not surprised given I hear it's become quiet up there recently. Still great value for money....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

My wife just joined Total Fitness in Sandyford, as offering great deal at €480 for 1 year membership - no joining fee. Only last month they were charging something like €800. A dose of reality I think has sat in....Not surprised given I hear it's become quiet up there recently. Still great value for money....

Nah its been €450 for a year for the last few weeks online, I joined back in july €450 for 11 mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I checked it out too. There's only one bench and squar rack but there is a decent set of dumbells.

60 to join and 30 per month. Haven't decided yet. I want to take a look at the Carlyle which I think has a swimming pool.
    Orlee wrote: »
    Anybody any experience of Simply Fitness in Milltown, Dublin 6?

http://www.simplyfitness.ie/

Looking into joining a gym next month (if funds allow) and looking for something in the Dundrum/Clonskeagh area.

Friarsland and David Lloyd are turning out to be pretty expensive, I'm not pushed on Crunch in UCD and don't think I can bring myself to try the new EducoGym in Dundrum so Simply Fitness seems to be my last option!

Any reviews?

Thanks
    orlee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tinyter28

Hey

Im currently shopping around for a gym, narrowed it down to between Westpoint and TF Blanch. Which one would people recommend?

Would be weight training mostly small bits of cardio. Been using the DCU elite gym for past three years so whichever is most similar would be best!

prob most use of gym would be evenings (after 6pm) heard that both are busy?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

tinyter28 wrote: »
    Hey

Im currently shopping around for a gym, narrowed it down to between Westpoint and TF Blanch. Which one would people recommend?

Would be weight training mostly small bits of cardio. Been using the DCU elite gym for past three years so whichever is most similar would be best!

prob most use of gym would be evenings (after 6pm) heard that both are busy?

Cheers

I can only speak about TF Blanch. If your interested in weight training its got a good 'hardcore' feel to it.

I like training there, it reminds me the why gym's were 'back in the day' and there's some good lads from this forum training there too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you're looking for a good weight room, TF's the only choice.

just checked TF website and individual membership is €595 and they have an 18month mega deal for €725

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Total Fitness often send me offers of €395 per year membership. Might we worth signing up for a text alert of something and seeing what happens. I wouldn't join for 595 per year anyway.

When I saw Keith C and Michael's post - of 450euro memebership, I decided to look at their online membership. No real offer and I'm not paying nearly 600 quid for membership for a year. I think I might look at the pool and gym in Dundrum http://www.dlrleisureservices.ie/meadowbrook/ and see if thats worth joining. Its 450 for the year as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 plumax

DCU gym. for cardio quite decent. for weights dear god it is crap actully no it is really really really crap. My membership will be up in around the start of october and at that point i will probably look for another gym.

Then again if i could find a reasonably priced bodybuilders/ powerlifter gym around santry drumcondra i would join that and stay with DCU aswell. So if anybody knows any let me know;)

I know good gym in tallaght besade maldron hotel good swiming pool very friendly staff you fill very welcome in there

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I've been a member for 1 month now so think that's long enough for me to review the gym!

TEMPLE BAR
    Pros- very handy for me as i am in college in town, cheap membership i got a student deal two for 395 each! love the programs and that the machines count your sets and reps for you which is very motivating and time saving. Classes are great i've done the flat abs, body sculpt and lean legs and tight glutes. if some one is using a machine i want i just use the next one on my program and come back to it so no hassle.

cons-a bit tacty in decor, quite dark and music is very dancey. Some guys really stare at me.only getting 2 guest passes a year is lame
    overall i am happy with this gym and would recommend it as for it's price you can't do better. 8/10

DUN LAOIRGHE
    this was the reason i joined crunch i loved it! loved the reformer pilates and nearly died at spinning! love the jacuzzi and how it's separated between men and women. love the hotel vibe and love the glamour and how relaxing it is.
    love how they pay for the parking. can't fault it it is much classier than the temple bar one. another positive is hot men! oh dear lord this is where all the hot irish men have been hiding!! i worked out in the unofficial mens weight area and dear god the sights were amazing! 10/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

serenacat wrote: »
    I've been a member for 1 month now so think that's long enough for me to review the gym!

TEMPLE BAR
    Pros- very handy for me as i am in college in town, cheap membership i got a student deal two for 395 each! love the programs and that the machines count your sets and reps for you which is very motivating and time saving. Classes are great i've done the flat abs, body sculpt and lean legs and tight glutes. if some one is using a machine i want i just use the next one on my program and come back to it so no hassle.

cons-a bit tacty in decor, quite dark and music is very dancey. Some guys really stare at me.only getting 2 guest passes a year is lame
    overall i am happy with this gym and would recommend it as for it's price you can't do better. 8/10

DUN LAOIRGHE
    this was the reason i joined crunch i loved it! loved the reformer pilates and nearly died at spinning! love the jacuzzi and how it's separated between men and women. love the hotel vibe and love the glamour and how relaxing it is.
    love how they pay for the parking. can't fault it it is much classier than the temple bar one. another positive is hot men! oh dear lord this is where all the hot irish men have been hiding!! i worked out in the unofficial mens weight area and dear god the sights were amazing! 10/10
    you list under 'cons' that men stare at you but you list under 'pros' that you stare at men?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

you list under 'cons' that men stare at you but you list under 'pros' that you stare at men?

That's the sublime double standard that only women have access to!

Advertisement