Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

What do people think I can get WW leopardstown for at a student rate?

I am thinking of moving from TF sandyford to it.

I was just up and was quoted a special 'one time' deal that I could only avail of my putting 20e down now. The guy had just got this off the manager as 'he ran out the door'. He was possibly the worst sales I've ever encountered. He acted like a pentulent child when I told him I wasn't putting 20e down.

If I paid 660e up front I'd get 15 months. I might be moving in a few months but the one is sandymount is near work so I'd probably be near there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

serenacat wrote: »
    I've been a member for 1 month now so think that's long enough for me to review the gym!

TEMPLE BAR
    Pros- very handy for me as i am in college in town, cheap membership i got a student deal two for 395 each!

Seems like a good deal... I'd pop in tomorrow and see if this is still available:D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Seems like a good deal... I'd pop in tomorrow and see if this is still available:D

They quoted me 395 for two students for the one in tallaght but I haggled a bit and they said I could join myself for 395, just in case you're going in without someone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Thinking of Joining Total Fitness Castleknock,

Any good?

Plus the other gyms are availble for use also, so Im thinking gonna go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ichiro wrote: »
    Thinking of Joining Total Fitness Castleknock,

Any good?

Yes, its very good IMO.

Upstairs the cardio and machine weights area is huge and is never over crowded (or even crowded!).

The weights room downstairs can get busy, but its got a good hardcore feel to it but it REALLY needs a power rack.

The wet area is great, I love its hydrotherapy pool, sauna & steam room - now I wish TF Malahide could get their act together and replicate it!.

If your tempted by the Ben Dunne offer's at other gym's READ THIS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭gravity12

Hi,

Does anyone have any info (good or bad) on Crunch Fitness in tallaght.

thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Nickster

Yes, its very good IMO.

Upstairs the cardio and machine weights area is huge and is never over crowded (or even crowded!).

The weights room downstairs can get busy, but its got a good hardcore feel to it but it REALLY needs a power rack.

The wet area is great, I love its hydrotherapy pool, sauna & steam room - now I wish TF Malahide could get their act together and replicate it!.

If your tempted by the Ben Dunne offer's at other gym's READ THIS.
    Hey Kaelyn Wet Penniless

Thats an interesting experience you have there. I am currently in Northwood and I have to totally agree. I am thinking of joining Total Fitness Castleknock. The equipment in Northwood is great but I found that the atmosphere in the place is dead. It seems that nobody wants to talk to each other.

What is it like in Total Fitness in terms of atmosphere? Need to find a decent training partner too.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

you list under 'cons' that men stare at you but you list under 'pros' that you stare at men?
    i dont mind hotties looking at me at all its the weird ones i mind!

Nickster wrote: »
    Hey Makikomi

Thats an interesting experience you have there. I am currently in Northwood and I have to totally agree. I am thinking of joining Total Fitness Castleknock. The equipment in Northwood is great but I found that the atmosphere in the place is dead. It seems that nobody wants to talk to each other.

What is it like in Total Fitness in terms of atmosphere? Need to find a decent training partner too.Thanks

Its great in TF mostly. I truely hated Northwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

I see the TF gyms are doing an offer for 15 months membership for €450 over 25's and €290 for under 25's, not a bad at all!

On a side note totally agree with the above poster about the natural light remark, I used to train in westpoint and hated that there was no natural light upstairs, in TF theres load, an aspect you can easily forget about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

So I've joined Crunch Fitness in Temple Bar, and so far it's pretty decent. The decor makes me think that it may double as a brothel after hours, but apart from that, recommended if, like me, you work in town and need a gym near your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Hey, anybody else a membner of Westpoint in Blanchardstown? Whats been happening there recently?

Theyve removed the TV's from the cardio equipment upstairs and as far as I know theyve closed the steam room. This doesnt bother me too much since I dont use either of them much, howeverm whats really been on my mind there the last while is that there seem to be fewer and fewer dumbells and and plates for the bars as of late. Has anyone else noticed this? He isnt selling them off or something is he lol??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Flex wrote: »
    Hey, anybody else a membner of Westpoint in Blanchardstown? Whats been happening there recently?

Theyve removed the TV's from the cardio equipment upstairs and as far as I know theyve closed the steam room. This doesnt bother me too much since I dont use either of them much, howeverm whats really been on my mind there the last while is that there seem to be fewer and fewer dumbells and and plates for the bars as of late. Has anyone else noticed this? He isnt selling them off or something is he lol??

Maybe he's using the money he's made off selling them to finance his buy out of Total Fatness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭sunnydelight

I heard he was up there looking around, but didnt hear he bought T/F, I thought that was a rumor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yarmanfromdebar

Hello Folks, I have been a member of a number of gyms around South Dublin since i moved up eight years ago. After a year or two here or there i had settled on total fitness, but have noticed in the last six months the place has gone to the dogs! The odour of urine from the toilets that can be smelt from halfway through the changing rooms, the increasing number of out of order machines that are not broken but not maintained, The heart rate monitor still broken on the machine where the member had a heart attack earlier this year, the mold growing on the way to the pool the fire alarm that has been disconnected near the emergency exit between the toilet and the pool, the damp patch in the upstairs carpet from the leaking water fountain....
    Those are just what i noted yesterday during my workout, if i had looked i am sure i could have found more. What is worse is the fact that its not for an inability to remedy the problems but an unwillingness. For those of you whom are members and are thinking I am out of line, how is it when the admissions turnstile is broken its never broken for more than a day but machines stay broken for weeks!?
    My membership will be up in next couple of weeks and i am unfortunately finding myself hard pushed to renew my long running membership. I would appreciate any suggestions as to a good all round gym in the area that is still maintained during this economic downturn?
    Also if you could post your own experiences of the place (no real names) So it could be printed an posted to the management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

You could make a complaint to management about it.

http://www.totalfitness.ie/health-club/sandyford/

The heart rate monitor still broken on the machine where the member had a heart attack earlier this year

Is it awful that I larfed?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Would it be wrong to have a "give out about Total fitness Sandyford" sticky?

I heard he was up there looking around, but didnt hear he bought T/F, I thought that was a rumor

I hope he's not, he'll run it like his other kips and ruin it.

As it is I don't mind paying the extra to get away from his over crowded, dank & dreary gyms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yarmanfromdebar

I do intend to but unfortunately, when dealing with a company of the size of totalfitness, one voice will fall on deaf ears!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

I've made complaints there and they haven't fallen on deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

gravity12 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have any info (good or bad) on Crunch Fitness in tallaght.

thanks in advance.

I joined crunch tallaght this year and i love it and go 3-4 days a week, i dont do free weights but use everything else and i would have very little negative things to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 professional Jo

Hi all,

Does anyone here use the Sano Vitae gym in the IFSC. I'm joining it later this month and i just want to get some feedback from people on it.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 haveachat

I was a memeber up there, Overall i think it is a good gym however i fully agree with the thred poster. There are far to many issues going on at any one time there are always machines and vending machines out of order and it takes far to long for management to get there finger out and fix it. Its either to hot or too cold generally to hot especially in the free weight section. The Gym itself has so much promise to be one of the best gym's in Europe bar the bad management.

However the one thing i do want to harp on about is the changing rooms, They really are a disgrace. the tings i have seen in the plug holes of the showers are disgusting. i know they can't be cleaned after each use but i have seen a plaster in the plug hole for near on a week. The smell of urine is rampant and the tanning beds are never wiped down properly.

They really need to get there finger out and turn things around.

As i now work in town i joined another gym in the IFSC, quite small but has everything you need and top quality machines. not to mention complimentary towels, fruit and water per visit.

Anyway just my thought on the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

I have been a member of here for the past 2 and a half years and i have to say the demise in the place is shocking. Machine weights are about to fall apart. Your kicked out of the sauna at 9:25 some nights! I know they got new managment at the start of the year but things have just got worse. The manager who i think is the English bloke is the biggest yes man i have ever met. I complained about being kicked out of the sauna early three times and nothing was done. I also renewed my membership for €595 - 1 week later my mate got it for something like €250 on a student deal, when in reality he's a 29 year old bloke who hasn't been in college for 8 years, the lads in membership forged a student card for him. That says it all about the place. I cant wait to get out of the place and join somewhere in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Laughlinstown Has been done up.

Sort of.

They have moved the free weights section and its much roomier.
    The little hole where the racks and benches were is now a floor work area.

The Pullup/dip station is gone.:(
    But the odd looking pullup bar thingy is still on the wall.

A few more machines, but no new free weights stuff.
    Two of the C2's have been replaced with newer ones.
    Lot of the Gammy old cardio machines have been replaced.

Utter failure to upgrade the free lifting stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

well i'm a member of Jackie Skelly in Nutgrove and i find it great !
    It's really open spaced and loads of treadmills , cross trainers etc and the weight section is pretty big ! Although sometimes the weights or the balls go missing but they eventually return !

the personal trainers there are really nice and their free which is a bonus and there's always some around which is good . They also opened a new beauty pod there now too and the classes are usually free!

So i would recommend my jackie skelly , but i have heard of a load of bad reviews but i don't know ? maybe because mine is their latest it's the best condition because when i walk by the one in town it looks quiet horrible =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 toebar

public gym rip off

too expensive now a private company

les mills not included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 toebar

glad you like the gym mow try and leave it.....

000s of phone calls and a contract that was brought to national consumer agency

hope you didnt give them your real ph number

anyway remember the data protection act if you need them to stop...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

brianblaze wrote: »
    So I've joined Crunch Fitness in Temple Bar, and so far it's pretty decent. The decor makes me think that it may double as a brothel after hours, but apart from that, recommended if, like me, you work in town and need a gym near your job.

Classic::D

Advertisement