Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Quick questions, whats everyones opinons on RAW? how much is it yearly? whats the equipment like? what time does it close? cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Shane101

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Laughlinstown Has been done up.

Sort of.

They have moved the free weights section and its much roomier.
    The little hole where the racks and benches were is now a floor work area.

The Pullup/dip station is gone.:(
    But the odd looking pullup bar thingy is still on the wall.

A few more machines, but no new free weights stuff.
    Two of the C2's have been replaced with newer ones.
    Lot of the Gammy old cardio machines have been replaced.

Utter failure to upgrade the free lifting stuff though.

Yeah I was well disappointed with that move.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lucan45

Just joined BD Fitness with the girlfriend at the Lidl Store in Lucan. You wanna see the gym. Incredible!!! 200 Euro well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Whens it opening up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 lucan45

They said it will be open to use by Thursday or Friday next week but they are open for viewing and buying memberships now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tony_kenny_

Is there a swimming pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Nope. just a gym

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Its above Lidl store, could be a problem if there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

ronaneire wrote: »
    Its above Lidl store, could be a problem if there was one.

They'd bottle the water and sell it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭redorblack

lucan45 wrote: »
    Just joined BD Fitness with the girlfriend at the Lidl Store in Lucan. You wanna see the gym. Incredible!!! 200 Euro well spent.

And good evening to you Ben :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

redorblack wrote: »
    And good evening to you Ben :D

Lucan 45 isn't Ben Dunne... He's too busy on Bendunne.com. The newest in amazing advertising in Ireland...

Maybe I'm Ben Dunne!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jungleboy

Lads,

I was working over the weekend so I could not get down, The wife called in and said that it looked pretty good a really good stretching area and a ladies weights area.

I had a quick look in the door last week but I got booted of site as it was not open. Did anyone hear that you can get membership until the end of Jan 2011 for 200 euro? is this true?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

enough shill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jungleboy

If your Ben dunne, Do you know if they are giving programmes to new members to help them along or will you have to pay for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I put this in BA too:

I'm a member of the Mardyke Gym (Cork) which now won't open til January or February apparently due to flood damage. Anyway I had a look at various gyms in or near Cork city centre. Most require the usual commitment but the Montenotte Hotel is doing a once off rate of one month's membership for €30 (you have to sign up before end of December). I'm going to do this anyway, will bridge gap until Mardyke reopens. They have all the cardio machines, and weights/machines are decent enough (not as good as Mardyke but on the plus side the guy said it won't be as busy). Will try it out properly in next few days. That rate also includes full access to pool, sauna, jacuzzi and steam room Thought it might be helpful to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

jungleboy wrote: »
    Lads,

I was working over the weekend so I could not get down, The wife called in and said that it looked pretty good a really good stretching area and a ladies weights area.

I had a quick look in the door last week but I got booted of site as it was not open. Did anyone hear that you can get membership until the end of Jan 2011 for 200 euro? is this true?

yep called in there (lucan) on Sunday (opening day) the guy seemed pretty knolwedgable and helpfull. couple hundred peices of equipment there, cardio area is well equipped only bout 5 bench's for weights, but lots of floor area. and Yeh €200 untill end of jan 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Any good and cheap gyms around the kilmainham area. Walking distance of Kilmainham Jail if possible. I know about the one in the Hilton Hotel in Kilmainham but its awful expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭IWishh

YMCA. Has anyone used this gym? *tries to not burst into song*

They have a lot of exercise classes which I would be interested in. Looking for somewhere that is south city centre for six months. Most places require to sign up for the year, and judging by the stories i'm reading here its not that easy to back out of a gym contact.

Also wondering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

IWishh wrote: »
    Also wondering?

I used it a couple of times earlier in the year. membership is cheap and there are a lot of classes but they had no spare barbells when I was there so I took one from the only bench press so I could do overhead press.

they dont have much plates so you can forget about deadlifting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Hi all,

Does anyone here use the Sano Vitae gym in the IFSC. I'm joining it later this month and i just want to get some feedback from people on it.

Thanks in advance.

I was also wondering about this. Is it value for money, €60 p/m no joining fee, €700 for a year or €400 for 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭IWishh

I used it a couple of times earlier in the year. membership is cheap and there are a lot of classes but they had no spare barbells when I was there so I took one from the only bench press so I could do overhead press.

they dont have much plates so you can forget about deadlifting

ive never joined a gym before so really dont know about things like barbells and deadlifting but ymca not having them shouldnt be a problem for me if im a girl and just looking to get fitter, maybe lose some weight.. should it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

IWishh wrote: »
    ive never joined a gym before so really dont know about things like barbells and deadlifting but ymca not having them shouldnt be a problem for me if im a girl and just looking to get fitter, maybe lose some weight.. should it?

If you just want to get fitter, the YMCA is the place for you. Loads of classes like boxercise, combat aerobics, boot camp etc. The gym isn't great if your into bodybuilding but that probably doesn't matter to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

Anyone over in Naas Health & Fitness (Monread) ???? Had a look through at don't see any recent reviews for it, memebership is up somewhere and am wondering if this place is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Probably been done to death but des anyone know of a decent gym where you dont have to pay by direct debit??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 GoodPaddy

Lollymcd wrote: »
    I was also wondering about this. Is it value for money, €60 p/m no joining fee, €700 for a year or €400 for 6 months.

There are two gyms in the IFSC, one is part of the clarion hotel (700 euro yr) and the other is SV fitness which is beside the National
    college down there and is 400euro a year however no pool and closed weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Just wondering is anyone here a member ?

Anyone know price for a full year's membership ? I hear their priced competitively as they are finding it hard to atract members ?

Does it get crowded and is there a good free weights sections.

Thanks for any replies.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If it's the one operated by NRG fitness it's quite a nice setup, cardio and weights area a bit cramped but clean and pleasant. Pool area was terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Guy who sits beside me here in work is a member and is always complaining that it's far too busy during the rush hours of 16:30 - 19:00...though I can't confirm this myself.

Membership price of €550 is pretty good though for the facilities they offer.

Alternative close by is the Kingsley Hotel at €1000, good value if you intend on making good use of it. Price includes all classes. It's closed for renovations for flood damage but it due to reopen in a couple of weeks I hope!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

€1,000 is a bit steep although €550 would be reasonable.

Anyone know the opening hours ? Their website is borderline useless.

Advertisement