Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

so i was told the carlisle gym is aroud E350ish now and increasing in february...in the summer by friend got it for E170ish what a load of bollox!!!...do any of yous know if 2 or 3 join together we will get t cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Anyone know the opening hours ? Their website is borderline useless.

Have you not tried to call them!!?? Book an appointment to view their facilities too and haggle on the price. I know they do special corporate rates, if you push them you might convince them to reduce the price a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

You'll probably get a lot more responses from a thread created under the Region - South - Cork Ciry forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Trying to decide at the minute which one of these to join. Any thoughts? My priority is a mix of cardio and resistance training.

I'm actually already a member of Crunch Temple Bar and if I rejoin within the next 3 months then there's no rejoining fee - just continue as before. I liked Crunch but getting to Temple Bar across town was awkward. The gym has loads of machines and benches which is great but the pool area is very small and often over crowded.

I checked out SportsCo the other night. Location wise it's very attractive and it's got a nice 25 metre pool. On the other hand it's quite expensive (€230 joining fee alone) and isn't nearly as well equipped as Crunch. Although the tennis/squash/soccer/golf features are nice even though I'm not sure how often I'd really use them.

As for Jackie Skelly I really only know them by reputation (which isn't good). I might check out the one in Ballsbridge tonight. At the moment they are offering no joining fee and reduced monthly fees as part of a "january sale" even though I'm sure they'll have similar offers year round!

Any tips would be appreciated. Also I dont know how long I'll be in the country so would be looking for a realtively short term contract to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Where are you located? That might help with advice.

Jackie Skelly is a typical yuppie gym with no squat rack, actually quite decent machines and lots of cardio. It's also filled with bored trainers who know very little but like to parade around like models. They're also bandits in terms of their contract and like to employ the super, super, mega hard sell. Be VERY wary. If you go with them, ask to take a copy of the contract away with you so that you can read it at your leisure so that you fully understand it. They'll start to squirm and tell you the offer is only good that day etc etc....

Raw Condition at Portobello (Lower Camden St) is very good - reasonable prices, no joining fee and no hard sell (my flatmates go there). They'll also provide a straight up quote and then honour it if you want to go away and think about it.

Can't comment on the others, though lots of people here will be able to.

I'd be wary of a gym that asks for ANOTHER joining fee if you're an existing member. It's not usual at all because you're usually not really "out of contract" until you give them several years notice ;) (sarcastic - usually a month or two)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Thanks for that - I'm based south city centre. I'd actually never heard of Raw Condition. I must go check it out! Presume there's no pool there?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Sorry, no pool. Here's the website.

http://www.rawcondition.com/

Apparently they're pretty good about letting you train there the first time for free to test it out. It's a lot more casual than the "brand" gyms and there are people there to help you out with a bit of advice without trying to push expensive personal training services on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Max Power2

So if you are looking for a short contract gym (3 months) and are focused on either losing a bit of weight or building up the bod, Educogym on Pearse st - near Grand Canal Dock is very good.I know Educogym has been well thrashed here - and yes it's pricey, but as someone with no bias one way or the other I have found it awesome over the last 2 months. They do one week free trials every now and then - at a min worth calling in to see the place, suss out the trainers - all really good - and ask a few questions. Lots of talk on Boards about supplements and such - they sell them - which gym doesn't? but at least in that particular one there's no hard sell at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

anyone know anything on roganstown gym jus outside swords?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

shakencat wrote: »
    anyone know anything on roganstown gym jus outside swords?

I heard the gym's fairly decent, but apparently one or two members of staff up there are pretty rude. THere's one girl with short dark hair I think, people are always complaining about her...

• Advertisement

I heard the gym's fairly decent, but apparently one or two members of staff up there are pretty rude. THere's one girl with short dark hair I think, people are always complaining about her...

how come rogan stown came up red :confused:

Ive been up once or twice with friends,
    the one girl i thought you were talking bout was pretty nice to me!

maybe theres another girl that i should look out for:)

Either way,
    I think il be waiting until the price drops a bit,
    Its very steep for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cas_k

I am currently a member of Ben Dunnes gym in Northwood. The gym has served its purpose over the last year but I find the place souless and the classes are very samey and repeatative. I am thinking of moving my gym into town. I have narrowed my choices down to either The Fitness Dock (they seem to have a brilliant range of classes) or Raw (seems to be a small enough gym and am hopeing there is less of a chance I will fall into the "just another number category). I am also hoping to start doing more weights work this year so thinking that Raw may not have such a "Block Head" culture.

Any suggestions????

:)
    cas_k wrote: »
    I am currently a member of Ben Dunnes gym in Northwood. The gym has served its purpose over the last year but I find the place souless and the classes are very samey and repeatative. I am thinking of moving my gym into town. I have narrowed my choices down to either The Fitness Dock (they seem to have a brilliant range of classes) or Raw (seems to be a small enough gym and am hopeing there is less of a chance I will fall into the "just another number category). I am also hoping to start doing more weights work this year so thinking that Raw may not have such a "Block Head" culture.

Any suggestions????
    ive been to fitness dock a few times..
    if i lived in town.. id be joining there!!
    jus no need for me to join livin closer to TF!
    :)
    i dont know much about RAW though..
    so i guess im biased..?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mectavba

Hi,

Im a member if Jackie Skelly's on Clarendon St. Not particularly impressed with it, only plus is that its in town where I work. My membership is due to run out in February and I am thinking of joining the Fitness Dock on Camden St. Can anyone give me advice whether its much better or not and how much will it cost to join?

I am currently paying €67 a month in Jackie Skellys.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

mectavba wrote: »
    Hi,

Im a member if Jackie Skelly's on Clarendon St. Not particularly impressed with it, only plus is that its in town where I work. My membership is due to run out in February and I am thinking of joining the Fitness Dock on Camden St. Can anyone give me advice whether its much better or not and how much will it cost to join?

I am currently paying €67 a month in Jackie Skellys.

First of all if I were you I would notify Jackie Skellys asap that you will not be renewing your membership with them, as the stories I have heard you will need to give them alot of notice.

Second I was a member of Fitness dock for a few months, its a small enough gym but have to say there classes are great and always nearly full so it might be a good idea to go as a guest and try it out and check how busy the classes are as you might not get into the class you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

I started using BodyLab gym in Balbriggan recently and have to say I find it great. Personal training with a guy called John is really good too, i have been going now for 2 months and am still there so thats always a good sign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

cas_k wrote: »

Any suggestions????

Not just saying this because I know the owner but I find RAW to be a good gym, lacking a little in the way of machines but they are getting there. The free weights that they have are excellent, top quality to be honest. You should go up there, ask for Anthony and explain to him what you are looking to do and you never know he might let ya train for free that day to get a feel for the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Anyone know any good gyms in the dublin 2/4 area? Im looking for somewhere that has a squat rack and proper weights etc. Im living near Grand Canal dock so close to there would be ideal but Ive looked and there doesnt seem to be much?

Is anyone a member in the Madron hotel? Ive heard there's a gym there but havent had much success finding out about it online. Can non students join the gym in Trinity?

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 red barron

joined in june last year and the place has gone to the dogs

1- sauna not working for nearly all of december
    2- hydro pool cold and when you ask the staff they say its 35 degrees ...feels freezing
    3- staff unfriendly especially in the pool area

place has turned into a kip. saw ben dunne up there in october so maybe he took it over

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Time out

At least they stayed open in worst of snow, the complaints listed here have not really effected me but have noticed the weighing scales now gone from gents changing room. I would not say its a kip and I do like the fact it is very big - maybe thats the reason its harder to upkeep. I suppose if Gym's are battling on prices all the time something is gonna suffer......
    Overall I would say this thread is a bit harsh on the Gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

A small bit off topic, but could someone tell me what kind of weights equipment they have in TF Sandyford?
    Do they have a power rack / power racks, bench press, platforms? Have they got bumper plates?

There's a possibility I could be working in sandyford in the near future so just wondering. Or would I be mad to join? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Time out

They have a bench press, four I think and I'm not sure what the other stuff you mentioned is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

dioltas wrote: »
    A small bit off topic, but could someone tell me what kind of weights equipment they have in TF Sandyford?
    Do they have a power rack / power racks, bench press, platforms? Have they got bumper plates?

2XPower racks, 4 bench press racks, and about 4/5 standalone benches.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Don't they have 3 racks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

yea but only 2 are cages, ones an open one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Am I the only one who likes TF:Sandyford???

Nope, been a member for 4 years now. Has everything I need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hanley wrote: »

I've never been in it tbh.

All but for a break of two years I've been a member of TF Malahide Rd since the day it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Hanley wrote: »

Tbh the description doesn't turn me off one bit. manky jacks etc don't really bother me so long as it has all the stuff I need.

• Advertisement

EZ bar bicep curl is the exercise of favour up there....leaving the squat racks empty for the majority of the time. Only ever see a small % of people squatting and DL'ing, so never have to wait long to use them, if at all.

Advertisement