Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

My membership in Northwood is up end of Jan and thinking of moving to somewhere else even though I live right next to Northwood gym I just find it over subscribed and crowded all the time, difficult to get a routine going, you can never find the weights you want either as people keep on taking them away, never put them back etc...

So anyone recommend anything in the area of Santry, preferably a pool also. Was looking at regency hotel on swords road but not sure if it is any good...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Weirdfish

Apparently there is a new gym in Balbriggan - Platinum Gym - haven't been myself but heard good things. I am so sick though of fighting for weights at the moment - gonna skip the gym until towards the end of next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

aye wrote: »
    You could make a complaint to management about it.

http://www.totalfitness.ie/health-club/sandyford/

I've been a memeber for 3 years now.
    When I joined there were complaint cards that you could fill in for the manager to look at. After becoming increasingly annoyed during one session last year I went and asked for a complaint card and was told by the receptionist that Total Fitness's policy no longer includes written complaints, I was told that I could wait for the manager, but it was intoned that I shouldn't hold my breath.
    Recently (2-3 months ago) my friend and I went to the gym in the evening to use the running track, only to find that the track was closed to facilitate a GAA team who were using the track. This had also been the case in the afternoon a few days before hand. That evening we asked to see the manager who was very apologetic when he arrived. We pointed out that as members we shouldnt have to sacrifice facilities to non members at the drop of a hat, something which is common place in Total Fitness. I've lost count of the amount of times where I've had to not use certain facilities because some football team or kick boxing club had paid to use it. Fair enough, it's a business and they need to make money but you also have to honour the terms of service you give to your members.
    I could rant all day about the condition of various facilities, although with the bad weather they seem to have had a chance to get the ship in order, probably out of boredom. Hopefully the recent trend of a tidy useable gym continues beyond January.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

Hanley wrote: »
    Am I the only one who likes TF:Sandyford???

Nope, I think it's great. I joined in late October last year and I really like it, loads of space, lots of machines for the lovely girls to potter about on and a big free weights section which is usually kept in fairly good nick apart from a few times recently when I've had to go looking for a dumbbell that ends up being at the other side of the room! I was in crunch UCD before so I'm used to that, but it still happens a lot less, you can't even compare it to crunch! most people are pretty good to put stuff back in the general area they found it!
    I have noticed a few parts on the cable machines broken for a week or two now though but they're usually quick to fix them! Oh, and people not using towels...but that belongs in the annoying gym behaviour thread....

The one thing that bugged the hell out of me today tho was all of the kids running around the pool and changing rooms! I've no problem with families coming to enjoy the facilities and they do cater for kids/families but this morning there was about 10 kids, boys and girls running around in the showers and changing rooms screaming and shouting.
    Like their fathers were just there not even paying attention to them chatting away or shaving or whatever, I was talking to a girl on the way out and she said it was the very same in the ladies changing rooms as well. A bit of respect from the parents in controlling their kids would go a long way! We all (over)pay good money to use the facilities and should be able to do so unhindered and without feeling uncomfortable changing with a bunch of kids around!
    ok, rant over...needed to let that out! Looks like I'll have to go back to going to the gym an hour before closing when it' quietest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BobbyJohn

Aren't parents wonderfully thoughtful. Its alomost like their attitude is 'I have to suffer - so why don't you have some'. To be fair though kids tend to run riot in all changing areas as soon as they are given the opportunity.
    I heard of one amusing story from Total Fitness Sandyford though. Two kids were playing around, parents oblivious to them, and one locked the other in the locker. Of course the keys etc for the locker were on the inside. Quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Am I the only one who likes TF:Sandyford???
    I agree decent gym some of the criticism a bit harsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 randomguy88

Anybody else get electric shocks every time they touch the railing around the stairs? I don't go near it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Joe09

Yep Me too,fecken drives me nuts. as never remember to keep away from them.

i have been a member since it opened, and in general its not to bad. the staff are friendly and the ladies changing room is much cleaner then it use to be. it is very busy this month, and have noticed people dont replace the dumbbells, there is notices up asking people to replace equipment. but it is falling on deaf ears. if everyone made an effort to replace equipment. bring sweat towels and have a bit more courtesy i think the gym in general would benifit.

I do have one or two issues which are I am a bit bothered about. the kids in the changing room, its not the kids as such its the parents not supervising them. letting them run wild. slamming cubicle doors, climbing into lockers. running on slippy surfaces.there mothers are grooming themselves in the mirror. I can only assume those parents allow there children to behave like this everywhere not just the gym.

also the 11-12 year old boys in the changing room with the mum:eek:

also kids on the gym floor after 7pm, left unattended while there parents go off & train. THIS REALLY Bugs me, the gym is not a creche. if anything were to happen to the kids who would be responsible. running around, picking up dumbbells. distrubing people while working out. this is a health and safety issue for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

hi there anybody a member of k leisure in naas.i would be interseted knowing what you think of it.i'm thinking of joining it or naas health & fitness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

cmyk wrote: »
    EZ bar bicep curl is the exercise of favour up there....leaving the squat racks empty for the majority of the time. Only ever see a small % of people squatting and DL'ing, so never have to wait long to use them, if at all.

Likewise in TF Castleknock..mind you sometimes people choose to curl in the squat rack for added bicep-awesomeness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

Degsy wrote: »
    Likewise in TF Castleknock..mind you sometimes people choose to curl in the squat rack for added bicep-awesomeness.

I've seen queues for the preacher curl bench in Sandyford! :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zym

Jackie Skelly's on Clarendon St very bad place to go.:mad::mad::mad:
    over charge:mad::mad::mad:
    locker not safe.well "you pay for what you got":mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

TF -malahide

although it does state 'malahide' its opposite darn dale hahah!

but other than that.. <3 it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

shakencat wrote: »
    TF -malahide

although it does state 'malahide' its opposite darn dale hahah!

but other than that.. <3 it

Well seen as it's listed as "Total Fitness Malahide Road Gym" on their webpage, and it's on the Malahide Road, I'd say they have the name spot on, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Danye

Anyone know any good gyms in the dublin 2/4 area? Im looking for somewhere that has a squat rack and proper weights etc. Im living near Grand Canal dock so close to there would be ideal but Ive looked and there doesnt seem to be much?

Is anyone a member in the Madron hotel? Ive heard there's a gym there but havent had much success finding out about it online. Can non students join the gym in Trinity?

Any help appreciated.

Give Raw a try, has what your looking for and is just off the canal on south richmond street.

http://www.rawcondition.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 grainnemurphy

Easy Rider wrote: »
    My membership in Northwood is up end of Jan and thinking of moving to somewhere else even though I live right next to Northwood gym I just find it over subscribed and crowded all the time, difficult to get a routine going, you can never find the weights you want either as people keep on taking them away, never put them back etc...

So anyone recommend anything in the area of Santry, preferably a pool also. Was looking at regency hotel on swords road but not sure if it is any good...?

I'm a member of the Regency. Mixed feelings! Ranted a bit on Yelp during the summer but also tried to give the good points http://www.yelp.ie/biz/regency-leisure-club-and-spa-dublin. A couple of weeks after joining they withdrew the complimentary towels and cut their weekend hours-two of the things they had pushed on the tour when I was looking around! Email to hotel manager was a waste of time-it was his decision and he had no interest in listening. Just forwarded it to the gym manager who could do nothing about it anyway.

Pros: Really really pleasant staff-address you by name! They smile and are friendly, chatty and helpful.
    They've put the weekend hours back up to 8-8pm now...hotel guests complained about them. (Members don't matter of course....)
    Recently added extra equipment-EZ bar/squat rack/heavier dumbbells/new medicine balls/extra benches....prior to that had Smith machine, cable machine and Kinesis wall (Technogym)
    Pool looks nice...haven't really used it!
    Rarely if ever would have to wait for cardio equipment

Cons: Small...feeling crowded at peak times at the moment with the January rush. It was even worse tonight because some camogie team had the place taken over doing circuits.

So....it annoys me at times but it's quite a friendly gym. I like that it's personal and it feels like it's "mine". I was a member of the Kingsley gym in Cork before and it had the same vibe....homely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Well seen as it's listed as "Total Fitness Malahide Road Gym" on their webpage, and it's on the Malahide Road, I'd say they have the name spot on, no?

Haaaaaaanley stop being a spa to me!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MushyMick

Looking for reviews of gyms in the Blanch/Clonee/Navan Road area. I was in Westpoint, and I've no interest in going back there.

So far my options are Total Fitness Castleknock on the roundabout, Informed Performance near Navan Road, (someone was telling me there's a public pool/gym on the Navan Road too, near enough to Ashington, anyone any info on that?) and someone pmed me about a Rosemount gym (sorry forget the real name!).

Info, prices etc.? Any good/bad experiences?

MushyMick wrote: »
    Looking for reviews of gyms in the Blanch/Clonee/Navan Road area. I was in Westpoint, and I've no interest in going back there.

So far my options are Total Fitness Castleknock on the roundabout, Informed Performance near Navan Road, (someone was telling me there's a public pool/gym on the Navan Road too, near enough to Ashington, anyone any info on that?) and someone pmed me about a Rosemount gym (sorry forget the real name!).

Info, prices etc.? Any good/bad experiences?

There's Universal Gym in Ballycoolin business park too, and Crunch Westmanstown. Total Fitness is probably the best in the area.

There's a St. Vincent's pool on the Navan Road, it's between where the Navan Road starts and the Phoneix Park Racecourse roundabout (the first one you hit).

I'd probably go with Total Fitness. There's reviews somewhere on this thread if you wanna search for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 damian.griffin

If you want a simple straight forward gym with all you need - Informed Performance in Glasnevin. People here know how to train and if they don't they are taught or they find the door slapping them in the back. Serious training

• Advertisement

If you want a simple straight forward gym with all you need - Informed Performance in Glasnevin. People here know how to train and if they don't they are taught or they find the door slapping them in the back. Serious training

Never heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Never heard of it.

Its Roper's place.

No frills training, impressive array of strength training equipment, more oly weights/bars and squat racks than I've seen anywhere else.

I've never trained in the place but I've no doubt for strength & conditioning it would beat TF in Blanch hands down.

But if you like hydro-therapy pools, swimming, steam/sauna/sanarium rooms, thread mills with Corrie or Skynews on then stick with TF.

Its Roper's place.

No frills training, impressive array of strength training equipment, more oly weights/bars and squat racks than I've seen anywhere else.

I've never trained in the place but I've no doubt for strength & conditioning it would beat TF in Blanch hands down.

But if you like hydro-therapy pools, swimming, steam/sauna/sanarium rooms, thread mills with Corrie or Skynews on then stick with TF.

Who's Roper?

I'm going to keep going with this until somebody realises I was being sarcastic.

Never heard of it.
    Who's Roper?

I'm going to keep going with this until somebody realises I was being sarcastic.

LOL, stupid me!.. I get you now!.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Thanks for the kind words about the gym Martin. It's difficult to set up a small business in Ireland as I'm sure you can appreciate so when people come out and give positive words of support it's nice to hear. I'm sure we get our fair share of flak in the moderators lounge for trying to promote good training and alert people to our services and I've been in touch with moderators about it on several occassions. But by and large people have been very understanding and I think that especially in our economic climate people understand that to be in competition with the likes of TF, JS etc. is extremely difficult and I think we're tolerated around here as we're generally helpful.

But then there's always the haters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 damian.griffin

if anyone out there just wants to get in and train hard then come over and join us. I have no commercial interest in the place - i simply train there and help people if i can. If your willing to train hard and take the physcological fun we're here

if anyone out there just wants to get in and train hard then come over and join us. I have no commercial interest in the place - i simply train there and help people if i can. If your willing to train hard and take the physcological fun we're here

Are you the guy from the Cillit Bang ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Does anyone know of any gyms within sth dublin(D2\6\4\12 kinda area) does pay-per visits or 1 month membership??

thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SwedishCat

im 24 f, and would really like to join a gym in the dublin 2 area

any tips?? what about fitness dock on camden street? just found their website online...

also, i have never been to a gym in my life i have NO IDEA how the machines work ete etc so i need someone to help me, where can i find a personal trainer??

help much appreciated!!

All the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

SwedishCat wrote: »
    any tips?? what about fitness dock on camden street? just found their website online...

also, i have never been to a gym in my life i have NO IDEA how the machines work ete etc so i need someone to help me, where can i find a personal trainer??

I was a member of fitness dock for 2 years, and am maybe lookin for joining it again.......for wat it has was enough for me and well worth it tbh

it depends wat u need a gym for as fitness dock has no swimming pool, go in and have a look and am sure they'll give u a 'free 1 session pass' (as would any gym would) so try it out and others around

if ur interested in joining then let me know we can take avail of the 2 for 1 price for full membership they have on atm (oh well they seem to always hav it......)

Advertisement