Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SwedishCat

smithslist wrote: »
    I was a member of fitness dock for 2 years, and am maybe lookin for joining it again.......for wat it has was enough for me and well worth it tbh

it depends wat u need a gym for as fitness dock has no swimming pool, go in and have a look and am sure they'll give u a 'free 1 session pass' (as would any gym would) so try it out and others around

if ur interested in joining then let me know we can take avail of the 2 for 1 price for full membership they have on atm (oh well they seem to always hav it......)

hi, thanks for your reply!

I emailed them before but i never reveived a reply prob better to go there and talk to them, hah
    im interested in both cardio and weights. going for runs almost everyday but never worked out in a gym before

Do you know anything about their membership prices? how much does it work out per month?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

SwedishCat wrote: »
    hi, thanks for your reply!

I emailed them before but i never reveived a reply prob better to go there and talk to them, hah
    im interested in both cardio and weights. going for runs almost everyday but never worked out in a gym before

Do you know anything about their membership prices? how much does it work out per month?

Thank you!

Yeah go in and hav a look around to see if u like d place.

they always hav specials as i said above, they hav a 2 for 1 atm which ends today but that offer wil begin again soon I'm sure as it seems to be always a special offer.

Prices not sure about as I always took benefit of the 2for1, but goin by there website they charge quite the same as other gyms and compare its facilities of no swimming pool, smaller gym area to other gyms I wuldnt recommend it at its full rate tbh - but thats just my opinion.

If ur confined to a certain area (D2) it doesn't help in ur decision making.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SwedishCat

smithslist wrote: »
    Yeah go in and hav a look around to see if u like d place.

they always hav specials as i said above, they hav a 2 for 1 atm which ends today but that offer wil begin again soon I'm sure as it seems to be always a special offer.

Prices not sure about as I always took benefit of the 2for1, but goin by there website they charge quite the same as other gyms and compare its facilities of no swimming pool, smaller gym area to other gyms I wuldnt recommend it at its full rate tbh - but thats just my opinion.

If ur confined to a certain area (D2) it doesn't help in ur decision making.....

2 for 1?? really that sounds almost too good to be true, is that if you sign up for a full year?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

SwedishCat wrote: »
    2 for 1?? really that sounds almost too good to be true, is that if you sign up for a full year?

yeap, and u can go gym any time, see link
    http://www.coralleisure.ie/our-clubs/the-fitness-dock/special-offers1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 VicVenom

I'm currently a member of Carlisle. My membership expires the end of the month.

I'm shopping about for a gym in the city centre, as I commute to Carlisle on a motorbike during my lunchtimes.

I had a trial in Raw Condition, Portobello recently and here's a very brief review.

PROS :
    For me, a really good location. I'm there in less than 5 minutes.

Lots of weights and a few benches.

It wasn't very busy the time I was there, so no queueing for anything.

Punch bag and other equipment that I wouldn't find in Carlisle.
    CONS :
    Shabby dressing rooms. Floors looked like they hadn't been swept/mopped in months.

Same with the showers. Grimey.

The website advertises a sauna. I went and had a look and it seems the sauna hasn't been turned on for a very, very long time. May as well have been a janitors cupboard!
    other slight concerns :
    A sight more expensive than Carlisle.

No pool, no sauna, no jacuzzi or steamroom.

Lots of dumbells, but they're all in the heavier rangeof the scale 40kg+ which is great, but not a massive amount from 12.5kg-27.5kg.

I may end up going with Raw due to the poor alternatives, but the grass isn't always greener.

• Advertisement

Carlisle
    current price e295 for 12months

PROS :

2 huge weight area's.

Plenty of benches, 3 squat racks, 2smith machines.

Big variety of dumbells(however they stop at 30kg)

Massive amount of cardio equipment, rowing machines, treadmills, cross country, bikes.

I have rarely if ever waited for any equipment either early morning or lunch-times, Mon-Sun. (beware evenings-see below!)

25metre pool, 2 steam rooms, 2 jacuzzi's and plenty of showers and lockers

VERY clean. People hoovering/mopping gym and changing rooms everytime I'm there.

Good price.
    CONS:
    The price. last year I joined with 2 people from this forum and got a discounted rate. I got no similar offer this time round when I asked. Also, just before the new year, the were saying renewal was cheaper if done in November, and from Jan, the price would be 300(renewal)-350(new members). They have obviously changed tact after trying to force people to renew early.

Evening useage. Is nearly not worth the hassle. I tried it once and there were long waits for nearly everything. Never again.

slight concerns:

That bloody carpark! Lots of space, but horrible ramps everywhere and a 1 way system, that make it safe and organised, but frustrating.

The distance for me to commute from work has become a chore. I get 40mins work-out time. Not the gyms fault obviously!

Popped in there today to have a look(Naughton Institute on Pearse street).
    It is opening up to the public in March for the same price as Raw Condition. e429.00

I haven't actually gotten to use the facilities yet, as it isn't open to the public until March at the earliest.
    A quick rundown though

PROS :
    25m pool, sauna, jacuzzi, steam room.

Use of climbing wall, indoor sports hall, etc.

Decent looking amount of machines and benches-similar enough to Raw Condition. Not as many dumbells though.

Looked very clean.

The pool seemed quiet enough.

CONS :
    Fairly busy at lunch time today, and I was told it would only get busier over the next hour. I drive past it every evening and it looks very full then too. Lunch time is the busiest part of the day, apparently.

Not a huge amount of cardio equipment.

slight concerns :
    You can look out onto Pearse street and visa versa from the weights/cardio area. This may be an issue for some?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Bridgefoot street gym

Smallish gym, dumbbells up to 40kg, bench, inclined bench, squat rack, kettle bells, punch bags, boxing ring, medicine balls.
    €220 for year

Pros:
    Never too busy, fair price, personally only a stroll away. And my personal favourite - no TV's on the walls

Cons:
    No pool, jacuzzi, steam room. Male changing room could do with a bench.
    No smith machine.

If you want somewhere to do weights and dont care about all the frills its worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

FYP :D

Bridgefoot street gym

Smallish gym, dumbbells up to 40kg, bench, inclined bench, squat rack, kettle bells, punch bags, boxing ring, medicine balls.
    €220 for year

Pros:
    Never too busy, fair price, personally only a stroll away. And my personal favourite - no TV's on the walls
    No smith machine.

Cons:
    No pool, jacuzzi, steam room. Male changing room could do with a bench.

If you want somewhere to do weights and dont care about all the frills its worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

did anyone ,who is a member in carlisle at the kcr , notice that some staff are really rude?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Anyone here any experience with the gym in the Raddision in Limerick (ennis road)? i.e is it clean, standard of equiment/weights etc

I'm in the strand at the moment but its gone downhill as of late, cleanliness leaves alot to be desired and is always far too busy now

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Anyone got any review of One Escape in Smithfield, it looks pretty good??Any info appreciated... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Anyone got any review of One Escape in Smithfield, it looks pretty good??Any info appreciated... :)

I was a member for 2 years - have to say the staff were always reallly really helpful and I loved it there. Classes are really good. Always really clean and never overly busy. I used to go at lunchtime and after work c.6pm onwards and never had any trouble waiting on machines etc. Pool area is always pretty quiet, sauna/steam room always clean and never over-crowded.

Not sure about weights/facilities as I didn't really venture in there as much as I should have!!

When I was made redundant I went into them to cancel my membership and they were so nice. They said no problem at all and made sure it was cancelled with the bank asap so that I wouldn't end up paying another penny :) That's fair enough. Normally I think it's 3 months notice.

So ya. Great gym! Any questions - ask!

Thanks for the review Cork girl, yeah looking for somewhere like that, if it was would be worth the extra monies, is there much difference between off peak and peak membership??? I live fairly close on luas line...TBH its the pool and classes I'm looking for, want to get to back to doing some weights as well, just been doing pushups and old fashioned stuff!! :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Thanks for the review Cork girl, yeah looking for somewhere like that, if it was would be worth the extra monies, is there much difference between off peak and peak membership??? I live fairly close on luas line...TBH its the pool and classes I'm looking for, want to get to back to doing some weights as well, just been doing pushups and old fashioned stuff!! :-)

I just had a tour of OneEscape. I did not use my free trial session yet, but from first impressions the weights area is okay, but nothing special.

Well I don't know what they are charging at the moment, but there are tons of classes that were of interest to me, particularly the boxercise and the spinning but also the hydrorider and others. The instructors were always really motivating and pushed you hard. There are classes early in the morning and at lunchtime.. I'm sure the timetable is actually on the site for download so you could check and see if that would suit you.

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Well I don't know what they are charging at the moment, but there are tons of classes that were of interest to me, particularly the boxercise and the spinning but also the hydrorider and others. The instructors were always really motivating and pushed you hard. There are classes early in the morning and at lunchtime.. I'm sure the timetable is actually on the site for download so you could check and see if that would suit you.

Thanks Cork Girl, I have the timetable, is there much difference in memberships, off peak , peak etc?

Thanks Cork Girl, I have the timetable, is there much difference in memberships, off peak , peak etc?

No idea I'm afraid. Give them a call! If you have a friend joining with you it makes a little bit of a difference afaik!

Cork_girl wrote: »
    No idea I'm afraid. Give them a call! If you have a friend joining with you it makes a little bit of a difference afaik!

Cheers, thanks called them, have my "consultation" meeting later this week, thanks again :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭philipm

Yesterday at 3pm I had my car broken into in the car park. The locks were pulled off and they opened doors. One other exact model of car was broken into aswell.

Be careful with leaving any valuables in your car even your boot or under your seat:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

philipm wrote: »
    Yesterday at 3pm I had my car broken into in the car park. The locks were pulled off and they opened doors. One other exact model of car was broken into aswell.

Be careful with leaving any valuables in your car even your boot or under your seat:mad:

I'm a member there too.
    It's a hotspot for car break in's, needless to say leave nothing on view in your car up there.
    Things have been known to go missing in the lockers up there from time to time. It amazes me that I still go up there and find lockers without locks on them stuffed with peoples belongings.

Also I would advise people not to leave their shoes out the ground when they are in the pool area or showers as they will walk themselves out of the changing rooms while you're gone.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Shoreline up in Bray..

Pretty damn good..

Busy during week afternoons but still accessable.

Good gear.

Good staff.

Affordable.

Love the sauna and steam room!

Rating 9/10

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I live in Dublin 15 and would like to join a gym (again:o). I currently do Bootcamap once (sometimes twice) per week, boxercise, body conditioning and boxfit which I really love. I am also trainng for a 10km run and run 3 to 4 times per week. However, I am spending an absolute fortune on these classes (€140.00 every four weeks) and need to find a way to still do classes I enjoy but not spend as much money.

I went to the National Aquatic Centre to check out their gym and memberhip costs. For €42.00 per month I can use the gym, pool and access all classes for free (except pilates and yoga) and some of these classes include boxercise, rock hard abs and spinning (which I've never tried but would like to). However I was surprised at how small the gym was but if its not really hecticly busy then this shouldn't be a problem.
    I called Total Fitness at Castleknock and their membership costs €55.00 (I think, may have been €53 can't really remember) for 14 months and as with the NAC includes pool, classes except yoga and pilates. However, their gym is bigger.
    Which of the two would people advise I join?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

philipm wrote: »

sorry to hear that, i am a member up there since Jan and i thought it was very safe in the car park. I have noticed in the last week a security guard patrolling the car park so hopefully that stops any further break ins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭philipm

Thats is great to hear as I really enjoy the gym, it was the second car I had broken into at TF. So the re instatement of the security will save TF alot of negative press online!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Was thinking of joining carlisle..........it's at the bottom of my road so i could be there in 3 mins if i wanted.
    One earlier poster said it's hectic in the evenings.
    Is this the case after 8 p.m as by the time i get in from work, fed and kids bathed and to bed this is my realistic going time.
    Also what time does it stay open too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I was thinking of joining Carlisle Gym. Is there that much of a problem using the benchpress, squats bars and dumbbell bars during peek hours, like 6-7pm? Like how long would you be waiting?

Also somebody told me that they are taking out the swimming pool and putting more equipment there, is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 girlz

Has anyone tried MiGym in Swords?
    If so what did you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Good gym, excellent equipment including squat rack and plenty of free weights. Nice showers and a sauna with a timer (so you can relax with an idea of how long you are there.)

The downside is that it is pretty small for the amount of stuff in it. At busy times, there's a feeling that you are lifting on top of everyone else. If you are not stuck with lifting at peak times, then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 girlz

EileenG wrote: »
    Good gym, excellent equipment including squat rack and plenty of free weights. Nice showers and a sauna with a timer (so you can relax with an idea of how long you are there.)

The downside is that it is pretty small for the amount of stuff in it. At busy times, there's a feeling that you are lifting on top of everyone else. If you are not stuck with lifting at peak times, then go for it.
    That sounds good.
    Thanks EileenG

Advertisement