Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jade24

Any genuine opinions on Ben dunne Lucan? I.e. not a be employee like the previous posts. Had a quick look last night, nothing fancy, just the gym without the extras, but it is dirt cheap. Any problems with the place?

my sis is a member of this gym and i have gone with her loads of times and i find it great, there is 2 or 3 of most machines and machines are all top quality and new, its dead at the weekends too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 indigo751

Tim dublin wrote: »
    hay what about the one in terenure, up at the KCR, the carslile i think its called!!??:( :(:(

it cheap but the only good thing in that gym is the woman who does the sports massage :). the rest is crap thats why im Never going back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

So East Coast Barbell has opened in Bray and it's AWESOME :D Seriously though, I haven't been this excited about a venue in a long time - it's fantastic. Four squat racks, three platforms, Werksan training sets on the way, DBs up to... um.... 60kg I think? A matted prehab warm-up area with pletny of bands and medicine balls for even the most rickety of bodies and all housed in a warehouse. email them at: eastcoastbarbell@gmail.com

And here it is, in all its glory...

Oh and you'll see guys like this training/ working there too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi g'em

ECB looks good. Pity it's on the wrong side of the city for me :(

Don't suppose they would like to open an East Coast, Northside Barbell :D:D:D

M

B-Builder wrote: »

Don't suppose they would like to open an East Coast, Northside Barbell :D:D:D

Probably not, that's Hercs territory :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Maybe they could organise some introductory olympic lifting seminars for MEN. I'd pay to go.

Maybe they could organise some introductory olympic lifting seminars for MEN. I'd pay to go.

Is there a significance to 'men" being in capitals?? :confused: It's something we're talking about in the IAWLA at the moment :) the problem with oly lifting is that it really isn't something you can teach in a day or even a week, even just to get the basics right you need to have someone watching you for a while. You also need to have the right equipment - very few gyms have platforms you can dump bars onto as well as the bars that withstand dumping :p But as we get more gyms with proper weightlifting platforms installed and more coaches trained up the a sufficient level hopefully there'll be more opportunities for people to learn about it. I'm only to happy to introductory sessions - getting a venue to do it is the problem.

I'll talk to the guys about running an ongoing beginners class as opposed to a seminar - that could be a workable project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone ever been to Monkstown (Blue Pool)?
    was thinking of joining because it's the only one within a short walk of where I live (if it was one alot further afield I'd find myself using that as an excuse not to go so often)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

anyone ever been to Monkstown (Blue Pool)?
    was thinking of joining because it's the only one within a short walk of where I live (if it was one alot further afield I'd find myself using that as an excuse not to go so often)

Yes.
    Its clean and has lots of cardio stuff and machines.
    Not great for free weights equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Yes.
    Its clean and has lots of cardio stuff and machines.
    Not great for free weights equipment.

thanks, sounds good
    I'd probably be mostly using the cardios anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Calraigh B

Has anyone been to the NAC in Dublin 15 lately? Went for a tour there on Tuesday and was really impressed. I didn't even know they had a gym!
    Anyone here a member? The machines are all excellent, brand new, it's air conditioned, the showers and changing rooms are great and the pool is incredible. I'm not too knowledgeable about weights etc. but there were a few extremely (ahem ) well built guys spotting each other in the weights area and while it wasn't anywhere near Westpoint size, it seemed a reasonable size to me. The vibe in it just seems lovely to me- it's not in any way crowded and there's no Total Fitness/ Westpoint roid head/poseur types hanging out.

Anyone here a member? I'd love to hear some firsthand accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LOLA08

I rang T/F as the price for joining the branch in malahide is cheaper then the branch in sandyford. by €50. I asked am i allowed use T/F in S/F if i join the branch in malahide. he said yes i can use any T/F I want,
    once you are a member of one you are a member of them all. He said the reason it is more expenisve in S/F is because it's a Premier club.

This does not sound right to me, I can drive out to malahide join there and use my membership in Sandyford. saving myself €50.

Also €545 for T/F in S/F is a ripe off, has anyone got the price cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

I paid €450 last year in Sandyford.

You wouldn't have to drive out to Malahide as you can do it online.

Also I've heard that if you join in England you can use the Irish clubs. £295 (€360)

Always haggle with them.

that is unbeliveable, the difference in price between Irl & the UK. & you can join online in the UK too. i tried to haggle & i was told they were not going to reduce the price, i said even in the current climate & i was going to pay cash, and still no. I mean point blank no.

it would be worth my while getting a Ryanair €1 flight to the UK and joining a T/F Club and come back the same day, i'd still be saving money.

found this in there terms & conditions section.

18. A member's chosen club must be their primary centre of use. We reserve the right to change fees accordingly should a member's site of use change.

Always a catch

What I did when I was joining was bluff a little bit.

I rang and asked the price for the year and they said something like €600 and I "bluffed" and said I heard it was a lot cheaper.
    The sales guy said no that's the price but when pushed he said they do specials from time to time.
    I asked how much was the last special to which he said €450. I then asked when the next offer was coming up as I'd wait till then to join? He said no more where due as they had filled their quoata.
    I chanced my arm and said I'll drive up now and give you €450 for the year. He said he'd have to check with head office. 30mins later I got a call and about an hour after that I had a year membership for €450.

It might have been easier for me to haggle as I've worked in gyms and was also happy to walk away if I didn't get the price I wanted.

Sorry for this post being a bit long winded but I hope it helps.

I offered the guy €450 up front cash there and then. he said nope no way was he going to reduce the price, said if i had a problem with the price i had to go directely to head office.

I said i may not join now as the price was a bit much, and will shop around. he said thats your choice you can do what you like.:eek:

some sales staff

i may wait and see if there are any specials coming up, and if not will go up again to a different sales staff and one that who is willing to see if they can reduce the price or even find out. i was willing to part with that kind of money there and then, pretty shocked he would not even consider or even try find out if he could get it reduced.

LOLA08 wrote: »
    I offered the guy €450 up front cash there and then. he said nope no way was he going to reduce the price, said if i had a problem with the price i had to go directely to head office.

I said i may not join now as the price was a bit much, and will shop around. he said thats your choice you can do what you like.:eek:

some sales staff

i may wait and see if there are any specials coming up, and if not will go up again to a different sales staff and one that who is willing to see if they can reduce the price or even find out. i was willing to part with that kind of money there and then, pretty shocked he would not even consider or even try find out if he could get it reduced.

Middle of the month is not the best time to go. Most sales staff work on commission and it gets paid at the end of the month. They are generally more helpful at this time because they need to either meet their quota or get more money the more that join.

Say your friend got it for €450 after the sales guy rang head office. Also subtlety remind him about his commission. PM me and I’ll give you my name (as your friend who paid €450) if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Cant remember the name of it but the entrance is opposite Chadwicks on the trim road.

Compared to anything else in Navan its feckin huge! Loads of cardio equipment (machines have built in TV's)

Weights area is very impressive as well, loads and loads of free weights and machines.

Price aint too shabby either €175 for 6 months or €300 for the year.

I'll be joinin! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Maybe TF S/F is dearer because they have working equipment, unlike TF Coolock, where everything is falling to pieces.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Maybe TF S/F is dearer because they have working equipment, unlike TF Coolock, where everything is falling to pieces.

Nate

I've been using TF Blanch more recently, and I swear to dear Jesus and all the prophets the shower's are filthy, worse from afternoon on Friday through the weekend - I get the impression the place is run with a skeleton staff during that period.

On a recent visit after I showered I returned home and showered again.

The hydro-therapy pool has been very cold there too.

Other than that the equipment is mostly fine. The free weights area is very busy, but the lads appear to have more respect for the place & other user's than the guys in TF Malahide Rd. But then again, there are serious lads training in Blanch - pretty much like Malahide was ten years ago.

But God damn those shower's :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

GSOIRL wrote: »
    Middle of the month is not the best time to go. Most sales staff work on commission and it gets paid at the end of the month. They are generally more helpful at this time because they need to either meet their quota or get more money the more that join.

Say your friend got it for €450 after the sales guy rang head office. Also subtlety remind him about his commission. PM me and I’ll give you my name (as your friend who paid €450) if you want.

Ditto here, I got it for €450 last year as well, in fairness the sales guy was sound he said one of his mates was looking to join and and he'd give me his referral number so we both got it for €450 instead of €545 or whatever it was at the time...PM me if you want the sales guys name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭mkahnisbent

Getting very tired of Citywest gym... the place is filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hoins

Ravenswell opened in replacement of peak in bray, you can pay cash for one month. Alot of free weights great gym for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Searched the thread for the Ennis Leisure Complex operated by the Town Council but couldn't find one...

Took a 6 month membership in January, student rate was just over €200 (non-student was over €300, but there were plenty of special offers from time to time). Membership also included use of the 25m pool and steam rooms, and a training assessment and programme could be drawn up if you so wished free of charge.

The gym has plenty of treadmills, bikes, rowing machines, cross-trainers and hill-walkers, you'd rarely if ever be stuck for a cardio machine. All the weights machines are in good nick. It has more or less all the weights machines you'd need or find in your average gym. The place could do with a bench or two more, along with some more bars and loose weights, but they are constrained somewhat by the floor space in the gym. More dumbells are probably needed as well.

At peak times (after 5 til about 7, half 7) it can get very crowded, but there are enough usually machines to go around.

The changing rooms (gym and pool) and steam rooms are kept very clean. People who use the facilities here have a habit of being tidy, a welcome change! :)

Lastly, the staff in general are very personable, friendly and helpful. Anything I asked about or needed help with, they couldn't do enough for me.

Info about the place can be found here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 pow222

in Carlise myself... Find the place clean, machines good, can get a bit busy at times but for the price it's hard to beat...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TheManDude

Hi

Just wondering if any one here is a member of this gym?

I am thinking of joining in and would like to know peoples opinions of it? Is there a lot of machines there? Does it get very busy? Is there a lot of weight machines there?

Thanks a mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Anyone have any experience with Raw over in Portobello?

Was looking at joining a new gym and considering how close it is to my job, it'd be quite handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Poccington wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with Raw over in Portobello?

Was looking at joining a new gym and considering how close it is to my job, it'd be quite handy.

Amazing gym. Amongst the best I've been in. I'd be there in a second if it was more convenient for me.

• Advertisement

+1 It's a really, really great gym - everything you could want is there, staff are bang on, atmosphere is great, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Advertisement