Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

g'em wrote: »
    +1 It's a really, really great gym - everything you could want is there, staff are bang on, atmosphere is great, I'd recommend it to anyone.

+1 this sentiment! Was only in it once, great vibe in the place and the staff are well sound. Hoping to take up membership there myself at some point soon depending on a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

How much is Raw per year?
    Is it busy early morning or at lunchtime?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

Hi,

Moving next month to a new place and I will have to join a new gym . The one that is close by is total fitness on the malahide road. Any one a member ? whats it like ? is it clean ? is it jammed ?

I am not big into weights, I will mostly be using the treadmills and cardio machines and swimming pool.

Any opinions would help ?. They are asking for €495 membership for teh whole year but i reckon I can get a better price off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

greenplain wrote: »
    Hi,

Moving next month to a new place and I will have to join a new gym . The one that is close by is total fitness on the malahide road. Any one a member ? whats it like ? is it clean ? is it jammed ?

I am not big into weights, I will mostly be using the treadmills and cardio machines and swimming pool.

Any opinions would help ?. They are asking for €495 membership for teh whole year but i reckon I can get a better price off them.

You should be able to get a better price, just haggle a bit. As for the Gym it is generally clean. It does get busy at peak times, but never that busy that you have to wait more than a minute or two to get equipment you want to use. As for the cardio machines and treadmills, about 1/3 are out of action or malfunction in some way at any given time. They used to be good a fixing equipment, now they just don't bother.

The weight section is well equipped, but the denizens of the weight area leave stuff everywhere. I don't use the Pool myself, but it is generally well regarded from what I hear. Also there are many classes (spinning etc.) that are also well regarded, but again, I don't use them.

Tell them you are thinking of joining and ask for a free day pass, to get a feel for the place.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jc_eire

Anybody a member in Crunch Fitness Dun Laoighre and can give me a rough idea of the annual membership fee. Rang there and got the usual spiel "we dont discuss prices over the phone, come in for an appointment" :mad: No!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Yeah, they do that I'm told.
    I rang ages ago & they weren't too helpful.
    It has a reputation for being pricey though.

I'd never go, the rugby D4 crowd scare the bejaysus out of me!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

It's 65 a month if on a contract, plus some "joining fee" the amount of which seems to be purely a function of your sales rep's judgement of your ability/willingness to pay. Sometimes it's even waved completely I have heard. If you do the tour and leave your number they will keep calling you once a day improving the offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Traffic wrote: »
    Herberton Leisure @ Jame's Walk

Anyone a member of it or has anyone heard any reports on it?

Do NOT join it. Do NOT join....

desperate.

Won't be renewing membership when it lapses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

a reason why not to join would be nice:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

+1 this sentiment! Was only in it once, great vibe in the place and the staff are well sound. Hoping to take up membership there myself at some point soon depending on a few things.

how much for the year guys ??
    Im in westpark tallaght which is very good and clean for 450 a year
    but i want somewhere closer,
    is there a big pool ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Calraigh B

LOLA08 wrote: »
    I rang T/F as the price for joining the branch in malahide is cheaper then the branch in sandyford. by €50. I asked am i allowed use T/F in S/F if i join the branch in malahide. he said yes i can use any T/F I want,
    once you are a member of one you are a member of them all. He said the reason it is more expenisve in S/F is because it's a Premier club.

This does not sound right to me, I can drive out to malahide join there and use my membership in Sandyford. saving myself €50.

Also €545 for T/F in S/F is a ripe off, has anyone got the price cheaper

Just wanted to ask again? I'm dying to join but I really wanna know what the craic is on a day to day basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LOLA08

it depends on what time you will be using the gym, after 5pm it can get busy. but in saying that there is still plenty of machines to go around. the classes are good and they have new spinning bikes which are excellent. the gym instructors are pleasant, althought i do not have much dealing with them re: having a program as i do my own thing.

all in all its a good enough gym, plenty of space, classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Would anyone happen to have used the NRG Bohermore branch in Galway recently? Any threads appearing in the search are a couple of years old now.

I'm particularly interested in knowing how helpful the trainers are with regards to beginners?

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

I went into the one in Temple Bar today, after the tour they said it was E450 for Student membership or else 50 a month with a joining price of 50. Not really sure about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

The gym is absolutley powerlifter friendly, we have olympic bars that can take a 1500lb load, in excess of 1500kg of plates, a huge free weights area with rubber floors, heavy duty gun-racks, two full sets of dumbbells up to 70kg and there will be a deadlifting platform going in. There will also be tyres for flipping, as well as sandbags, chains, resistance bands etc.

Bring your chalk!

im joining pretty soon coz im in dit...gud discount for students.dyas have showers????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭COH

alexsmith wrote: »
    im joining pretty soon coz im in dit...gud discount for students.dyas have showers????

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Can someone please part with the big secret of how much crunchfitness in Tallaght is to join. They were handing out leaftets left right and centre in college the other day but none had joining fees etc listed. Apparently the only way they will give this info is if you talk to a membership adviser. Crazy.

that is crazy,i'm in westpark in tallaght and i have to say its a first class gym,450 a year and you can pay in three 150 installments,really clean and well managed,pool sauna steam room ect

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ROBBO7

Hi am working in the area and was thinking of joing green isle fitness club? Anyone got any feedback? Am a complete rookie to this stuff but did go down there and it was quiet(around lunchtime). Place looked clean enough not sparkling but ok. Any replies greatly appreciated. thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 libs

been in jackie skellys for years looking for something new and shopping for prices.. in fairness to JS not all branches the same city centre deffo worst but it has recently changed hands so may see some improvement..at this sage be whoever gives me best price!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

I'd just like to say that the staff in Crunch Premier Tallaght are a disgrace to customer service.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Anybody know anything about Unique Physique in Kilbarrack Shopping Centre, D13? Probably gonna give Total Fitness the two fingers when I'm up for renewal, this place looks OK.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kilbarrack-Ireland/Unique-Physique/237697835658

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anybody know anything about Unique Physique in Kilbarrack Shopping Centre, D13? Probably gonna give Total Fitness the two fingers when I'm up for renewal, this place looks OK.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kilbarrack-Ireland/Unique-Physique/237697835658

Nate

Most of their equipment was bought secondhand from TF, but the two guys running it, Larry Murphy and Lenny Delaney are sound. Know their stuff.

Lenny ran Unique in Moore Street for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

the two guys running it, Larry Murphy and Lenny Delaney are sound. Know their stuff.
    Larry Murphy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rycn wrote: »
    Larry Murphy?

lol... Woops!.

Lenny!... Defo Lenny!.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Roger Marbles

Kingfisher NUI Galway

Joined one year ago and can't wait to leave tbh. Thinks I dislike about the gym:

* small weights area that is a mess and ridiculously overcrowded at peak times
    * too many treadmills and crossfit trainers that don't even work properly
    * terrible gym music...one day it stopped working which was heaven..
    * water fountains that don't work or work sporadically
    * instructors that obviously have no idea what they are doing by the machines they advise girls to use for "weights"
    * multiple tv screens with sky news on mute...how about some sport?
    * male changing rooms that are closed and only being able to use the team dressing rooms
    * kids in the pool all the time leading to lanes being reduced
    * members being asked to change elsewhere when competitions are on
    * poor parking
    * staff that continuously phone you to renew your subscription at a ridiculous price

Very negative view but I feel they are just looking to make as much money as possible and don't put any effort in to where it really matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tem

heard there was a new urban fitness studio opening near pearse street. Has anyone heard about it, they are offering circuit classes on a walk in basis, great fitness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ellers

Anyone know anything about this gym. Am thinking of joining. I went for a trial but don't really know enough about Gyms to make a judgement. It seems small but to my eye has lots of equipment that looks good. Its a little pricey compared to deals with big gyms like Northwood. Is it worth joining a local gym which might acutally mean I go instead of 'planning' to go but never making it!!!
    Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Kingfisher NUI Galway

Joined one year ago and can't wait to leave tbh. Thinks I dislike about the gym:

* small weights area that is a mess and ridiculously overcrowded at peak times
    * too many treadmills and crossfit trainers that don't even work properly
    * terrible gym music...one day it stopped working which was heaven..
    * water fountains that don't work or work sporadically
    * instructors that obviously have no idea what they are doing by the machines they advise girls to use for "weights"
    * multiple tv screens with sky news on mute...how about some sport?
    * male changing rooms that are closed and only being able to use the team dressing rooms
    * kids in the pool all the time leading to lanes being reduced
    * members being asked to change elsewhere when competitions are on
    * poor parking
    * staff that continuously phone you to renew your subscription at a ridiculous price

Very negative view but I feel they are just looking to make as much money as possible and don't put any effort in to where it really matters.

Same problems with a different kingfisher club,there only care about the money

• Registered Users Posts: 2 teruyl

Hi

Reading through the previous pages with lots of great advice etc, from a city centre perspective Raw seems to come out on tops. How much is membership?

Also, how busy is it in the evenings and on weekends?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hey
    I'm looking for a gym to join, a few requirements.

Location: Either near Blackrock village or between there and Fairview (my route home would be via east link)

Opening hours: I'd only be using the gym weekdays after 8 pm, but would never start a workout after 9.30.

Equipment: Free weights, power racks/squat racks etc. A pool/sauna would be nice but not essential.

Another thing is that in January I will be out of Ireland for 3 months, so a short contract would be necessary, that or a six month one with those three months suspended.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Advertisement