Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Looking for a gym in the city centre for the winter - having paid a brief visit to the weather forum, it looks like I'll be needing somewhere warm and dry for some of my Barcelona Marathon training! :eek::pac:

Preferably Dublin 2, I work close to Merrion Square, and preferably not too expensive.

Would RAW not be your best bet so? Probably is the closest to you at any rate? They have a direct debit option which could work out for you if you don't want to have to pay a lump up front?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭SpookyBastard

Hi guys,

It looks like I'll be moving to Scotland at the start of next year. Just wondering if any of you have trained (or have mates who have) over in Edinburgh and can recommend any good gyms over there? I've heard good things about the gym at Edinburgh University and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Malteaser1980

I want to get fit and am looking for advice on finding a good reasonably priced gym in Dublin city centre that will motivate a beginner into getting fit again. I work on Parnell St so a gym close to work would be handiest.
    I tried curves (lasted about 2 weeks), as they promised a personal trainer style approach but found that after they had signed you up they don't care if you turn up or what you do when you are there and the machines offer little to no resistance. I also used to be a member of Crunch Premier in Templebar (for about 2 years) but again found the staff not very helpful and after the first year stopped seeing any results even though I was still going about 4 times a week. Any advice or reccomendations would be really helpful.pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I want to get fit and am looking for advice on finding a good reasonably priced gym in Dublin city centre that will motivate a beginner into getting fit again. I work on Parnell St so a gym close to work would be handiest.
    I tried curves (lasted about 2 weeks), as they promised a personal trainer style approach but found that after they had signed you up they don't care if you turn up or what you do when you are there and the machines offer little to no resistance. I also used to be a member of Crunch Premier in Templebar (for about 2 years) but again found the staff not very helpful and after the first year stopped seeing any results even though I was still going about 4 times a week. Any advice or reccomendations would be really helpful.pacman.gif

there is a ben dunne gym just around the corner from you. so nice and local.

have a look here to see if any one else i looking to join up at the same time and save a few euro
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055280151

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

Does anyone know what Herberton is like lately? Heard it was good but that there are a couple of things that have been broken for the past few months that haven't been fixed. Looking to take up the weights to build a bit of muscle for some sea swimming in the summer, anyone any recommendations for the Dublin 8/city centre area? Preferably with a decent pool...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

joined back westwood in clontarf, just for handiness,avoid it if you like to train with free weights!!! fcuking joke, hlf of them seem to of disappeared, spent about 20 mins looking for weights when i was told they were broken, for 75 euro that is a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Was just in West Park or West Side or West something in Tallaght...

The annual price they gave me was 550! That is crazy expensive nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭SpookyBastard

It's an okay gym I guess, just a shame that there's only one squat rack and one flat barbell bench... unless of course you like the smith machine... emmm... no ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

Went for a free look around and trial of Iveagh Fitness in Christchurch today. The pool is only 15 metres, which is really really small if you want to work on your swimming. Seemed to have a decent weights area and lots of running machines. However the price is still in Celtic Tiger mode, with a €250 joining fee (waived if you had signed up for texts off them previously) and €70 a month thereafter for an adult and €50 a month if you're a student/OAP. I mean, I left the NAC last year because I thought €44 a month was too expensive for a brand new gym and a 50m pool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Love this Gym, has everything I need, staff are very helpful and always willing to have a chat about your programme or fitness..

Only thing is the car park outside, too many vehicles broken into over the last few weeks, so watch out folks! My vehicle was hit tonight:(.

Other than that, its fantastic..

• Advertisement

one2one wrote: »
    Love this Gym, has everything I need, staff are very helpful and always willing to have a chat about your programme or fitness..

Only thing is the car park outside, too many vehicles broken into over the last few weeks, so watch out folks! My vehicle was hit tonight:(.

Other than that, its fantastic..

Considering their price they should definitely have a security present, atleast in Winter time.

And the gym itself is cramped together IMO.

But some hot girls there for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Considering their price they should definitely have a security present, atleast in Winter time.

And the gym itself is cramped together IMO.

But some hot girls there for sure.

I'm not about know but last year they had security guy in car park.
    I think new membership is actually 450 euros a year in one go,you can reduce that to 400 if someone who you know is a member of Westpark and has vouchers from the last year(every member should get one)

there is a few reasons why I like the the gym

- it's not overcrowded(I do my workouts in the morning)
    - boxing ring ( real stress reliever:pac:)
    -i'ts clean
    -and of course hot girls!!!:pac:

the only thing i can't still understand why some older men in changing room
    have this very strange habit of blowing dry their testicles!!!:eek:.Never saw that in smaller gyms before.

I'm not about know but last year they had security guy in car park.
    I think new membership is actually 450 euros a year in one go,you can reduce that to 400 if someone who you know is a member of Westpark and has vouchers from the last year(every member should get one)

-i'ts clean

the only thing i can't still understand why some older men in changing room
    have this very strange habit of blowing dry their testicles!!!:eek:.Never saw that in smaller gyms before.

I remember somebody mentioning here that they paid around 450-400 too that's why it struck me as a surprise that I was quoted 550. I even asked if that was the last price and she would not budge... should've talked to a guy salesman instead maybe?

BTW, Jarecki is there a studio where one could warm up in there? noticed one big studio where the treadmills are but the saleswoman told me it's constantly full with classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

The saleswoman is clearly wrong,I have been doing circuits in the studio for the last couple of months and I'm always on my own (I reckon the trick is just to get there early enough)
    The studio looks like this http://www.westpark.ie/images/gallery/lookinside_09.jpg
    For the warm up you should have plenty of space in that gym,depending obviously on off/on peak hours.

use their Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/west.park to post any questions you may have

Regards

J

Thanks Jarecki!

Maybe I'll give them another try.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lipi

Sacred_git wrote: »
    joined back westwood in clontarf, just for handiness,avoid it if you like to train with free weights!!! fcuking joke, hlf of them seem to of disappeared, spent about 20 mins looking for weights when i was told they were broken, for 75 euro that is a joke!

I'm leaving Westwood Clontarf for this very reason.

Have been a member almost 2 years and the service is awful. Staff on the floor are too busy chatting each other up to assist members or tidy the floor. You can never find weights in their rightful place.

They really seem to push people to use the personal trainers and I think for €75 a month the staff should be giving some level of service.

And what is the deal with the lack of air con :mad: It's some rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

-i'ts clean

Unless of course you want to deadlift and progress to lifting serious amounts of weight upstairs...
    You'll then be told that you can not lift heavy in future as the flooring upstairs was not designed to take weight over 200kg...

The manager will then advise you to never touch the floor with the deadlift, showing you the "correct" way to lift...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Did he do this to VIS VIRES? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Looking for a bit of advise here lads. I was in Ben Dunne's Gym in Jervis and it looks handy didn't walk around or anything but it looks like what I need, no swimming pool needed and I don't like having to pay for it when I can't use it.

But has anybody been to it and used it?
    Got quoted 170 quid for a 12 month single membership, which I thought was good, but do I have to pay everytime I go there or whatever or is it 170 and you are free to do whatever?

Basically just looking for advise from a total noob :D Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advise here lads. I was in Ben Dunne's Gym in Jervis and it looks handy didn't walk around or anything but it looks like what I need, no swimming pool needed and I don't like having to pay for it when I can't use it.

But has anybody been to it and used it?
    Got quoted 170 quid for a 12 month single membership, which I thought was good, but do I have to pay everytime I go there or whatever or is it 170 and you are free to do whatever?

Basically just looking for advise from a total noob :D Thanks.

Joined Ben Dunne on Jan 4th so this will be my third week. I like it...a lot! Its an in and out kinda gym. I have been there most evenings around 4.30 to 6 and while busy I have yet to have to wait for anything. I went one morning for the 7 a.a. open and it was nice and quiet.

I moved from the Iveagh where it was €65 a month to here for a FULL year for €170. So far so good, can come and use the gym aytime I want and not bothered about no sauna\steam and pool at all.

Most people are friendly but its not a sociable as the Iveagh.

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

madmoe wrote: »
    Joined Ben Dunne on Jan 4th so this will be my third week. I like it...a lot! Its an in and out kinda gym. I have been there most evenings around 4.30 to 6 and while busy I have yet to have to wait for anything. I went one morning for the 7 a.a. open and it was nice and quiet.

I moved from the Iveagh where it was €65 a month to here for a FULL year for €170. So far so good, can come and use the gym aytime I want and not bothered about no sauna\steam and pool at all.

Most people are friendly but its not a sociable as the Iveagh.

Cheers,
    M
    Ah nice one thanks. I am not worried about people :D. Good to know that it is alright anyway. Is 170 and you just go in, you don't have to pay a fiver or a tenner or whatever everytime you go do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Ah nice one thanks. I am not worried about people :D. Good to know that it is alright anyway. Is 170 and you just go in, you don't have to pay a fiver or a tenner or whatever everytime you go do you?

€170 cash mate when you join and NOTHING again until you renew your membership next year :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Any decent, clean, not too over-crowded and not too expensive gym reviews for Swords area?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Doinker

doherta5 wrote: »
    Went for a free look around and trial of Iveagh Fitness in Christchurch today. The pool is only 15 metres, which is really really small if you want to work on your swimming. Seemed to have a decent weights area and lots of running machines. However the price is still in Celtic Tiger mode, with a €250 joining fee (waived if you had signed up for texts off them previously) and €70 a month thereafter for an adult and €50 a month if you're a student/OAP. I mean, I left the NAC last year because I thought €44 a month was too expensive for a brand new gym and a 50m pool...

Was there over the weekend. Couldn't get any price info over the phone, so dropped in. Weights and cardio area's are alright, but they aren't €70 a month alright. Nearly had a banger when I saw their prices. Joined Raw Gym up the road in portbello for €400 yearly fee. Half the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭petroltimer

hey,

thought id just say i'm a member of the carisle ben dunne gym for about 3 weeks now and no problems, even at its most busy you can still get the work out done, now the pool does be to packed at peak times, pool is not really my thing but for others this may be a concern.

But for €240 for the year can go wrong and since i'm not showering at home as much anymore i'm saving on the esb bill to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Monife wrote: »
    Any decent, clean, not too over-crowded and not too expensive gym reviews for Swords area?

Image Gym, Swords - fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Hi all,

Never had a gym membership before so dunno what to do, working in Sandyford so been looking at Total Fitness and Westwood anyone any experience in either?! Any other gyms nearby that I'm not aware of? I went in to enquire about membership in TF he said 62e a month or 682e then said is that all and walked off, put me right off tbh. Westwood offered 15months for 900e, works out 60 a month but they want 400e then 500e 3months later, but at least they showed me around the bloody place even if they were only trying to make the sale.

Should have said I'm looking for somewhere that can give me a program to work on, I used to be fit few years back from doing horse riding, hockey & rugby but rugby I gave up due to injury & the other 2 I had to drop due to lack of time. SO I've no idea as regards gyms & fitness programs. South Dub/North wicklow area.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ndubz

I am thinking of joining this gym, just want to know what people think, i dont swim often but am interested in the gym, however, the part used for training equipment seems rather small on their website, and is there any trainers around for advice, any review wud be appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

but clean???:D
    haha no it is a great gym,been a member for a year and it has everything you're lookin for.never really gets overcrowded and is cheap as chips for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ndubz

Anyone on the swan leisure gym in rathmines? I am aware it's quite New ;)

Advertisement