Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Medme

or UCD gym

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rca_1987

I heard there's a Guinness gym at Watling Street. Does anyone know anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Was working nearby and got tour of Guinness gym, they only take memberships from time to time and tbh reminded me of a hotel gym. I actually think more people went to the clarion which was the other option.

If you're in this area Herberton is worth a look, think its € 300 for the year, €50 pay as you go, under new management so there are noticeable changes being made. I just do weights but seems decent with usual classes, pool and sauna/steam room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Looking for a review of the Carslile gym.. Not looking for anything major, pool and few machines really, the classes (Pilates spin etc) being included is also a bonus for the price.

But is it very run down/a rough area/always jam packed?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 phanley

PlayGirl wrote: »
    Looking for a review of the Carslile gym.. Not looking for anything major, pool and few machines really, the classes (Pilates spin etc) being included is also a bonus for the price.

But is it very run down/a rough area/always jam packed?

Hi PlayGirl,

I'm in Carslile and I cant complain about it at all really!
    Machines are normally all working correctly, a few or the weights machines are a bit dated but still work perfectly.
    I rarely use the pool but when I do I can't find fault with it.
    I only do spinning class and the only negative I can say for that is that the standard varies greatly with the instructors, mostly its good.
    The only thing I will say about it is when its busy (evening times) it can get messy around the weights areas, people leaving weights all over the place and never putting them back on the racks, the odd bit of rubbish can be seen also like water bottles.
    The area is fine, and they've a guy patrolling the car park the odd time also.

There's no luxury in it, to be fair. Its a gym and is exactly what you'd expect from a gym, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Hanley wrote: »
    Raw.

Be prepared to wait an eternity for any machine and to go on epic adventures trying to find your dumbells sibling.

It's seriously getting stupid packed in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Smyth wrote: »
    Be prepared to wait an eternity for any machine and to go on epic adventures trying to find your dumbells sibling.

It's seriously getting stupid packed in there.

It is? I've never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for anything in Raw tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It is? I've never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for anything in Raw tbh.

It will always depend on the time you gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Canon Hayes Recreation Centre Tipperary:

So while im awake I said I'd give a review of my regular gym.
    It's not based towards anything like powerlifting/bodybuilding but it's makes the most of it's space. It has quite a few machines and dumbbells up to 48kg. One squat rack which can be rather annoying if it's busy. The cardio area is more than enough for the flow of people coming in and out. Monday Wednesday Friday you get a lot of secondary schoolers in after school time which can be annoying. The staff are nice, Darren and Joss are very good and open for discussion if needs must. I haven't encountered the other staff but they seem nice when they're helping others.

You get those people who are messy out but people tend to clean up after themselves so it's never dirty for say. Does get crowded at night time though, so mid afternoon is best. Never any rubbish lying about.

Broken equipment sometimes takes a while to sort but generally not over 10 says. Darren is usually the main man about and is always and I mean always happy to hear how training is going.

You get your n00bs who can be annoying but lately there seems to be more people doing the big lifts like OH press, squats and dealifts etc..

Another thing, chest day is everyday and followed by chest is biceps :P I like it there though.

The pool and sauna are also good, nice facilities. Outdoor facilities are top notch- astro turf pitches, running track and tennis courts. Inside are handball/squash allys which are handy for a change sometimes. Indoor basketball/soccer area also.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Yeah, i'd head there after work so it usually gets fairly packed.

A lot of people there on a mon, wed, fri split too. From 5:30 -7 it can be a bit **** to get things like a bench or a squat rack.

They have a lot of old and redundant machines in there that nobody really uses. Another leg press or flat bench would be great. Or another cable area. For a place that packed, they're not really making much of the space.

I'm sure they know that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

Based in Fairview - looking for a better option than Westwood - 300 joining fee and 70 pm is crazy ridiculous. any other options around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bean93

KingK wrote: »
    Just what the place is like in general. Friendly staff? Nice equipment? Busy?

Iwas up there today to try it out. Because i'm a member of hercules lifting club at the moment. Membership is expensive if your a student like me but its grand if ur working and earning money i suppose. Staff are friendly and give good advise I would recommend a good trainer there called greame maher. Equipement isnt bad it does the job. But the dumbbells dont go up to to 50kg or 75kg in iveagh like in my gym at the moment. they only go up to 45kg so they told be. Didnt use the sauna there, but i used the ice bath, swimming pool and jaccuzzi there and its pretty good :). Also the members are friendly there also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Rossie4ever

Hi,

I recently moved into a house in Stillorgan and looking to join a gym. Is there any gym in stillorgan or any gym that would be walking distance from stillorgan.
    I would be a beginner in gym terms and i am looking to bulk up/build some muscle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Hi,

I recently moved into a house in Stillorgan and looking to join a gym. Is there any gym in stillorgan or any gym that would be walking distance from stillorgan.
    I would be a beginner in gym terms and i am looking to bulk up/build some muscle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

http://www.bhaf.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Hey hey,
    About to leave my current gym in town and looking for somewhere new, Was in RAW earlier and I like the look of it a lot the only thing that might hold me back is the price, I'm going to check out some other places in or around the city centre, anyone got any recommends?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Hey hey,
    About to leave my current gym in town and looking for somewhere new, Was in RAW earlier and I like the look of it a lot the only thing that might hold me back is the price, I'm going to check out some other places in or around the city centre, anyone got any recommends?

Have a look at YourFitness in Harolds Cross, it's not far from RAW and has parking. You can also payg so you could check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bean93

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Hey hey,

If your looking for a simular style of gym and thats cheaper than RAW come on down to Hercules club where I train, it's on north king street/lurgan street (i.e. at the back of caple street). Its probably the best place in Ireland to train and many top bodybuilders, powerlifters and olympic lifts train there. Take a look on the website here http://www.herculesclub.ie/Home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

hey I'm looking to join a new gym in Dublin 8 as I'll be doing a course up in that area for the next few months. Currently in Westwood Lepardstown. All I can find is Escape One and Raw, WW is mad expensive for what I use it for. Out of the two RAW looks great to me, I am not a huge lad by any means but the free weights area is where I spend most of my time. Is RAW out of my league? is there an 'in-between' option? Will I feel small and puny in RAW?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Dude, you're not in the gym to worry about what others thing of you. Them lifting massive weight isn't gonna do anything for you and there will be a day when you have your time. If you like RAW, go to RAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭COH

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    hey I'm looking to join a new gym in Dublin 8 as I'll be doing a course up in that area for the next few months. Currently in Westwood Lepardstown. All I can find is Escape One and Raw, WW is mad expensive for what I use it for. Out of the two RAW looks great to me, I am not a huge lad by any means but the free weights area is where I spend most of my time. Is RAW out of my league? is there an 'in-between' option? Will I feel small and puny in RAW?? :)

Lol, you'll be just fine dude

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

COH wrote: »
    Lol, you'll be just fine dude

Ha I know I shouldn't give a rats ass about any other user! Ill be checkin it out on Friday! Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭COH

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Ha I know I shouldn't give a rats ass about any other user! Ill be checkin it out on Friday! Looking forward to it

Then you'll most likely meet me at reception :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

http://www.herbertonleisure.ie/
    There's also this place in Rialto, on the Luas line and €50 p/m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Hi,

Cheers

Where in Stillorgan are you? Depending how close to Blackrock village there's also Urban Fitness - looks like a pretty mean set up with semi-private classes/bootcamps etc and they're posting some great results from members on Facebook. Ironside is up that way too which is an open gym and really well equipped also.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Rossie4ever

I am just living across from stillorgan shopping centre. Thinking about joining body health and fitness. Does anyone know if its a good gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

I am just living across from stillorgan shopping centre. Thinking about joining body health and fitness. Does anyone know if its a good gym?

Yes, I know.

Yes, it's a good gym, has everything you could need and the lads working there are dead sound! Never a huge crowd that you'd be waiting ages for something either.

Hey guys, so just moved to Ballsbridge 2 weeks ago and looking for a good gym. Anyone got thoughts on Westwood Sandymount, EnergieFitness on Shelbourne Road or SportsCo in Ringsend?

Should I avoid the likes of FlyFit and Jackie Skelly?

Should I get a bike and head to Raw? Heard its a good gym.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Has anyone ever used or been in the gym at Carton House hotel? Staying there for a couple of days this week and wouldn't mind keep things ticking over while I'm there.... or at least having a hangover-curing dive into the pool of a morning...

Advertisement