Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used or been in the gym at Carton House hotel? Staying there for a couple of days this week and wouldn't mind keep things ticking over while I'm there.... or at least having a hangover-curing dive into the pool of a morning...

yes, used it twice.

it's fairly crap in terms of weight selection.
    selection of threadmills

sauna, steam and pool are fairly nice and luxurious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used or been in the gym at Carton House hotel? Staying there for a couple of days this week and wouldn't mind keep things ticking over while I'm there.... or at least having a hangover-curing dive into the pool of a morning...

BW and DB exercises (especially unilateral exercises) are the only way to go for most hotel gyms. Either that or just enjoy your stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Anyone a member of energie gym in swords?thinking of joining next week

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rower2

Hey guys, so just moved to Ballsbridge 2 weeks ago and looking for a good gym. Anyone got thoughts on Westwood Sandymount, EnergieFitness on Shelbourne Road or SportsCo in Ringsend?

Should I avoid the likes of FlyFit and Jackie Skelly?

Should I get a bike and head to Raw? Heard its a good gym.

Cheers.

serious training = stick with raw

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Anyone a member of the fitness dock on camden street? Thinking of joining and wondering if it's mad busy during lunch and is it expensive. Please and thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

RAFA B wrote: »
    Anyone a member of the fitness dock on camden street? Thinking of joining and wondering if it's mad busy during lunch and is it expensive. Please and thanks.

I've never been at lunch, but 5/6 + it gets a bit mad, thankfully most people do classes (they're free with membership) so the weights area doesn't get too mental.

Depends what your goals are and what you'll be using.
    its €49 a month or €39 off peak.

Overall, it's good for starting out or if your into cardio and classes. If you're big into weights I wouldn't recommend it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I've never been at lunch, but 5/6 + it gets a bit mad, thankfully most people do classes (they're free with membership) so the weights area doesn't get too mental.

Depends what your goals are and what you'll be using.
    its €49 a month or €39 off peak.

Overall, it's good for starting out or if your into cardio and classes. If you're big into weights I wouldn't recommend it though.

Thanks. Basically looking to start weights to tone up. Prices seem a bit steep but the location is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I think the price mostly is because it is such a handy location. Personally I don't think it is worth €49 euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Raw gym Dublin. What are the showers and lockers like? do you need a lock for the lockers? are there many showers and are they clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭freckly

Verve Gyms

Would ratoath or dunboyne be best to join? Which is quieter? I live in Ratoath but could drive to Dunboyne to save queuing for machienes. Or Ashbourne. Anyone know if there are smallish independent gyms in Ashbourne? I know there's an energie and clann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Hi All ,

I'm looking to join a gym in Dublin City Center.

I've been a member of the Fitness Dock and was on a great deal until their prices changed and i'd be paying 2x as much (~500 from around 250) Plus i found some of their staff a little arrogant

That was about 18 months ago, I've since joined Total Fitness near Christ Church. I like this gym but lately I've found that broken machines are staying broken and the quality of the gym has decreased in recent months.

So i'm looking for a new one.

Anywhere near the city center / south side as i live there. I'm currently paying 50 quid a month but have been told that's expensive.

I've been looking at Crunch fitness but the reviews are out of date (2009) and not really helpful.

Anyone got recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd recommend Raw but that's cos i'm biased. But it caters for people like me who aren't proper lifters to people who pull serious weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

freckly wrote: »
    Verve Gyms

Would ratoath or dunboyne be best to join? Which is quieter? I live in Ratoath but could drive to Dunboyne to save queuing for machienes. Or Ashbourne. Anyone know if there are smallish independent gyms in Ashbourne? I know there's an energie and clann.
    I was a member in Swords until I just walked out after 2 weeks, handing in my key fob and leaving 2 and 1/2 months of membership unused and unrefunded.

The reason?

Constant, unhealthily loud, bass-heavy 'music' in a very small gym made for a very stressful workout.

The lockers in the changing rooms were constantly vibrating with the beat and the Steam Room was unusable due to the 'amplifier' effect of the bass vibrations through the walls into the small, confined space.

The staff are friendly and all but I just got sick and tired of the racket and just walked out, drove straight down the road to another gym and joined that instead - fine - of course there's music but not like in Verve.

I am 100 quid down but, by Jesus, I am relieved to be out of that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

born2bwild wrote: »
    I was a member in Swords until I just walked out after 2 weeks, handing in my key fob and leaving 2 and 1/2 months of membership unused and unrefunded.

The reason?

Constant, unhealthily loud, bass-heavy 'music' in a very small gym made for a very stressful workout.

The lockers in the changing rooms were constantly vibrating with the beat and the Steam Room was unusable due to the 'amplifier' effect of the bass vibrations through the walls into the small, confined space.

The staff are friendly and all but I just got sick and tired of the racket and just walked out, drove straight down the road to another gym and joined that instead - fine - of course there's music but not like in Verve.

I am 100 quid down but, by Jesus, I am relieved to be out of that place.

I assume you asked them to turn down the music and/or complained before? They might not have even known about the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

gavtron wrote: »
    I assume you asked them to turn down the music and/or complained before? They might not have even known about the problem.

Be interested to hear this too. Esp if the staff were so friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

gavtron wrote: »

I asked them to turn it down a few times - and they did, in fairness.

However, the pre-amp that had a button for adjusting the bass just disappeared one day and there was no way of adjusting the bass then...

And anyway, every time I was there I had to go and turn the music down and I didn't like to be the one to do it, especially since it seemed I was the only one who was bothered by it..

Anyway, they were nice about it but I really didn't belong there - I can't stand loud 'dance' music - it makes me feel sick.

Maybe I'm a moany old B@$tard but I have never come across such a racket in all the gyms I've ever been in and I've been in nine different gyms in the last ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

born2bwild wrote: »
    I asked them to turn it down a few times - and they did, in fairness.

However, the pre-amp that had a button for adjusting the bass just disappeared one day and there was no way of adjusting the bass then...

And anyway, every time I was there I had to go and turn the music down and I didn't like to be the one to do it, especially since it seemed I was the only one who was bothered by it..

Anyway, they were nice about it but I really didn't belong there - I can't stand loud 'dance' music - it makes me feel sick.

Maybe I'm a moany old B@$tard but I have never come across such a racket in all the gyms I've ever been in and I've been in nine different gyms in the last ten years.

Thanks for the reply, I was just wondering from having worked in Pubs/Hotels etc. that you get accustomed to the noise and don't even notice it after a while!
    BTW don't try shopping in Hollister!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Not a review, but I've seen here before people asking about 24 hour gyms opening in Dublin. Just spotted this on Facebook, might be of use to people.

https://www.facebook.com/AnytimeFitnessDunLaoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 7 damian.griffin

Considering joining yourfitness in Harold's Cross. Can anyone provide pro's and con's ???

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 adtec

plenty space, good range of equipment and weights, not too crowded (busy early evenings, as with all places), friendly staff. Showers and changing room could do with upgrading, tho' clean and functional as they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 tellmeaboutit

Hi all - looking for some updated insight on a few gyms or recommendations for others

The gyms I am currently considering are Iveagh in Christchurch, Herberton leisure, and yourfitness in Harolds Cross. Anyone currently/recently a member, please let me know your thoughts....

I live in Kilmainham so looking for something easy to get to and preferably with parking.

The most important aspect of a gym to me is the quality and quantity of the classes -- I like variety and I favor the high intensity cardio (step, kickboxing, zumba/dance, etc) as well as classes that will push me to my limits (trx, etc).

Good machines, pool and clean/comfortable locker room facilities are nice extras.

I have tried Raw (main gripe is that I didn't love the classes - not enough cardio/intensity/variety and very small studio) plus (as an aside!) I hated the locker rooms! I had parking right down the street at my job so location was really convenient...

Also tried YMCA (not convenient for parking and classes were not consistent - never knew what to expect and just a bit grimy), and Livingwell at hilton (not enough cardio classes for me, always being cancelled last minute).

Please let me know your insight to these gyms I want to try or others I should consider -- thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Guys... Any update on Ben Dunne in Northwood...

I'd be a first time gym member and basically I'd be looking to use the pool, sauna jacuzzi, bikes, running machines and some weights for toning up a little.. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Hey looking at joining a new gym in the D9 area, I've been to Westwood and Northwood and wouldn't go back to either, looking for a change.

thanks for any suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 flaghead

Strumms wrote: »
    Guys... Any update on Ben Dunne in Northwood...

I'd be a first time gym member and basically I'd be looking to use the pool, sauna jacuzzi, bikes, running machines and some weights for toning up a little.. Thanks in advance.

great for toning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Can anyone suggest a decent gym in South Dublin? Living in Sandyford, but work in Clonskeagh so happy to join anywhere between Sandyford and D4/D6 really...

I have had a look at LA Fitness and I like the look of it, small gym, doesn't seem to overcrowded (from what I can see anyway!), and membership is €47 a month.

Westwood is obviously pricier at €75 a month

Not sure if I like the idea of Ben Dunne as it just seems really crowded and obviously there is no pool...

I am most interested in classes and treadmills, free weights are not a priority, and like the idea of being able to swim or use the sauna!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a decent gym in South Dublin? Living in Sandyford, but work in Clonskeagh so happy to join anywhere between Sandyford and D4/D6 really...

I have had a look at LA Fitness and I like the look of it, small gym, doesn't seem to overcrowded (from what I can see anyway!), and membership is €47 a month.

Westwood is obviously pricier at €75 a month

Not sure if I like the idea of Ben Dunne as it just seems really crowded and obviously there is no pool...

I am most interested in classes and treadmills, free weights are not a priority, and like the idea of being able to swim or use the sauna!
    Westpark in Tallaght?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Westpark in Tallaght?

I've looked into it - it's a bit further out than most of the places I've been looking at! Taking traffic before/after work into account, it's not an option.

Joined LA Fitness as I liked the look of it and I didn't want a large gym - have heard mixed reviews about it, but will see how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭yellowbear

Anyone any reviews of energie parkwest or Living well at the hilton in kilmainham?

Im looking for a gym with a somewhat decent swimming pool in the D12 area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

yellowbear wrote: »
    Anyone any reviews of energie parkwest or Living well at the hilton in kilmainham?

Im looking for a gym with a somewhat decent swimming pool in the D12 area.

I'm a member of energie parkwest for the next couple of months anyway. It's not the cheapest of gyms around and doesn't have an abundance of weights one squat rack one proper bench press and two damn smith machines , plenty of free weights and five or six benchs which ain't to bad and plenty of machines. If your going in the evening can be a battle to get on things you want but if like me you mostly go off peak there's no problems is nice and quiet which suits me down to the ground. always enough threadmills, rowing machines etc available all times.

has a swimming pool, sauna etc what there like couldn't tell ya never use them. but the pool is mostly quiet of you want a swim apart from when they have chipdrens swimming lessons on.

also have a look at the Sheldon park hotel gym two friends use it and seem to like the place, has a pool anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Hi guys,
    Im considering joining the Livingwell gym attached to the Hilton hotel kilmainham on a 3 month membership. It costs e190 for the 3 months and includes towel per visit, all classes 9 to choose from, and 2 hrs free parking per visit. I know it's quite expensive but it's location may have decided this one for me and I'm also thinkin as it's not a mainstream gym it may not be as busy? Just wondering are any boardies members and what your opinions are of the place... times to avoid, lack of certain equipment or if classes are ever too full that they refuse people in.
    Thanks in advance for any replies guys

Advertisement