Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

hi

anyone got any views on the Crunch gym in Westmanstown?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

i was a member there and decided not to renew my membership due to the fact that theres never any staff around to help when needed.
    the selection of classes which they run are often cancelled due to "lack of interest" or my favourite the "instructor called in sick".
    also when i received my renewal quote it had actually increased, compared to joining new! surely as a returning member i would be offered an incentive? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

Kiya wrote: »
    surely as a returning member i would be offered an incentive? :rolleyes:

there should be an incentive alright,especially as u said they're service could be improved.

how much is it there anyway?

to be honest,i wouldnt go to classes or rely on a lot of help from instructors. i would be interested in main gym+pool+saunas etc. how do u find these?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Are there any members here? Would like to join, a few questions though
    1. Joining fee-how much is it?
    2. Monthly fee-how much is this too?
    3. Classes, are there early morning classes like spin? How often?
    4. Instructors that take these classes, are they good? Motivating?
    5. Programs, how often are they renewed?
    6. Swimming pool, is there one there? I don't know how to swim and want to learn.
    I know i can call them and ask all this questions but would prefer to get opinions from other members..:)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'm interested in Crunch Aston Quay too but it looks a bit seedy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 liamm

Norinoco wrote: »
    Monkstown works out very expensive if you are going there 3 days a week year round though.

You can also join for 3 months, 6 months or a year. Membership for a year costs 450.

Have a look here for all the details.

http://www.monkstownpool.com/moneysaver.html

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

liamm wrote: »
    You can also join for 3 months, 6 months or a year. Membership for a year costs 450.

Have a look here for all the details.

http://www.monkstownpool.com/moneysaver.html

Thanks Liamm - spotted that a few weeks ago and meant to update my post.

The girl I live with has joined Newpark Fitness Centre on Newtownpark Avenue for the same money...now that is one seriously compact gym!
    3 treadmills, 3 stepping machines, 3 bikes, 2 floor mats and a tiny free weights area all in a room the size of my bedroom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 happybee

I joined Jackie Skellys on Clarendon street.Its very very mediocre, bordering on sh*te....if you are the nervouse type,then its pretty bad as there are not many fitness staff on the floor to talk to.
    And general maintenance is pretty nasty aswell.
    BUT if you're just looking for a work-out then its fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tobia

HI, anyone going to The Fitness Dock on Camden Street? Is it any good? I am a member of the westwood at the moment but as I live nearby the Fitness dock was thinking it would make more sense as I would go more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jonathan2011

Has anyone been down to Crunch Fitness in Tallaght yet? Went down last night to have a look. €65 per month with no joining fee till the end of the week. €100 extra if you want to use the other gyms!!

What do people think of the free weights area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

tobia - wouldnt bother joining fitness dock its way to small and there is far better gyms in the area i.e. pinnacle just off camden st., iveagh fitness and jackie skelly on clarendon st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jonathan2011

Lads,

I'm looking for a gym in the Tallaght area which has a good free weights area. Need to build up and but on a stone or two!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 happybee

tobia wrote: »
    HI, anyone going to The Fitness Dock on Camden Street? Is it any good? I am a member of the westwood at the moment but as I live nearby the Fitness dock was thinking it would make more sense as I would go more often.

A friend of mine who is an ex-gym manager joined the Fitness Dock,and its not great either.
    If you're the type who doesnt need guidance in any way,then its fine.But apparently the machines are never maintained so she avoids the treadmills because an un-oiled treadmill can result in destroying your achilles tendon,and knee ligaments apparently!

I think quality-wise,youre better off staying in Westwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Patto

Anyone join or check out this Gym care to post a review?

It looks like a building site at the moment, I've heard it is expensive and fairly disorganised. It seens to have attracted a large portion of the, lets be polite, "local teenage tracksuit brigade" both as staff and members which doesn't marry with the price list, which actually only exists in the manager's head. Something gives I suspect:confused: I've not heard much about the gym itself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

qwertz wrote: »
    Good for you. My experience hasn't been good and I know a few people who had a similar one. Also, I don't give a flying fück about the Temple Bar Crunch since I have never been there, I was commenting on the Dun Laoghaire branch.

would have to agree with Qwertz , dont know which "Crunch in dun laoghaire" youve been going to eth0, unless they have a second gym im not aware of ?

im in the place 4 times a week bout 2 hours a time and have the following issues

1) if its remotely busy the queues for the weights machines are huge
    and thats if there not broken

2) the showers / changing areas are manky . used band aids and what not littering the shower area as well as items of wet used clothing in the showers themselves

3) getting into the gym is hassle you have to scan your badge which in itself is cool but the muppet behind the desk spends ten mins looking at your file photo to decide if your the same person b4 buzzing you in

4)opening hours are pretty bad as well . 7am - 10pm weeknights and closed by 7pm on sat and sun (not great)

5)Overall the price paid is in no way reflected in the quality of service / equipment provided

if your not a member avoid like the plague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

Patto wrote: »
    Anyone join or check out this Gym care to post a review?

It looks like a building site at the moment, I've heard it is expensive and fairly disorganised. It seens to have attracted a large portion of the, lets be polite, "local teenage tracksuit brigade" both as staff and members which doesn't marry with the price list, which actually only exists in the manager's head. Something gives I suspect:confused: I've not heard much about the gym itself though.

A friend of mine, who is a seasoned gym goer, went down here to have a look. He told me they didnt even have a barbell bench press, and when he asked about it they said they have no plans on getting one in.
    Suffice to say, he left pretty quickly after hearing that.

As for crunh in Dun laoghaire, i had a viewing there and was disgusted at the tiny little weights room with the benches in it. How can they expect people to workout in that room, with that heat is beyond me. The only plus i saw in that gym was the quality of the females using it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Can someone give me a list of pay as you go fyms in town?

I know about the Markievicz Gym in Townsend St and it's alright but im hoping for somewhre with a jacuzzi as well as sauna that doesn't cost a fortune (somewhere for about 6/7 quid a session will do) cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Can anyone tell me if the Jackie Skelly gyms have personal showers or are they just one big shower room?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

the jackie skelly in nutgrove has personal showers

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Any more impressions of Liffey Valley Fitness? I saw it get an okay writeup a few pages back and was thinking of trying them out now that I'm free of Jackie Skelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I recently joined (2 weeks) and i have to say it's a KIP.
    • It stinks!!
    • In the ladies changing room, there is only one bin and two toilets??
    • No cotton wool, wet bags for wet clothes or a clock?
    • No classes in the morning, they claim no one attends so why bother. The gym is pretty packed in the morning; they need to create awareness.
    • The personal trainers there can't give a rats ass about your query they shut you up before you start talking "I am not an instructor, i am a PT"
    • In the ladies bathroom the paint and tiles are falling off.
    Also the water facilities is bad! How are you supposed to fill a bottle? There is only one btw
    The only reason why i go there is because of LOCATION, i would not advice anyone to go there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

jonny68 wrote: »
    Can someone give me a list of pay as you go fyms in town?

I know about the Markievicz Gym in Townsend St and it's alright but im hoping for somewhre with a jacuzzi as well as sauna that doesn't cost a fortune (somewhere for about 6/7 quid a session will do) cheers

YMCA on Aungier Street too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Unhappy Punter

If you're thinking of joining Jackie Skelly, you should take a look at http://www.jackieskellymembership.com

It sounds a complete nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 vbboardie

Dubdude wrote: »
    tobia - wouldnt bother joining fitness dock its way to small and there is far better gyms in the area i.e. pinnacle just off camden st., iveagh fitness and jackie skelly on clarendon st

Any idea if pinnacle has a steam room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Nope. Sauna in the gents, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ronanl

they seen to think that if my girlfriends hands over 750 for 3mths they will get her in to shape. by this i mean lose her extra weight and give her a fully toned stomach. dont get me wrong shes not out of shape but she has been going to a gym for about a year and is getting steady results id just be a bit weary of these high priced quick result options. any info??

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

anyone a member of jackie skellies in ballsbridge? how much is membership for a year? or what are the facilities like? im working nearby so was thinking of joining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 activeonline

Gym Closed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

One escape has closed????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Transform wrote: »
    One escape has closed????

16 minutes after it opened apparently :confused:

Advertisement