Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feral Goats

• 03-08-2006 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys just want to ask all the hunters here have they ever shot feral goats.

There are a few of em living on a mountain near my home town. My brother was wondering has anyone else done this type of shooting.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

No,never shot them but it would certainly be different.And curried goat is a feast for the gods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I don't know much but from my experience they are tough as fcuk. i would recommend a head shot, if safe. but if its a shoulder shot use .243 at least.
    lots of fun to hunt though.

Hezz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Keelan is the man to ask if I remember correctly!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hezz700 wrote:
    I don't know much but from my experience they are tough as fcuk. i would recommend a head shot, if safe. but if its a shoulder shot use .243 at least.
    lots of fun to hunt though.

Hezz.

well my bro has a 270 but i have also heard they are very tough animals to take down

There is a heard(is that to correct term) of them close'ish to my home and I am going scout the area for activity this weekend.

I am in a lazy rut at the moment and need to get out hunting more. I go home every evening and watch tv. I must get off my ass and do some serious vermin control or something as I am not making the best use of my time and assets.

I think its being brought on by low returns lately which can frustrate me. I am not the most patient guy, I don't mind going out hunting if I don't shoot anything but i like to at least see my quarry when i go out as it encourages me to return.

Any one else get a lazy spell???

Vegeta wrote:
    I am in a lazy rut at the moment and need to get out hunting more. I go home every evening and watch tv. I must get off my ass and do some serious vermin control or something as I am not making the best use of my time and assets.

I think its being brought on by low returns lately which can frustrate me. I am not the most patient guy, I don't mind going out hunting if I don't shoot anything but i like to at least see my quarry when i go out as it encourages me to return.

Any one else get a lazy spell???

Been out everyday for the last 2 weeks doing crop protection. Best time of year as you get to meet so many landowners!! Having a pint last night and was approached by landowner to shoot he corn fields! I'm told he hasn't allowed shooters on his land for years.. happy days :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I was out a couple of weeks ago and i didnt hit a damn thing,it kind of discouraged me a little.Still,i must get back out and have a good snoop around,those pesky pigeons wont mock me forever!!

Terrier,

Happy days for sure, congrats on the new ground. i'd have to agree, this is the best time to be out and about. I've got most my land on the basis that i will control the vermin. much more action and variety than game season could ever offer.

Hezz

Just collect 500 rounds, Eley Hawk 28g 7.5 for €94 :)
    Two of the corn fields i've been shooting for the last few weeks are due to be cut this weekend so time to give the Crows and Pigeons a good bashing!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

[
    QUOTE=Vegeta]well my bro has a 270 but i have also heard they are very tough animals to take down

There is a heard(is that to correct term) of them close'ish to my home and I am going scout the area for activity this weekend.

They are tough sods all right.And head shots can somtimes be not to effective,considering thats what they use to fight with[head butting].
    Heart or centre mass is the best.A 270 should be good enough.Mind you dont get Aideen Yourell and ICABS upset now.:rolleyes: They were whining and moaning last year or so when Cal Ward shot a couple and reported on it in the Irish Shooters Digest.Aideen & Co immediately sprang into action and promptly formed a....wild Irish goat protection campain group.Which occasionaly bleats[pun intended] about somthing or other re goats in Clare.
    If you do go shooting ,try for the kids,they are better eating,and arent as savvy as the adults.Nothing worse than having to skin and then try to cook somhow a rancid old Billy goat.:eek:

Any one else get a lazy spell

Regularly..like from Jan 31st to Sept 1st!!:D But try and spend it checking out new shooting areas,etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

During the foot and mouth Army Snipers were detailed to shoot wild goats so id say there the guys to ask. They have been known to shoot a few other animals at the request of the cops or another equaly qualified agency (Dept of Agraculture for example).

• Advertisement

Terrier wrote:
    Just collect 500 rounds, Eley Hawk 28g 7.5 for €94 :)
    Two of the corn fields i've been shooting for the last few weeks are due to be cut this weekend so time to give the Crows and Pigeons a good bashing!! :D

A man after my own heart. thats good value, were did ya purchase???
    there's a lot of airborn activity in my area at the monment and i'd love to spend the long weekend blasting away at them but i've gotta wedding to attend in Mayo:( so the the only thing to get a bashing will be the wallet:p

Hezz.

thanks for all the news lads.

I was wondering about a few things though. What is the best time to try and meet them out.

Are they lovers of twilight or will they come out any time of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Years ago the Da was working with a bloke who was into shooting. One day he called over to yer man to borrow some tools, but he was out. The guy's wife answers the door, tells my Da that he's out but he'll be back in a minute, so Da goes in to wait for him.

"Do you want any lamb chops? We've loads here" says the wife.
    "No thanks" says Da
    "Ah go on, it's not costing us anything. They're from the wild sheep he shoots up the (Dublin) mountains" says the wife. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Becarefull about feral goat shooting.;)
    Keelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

cushtac wrote:
    "Do you want any lamb chops? We've loads here" says the wife.
    "No thanks" says Da
    "Ah go on, it's not costing us anything. They're from the wild sheep he shoots up the (Dublin) mountains" says the wife. :eek:
    So were they 'goat' chops, or was he really shooting sheep that didn't appear to belong to anyone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Rovi wrote:
    So were they 'goat' chops, or was he really shooting sheep that didn't appear to belong to anyone???

I dunno, Da never took them. Are there any feral goats in Dublin? I've never come across any.

Keelan wrote:
    Becarefull about feral goat shooting.;)
    Keelan.

ok i am confused, are you saying "be careful and make sure they are feral" or are you saying "be careful cos they're dangerous animals"

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Sorry, should have expained better.
    Becarfull, as a feral goat is nobodys while its doing damage, but some smart arse will allways own up to it when shot and say, 'Thats my best pure bred miker you shot!!;)
    Keelan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I used to cull goats in Australia- used 270 - I wouldnt go for a head shot as you could miss and hit the jaw,
    The organisation I was in would to volunteer to cull goats for the national parks. They would close a 2 million acre national park so we could cull goats for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

cushtac wrote:
    I dunno, Da never took them. Are there any feral goats in Dublin? I've never come across any.

Aren't there supposed to be some on Dalkey Island?

• Advertisement
Advertisement