Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Silver cars

Options
  • 03-08-2006 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

Is the silver car fad over yet? It must be the most boring colour to have on a car, looks awful. How many silver golfs are there out there? I notice the car ads in the papers are using more and more coloured cars rather than the drap metalic grey.... thank god.

Anyone agree? Or do you think its worth it cause its "easier to keep clean"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Like yourself I love the dark grey colour.

Silver is class though, I love the colour it.

Ok it is easy to keep clean, but no one wants a dirty car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Duplicated?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The reason people buy Silver is that it shows off the shape of the car, not the colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

ned78 wrote:
    The reason people buy Silver is that it shows off the shape of the car, not the colour.

or its because its a safe and pedestrian colour. Its not just cars, lots of products are more popular in the boring colours. Cant go wrong with silver.. :rolleyes:

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I really dont think it shows off any shape. I feel it makes it look dull and unimpressive looking. Say the new Golf GTI, have you seen it in silver beside a red one in the showroom? It looks terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My parents insisted on buying a silver car before because it's "easier to keep clean". Looked boring as muck compared to the other cars on offer. I was definitely unimpressed.

Actually my own car is silver these days, but that's because I was spending **** all money on it and wasn't really in a position to be picky over the colour. :)

But you know what's worse than a silver car? A white car :) Filthy looking things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Have you seen the new golf GTI in white? I dont know why, but it looks sort of cool! On the whole I agree with you though, unless you are a pimp in an old merc, white is not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Nah, I've seen some really nice white cars lately stark. On a new car it's not that common so looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Hate silver cars, but driving one and buying another one:o
    In fairness the other options on the particular model were purple/blue or orange!

White cars? A golf gti fully colour coded in white is better in white than most colours!

General observations I've made on the cars I've looked at: (Obviously there are exceptions.)
    Red/Black adds to second hand price. Also silver but not as much.
    Blue doesn't affect it much.
    Green lowers second hand price. Ditto any wacky colours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

lightening wrote:
    Have you seen the new golf GTI in white? I dont know why, but it looks sort of cool!

Its candy white, I dont think its normal straight white but iv never got up close and personal with one.

Im looking at changing my car ATM and silver is putting me off some of them purely because there are so many silver cars around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Forget silver, this is the business: Mirrachrome.
    http://alsacorp.com/company/50cent/50cent.htm

This paint job on 50 Cent's Murcielago is astounding :cool:

1-50-cent-lambo-lamborghini-murciel.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

el tel wrote:
    This paint job on 50 Cent's Murcielago is astounding :cool:
    I think... I'm going to be... sick... in 50 Cent's Lambo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Going by stock of paint tins at the back of my garage, silver looks like the most popular followed by dark blue, light blue, dark green, light green, black, white and then gold/yellow and ods and ends after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lol my dad buys silver cars, his main reason is he believes scratches won't show up as much as say on a black/red car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Black cars are a whore for showing up imperfections in the bodywork, scratches, dinges etc.

Every time I wash my car there is a ne mark on it. Dammit ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The MINI Cooper is cool in white, well, off white. They call it Pepper White, and with a contrasting black roof it's stunning.

/MINI Owner, runs and hides ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Silver is ok, a bit conservative. But so are a lot of other colours

White is awful. It screams "I am a boy ricer with a souped up Jap import" *pukes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Black rulez but I'm driving a silver/grey car now :(

Still it hides the dirt I must keep telling myself that
    ad infinitum!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I have a black car now and every time I look at it I see new scrathes, I miss my old silver one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

unkel wrote:
    White is awful. It screams "I am a boy ricer with a souped up Jap import" *pukes*

Given but ther a whole load of cars out there that look cool in White such as aforementioned Golf or an RS4 which comes in a whole variety of cool non silver colour...... Maybe when I have a house bought and paid for in 60 years....:mad: and I'm older than my grandad is now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

mike65 wrote:
    Black rulez but I'm driving a silver/grey car now :(

Uncle Henry thought the same. It is impossible to keep clean though, and any imnperfections are really obvious.

Completely useless piece of trivia: Harry Ferguson painted his first tractors black, but switched to grey when it became obvious how bad they looked after a days work.

unkel wrote:

Or "I am a jap import Toyota Corona taxi"

ninty9er wrote:
    ther a whole load of cars out there that look cool in White such as aforementioned Golf or an RS4

They look sh!te too, imho :)

I don't think I have ever seen a white car that looked good...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think Honda Integras look great in white, as do the aforementioned Golf GTI's. Silver... bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Some cars can look amazing in white, the M5 for example, with the window tint, mmmm.

Saw a white Pathfinder today actually, looked the business.

qz wrote:
    Some cars can look amazing in white, the M5 for example, with the window tint, mmmm

Aaaargh! I would not even like the looks of a white M5. Did you post that just to upset me? :)

Why would one make their M5 look like a Corolla?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Disgusting, especially with those drug dealer / rapper 325/15/ZR22s :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Is it just me or does the new Lexus IS and the new shape 5 series looks almost identical?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

No one can deny that a Merc in classic Mercedes silver isnt nice ? for me if i was going to buy on it would have to be silver .. its their trademark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

*****Uninteresting Trvia Fact*****

The mention of classic Silver for Mercedes has set me off:

This dates back to years ago when racing cars where painted different colour depending on which country they came from:

Silver - Germany
    White - Japan
    British Racing Green - Cant' remember ;-)
    Red - Italy (I think)

Loads more as well, but can't be bothered to do the research - these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

*****End of Uninteresting Trivia Fact*****

Advertisement