Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband package in Dublin given specs?

• 03-08-2006 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi there!

I am a foreigner new in Dublin and am thinking about which is the most suitable broadband package for me.

I think my minimum requirements are
    download >= 2 MBs,
    upload >=256KBs,
    free traffic included: >=20GB,
    no online time limit,
    no port restrictions,
    and of course it should be cheap! :D

I don't have a good overview yet but these seem to be good offers:
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/broadbandfeatures.php
    really no hidden cost, 35 all inclusive?

http://www.magnetnetworks.ie/packages/intro.shtml
    this should be 52 all inclusive?

Any problems with these or other suggestions?

Thanks a million in advance!
    Pensi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Hi Pensi, welcome to Ireland!

I use BT and am very happy with the deal. For a while they were having billing issues, but at least in my case this has been resolved (I was overcharged €35 last year and it took 4 months to recover).

For €40 per month, I get 2Mb/256Kb, cap I think is 20 GB (?) and no port restrictions. This price includes the line rental.

The service has been very reliable, and my experience with customer service has been very good.

You will find people with different views, but here in Boards you are more likely to get people venting their frustrations than making a point when they are happy - probably like anywhere else...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

When I was looking, Smart seemed like the best bet. But they don't do my area (or loads of other areas). Magnet were my second choice but they didn't do it either (I live in Swords, near the airport. Not the back of the moon). I was signing up with BT but they were slooooooow. So while I was waiting I signed up with IBB and cancelled BT. I'm happy with IBB but a lot of the posters on these boards aren't so don't just take my word for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What IBB package did you get? Not Ripwave I take it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Nah. 2MB Breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pensi

Thanks for your kind replies!

From what you say there seems no bad experience with Smart or Magnet and they are the cheapest options?

I can move to my new place next week and then I hope that Smart or Magnet is actually serving that area. A bit sad is that they state to require 25(!) days for connecting...

If anybody has some more good advice, please let me know!

Thanks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Have a look at NTL too. They don't cover every where but they are building up presence. They use cable for BB and their prices / speeds are good.

@paulm17781:
    I have no experience how it works here in Ireland. When I get the standard NTL BB package for 30 €, is there any additional line rental fee or the like for the cable provision or other stuff?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

no extra fees , I thinnk the connection charge and equipment are BOTH free at present.

also look at Digiweb Metro wireless

pensi wrote:
    @paulm17781:
    I have no experience how it works here in Ireland. When I get the standard NTL BB package for 30 €, is there any additional line rental fee or the like for the cable provision or other stuff?

You have to pay for cable tv from them which is €20 some people consider this 'line rental' I consider 15 TV channels. If you have NTL TV then it is only an extra €30 if you do not they tend to give you the tv for free for 12 months.

OK thanks! That's what I expected. So the all inclusive price for a new customer is 50€...
    Then it seems like Magnet and Smart are a good bit cheaper.

• Advertisement

Magnet isn't. Smart is. As I said I look at it that I pay €40 for my BB and €20 for my tv. Cable is the only TV I can get in my apartment. If you won't watch the TV then it is a redundant charge. Still cheaper than an Eircom line though.

Oh yes, you're right: Magnet is 53€ for a comparable package. Thanks!

Some more questions:
    I have only be using DSL yet. Is there any disadvantage of broadband over cable compared to DSL?
    Furthermore, does bb over cable need an additional phone line? I just want to make sure, sometimes the discussions seem to suggest this.

Are there any port restrictions from Smart telecom? They are a telephone company so one could imagine them putting some constraints on using VOIP...

Thanks again!

Advertisement