Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtightness in a poroton house

Options
  • 03-08-2006 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

Hi Viking,

A quick question. Your poroton based build is an airtight construction is it not?

I'm curious as to how to actually achieve this given that the poroton system (according to FBT) is not an inherently airtight system.

Is it through the use of softboard internally on the external walls? How then would this handle the junction with a solid concrete floor on the 1 st floor with the external walls?

Thanks

Sas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

When you plaster a poroton block wall internally and externally you reach very good levels of airtightness and it is breathable when you use the correct plaster and paint.

Airtightness is like a balloon with a tear that you constantly have to keep blowing up.
    Breathability is like the way a balloon deflates slowly overnight. The air gently migrates through the wall letting the fabric breathe keeping it healthy.

We loose 33% of the energy used in our houses through air leakage.
    33% is lost through the building fabric (walls,roof, windows, floor slab).
    33% is used heating water.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Eh, i'm confused just a tad :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

delly wrote:
    Eh, i'm confused just a tad :confused:

I pm'ed him and he decided to discuss it publicly.

SAS

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

sas wrote:
    I pm'ed him and he decided to discuss it publicly.

SAS
    Ok I get it now, for a minute there I thought Viking was suffering from split personality or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Seeing as we're going to do it this way...
    When you plaster a poroton block wall internally and externally you reach very good levels of airtightness and it is breathable when you use the correct plaster and paint.

Previously you stated the importance of HRV in airtight builds but FBT claim its unnecessary for the poroton system. Who do I believe?

Also, where do you get breathable paint?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

sas wrote:
    Also, where do you get breathable paint?

Dunno, but I presume it is similar to the paint that I was told to use on my new front door (Scandinavian Hardwood Pine).

There are places around mentioned to me by the manufacturer but I don't need it yet so havent looked into it further.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Oil based paint is to some degree breatheable, acrylic/emulsion is not, hence timber rotting from the inside when painted with acrylic.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

The most breathable paint CJ is Linseed Oil for wood and external walls.

Advertisement