Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone know hopw much it should cost?

Options
  • 03-08-2006 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

My car broke down yesterday and I had to call a company to tow it as i was going to be late for work. turned out to be a clutch cable and the bill came to a whopping €289 - towing charge was €60 for a journey down the poxy road and labour was 2 hours now im sorry but it shouldnt have takin a mechanic 2 hours to install a clutch cable should it? I was going to leave my car in to be serviced in this place but im thinking they r now probably too expensive with that bill for one cable!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

That doesn't sound too unreasonable to me, tbh.

I suppose you could have always repaired it yourself.

Welcome to boards btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It depends on the car, I suppose. I've replaced clutch cables at the side of the road in 15 minutes, but maybe I just did it on a car that's simple to work on. By the way, is this a pretty old car? I'd have thought that most clutches were hydraulic these days - ie no cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

That cost doesn't cound ridiclous to me, for either the towing or the repair.

Advice: Get AA membership; they tow you from A to B as part of your membership, 24/7/365

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Depending on the car it could take LONGER than two hours to fit a clutch cable. What type of car is it? It sounds reasonable to me too - tow charge, two hours and a cable from a main dealer could easily cost 289 total. Its not all that 'whopping' at all when you see what some garages charge.

Now if you suspected that they didn't replace the cable, they damaged your car and stole the petrol out of your tank then I might suggest you find someone else but if you got good service and are back on the road I'd say you are doing ok.

'cptr

*Edit* I replaced the clutch cable in my Cinquecento in half an hour, cost €23 for the cable and I drove it home when it snapped by starting it in gear and shifting without the clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Depending on the car it could take LONGER than two hours to fit a clutch cable.
    Really? :eek:
    Is it an engine out job in some cars? :D

I would have thought maybe it could take a while if you've never done one before on a car that has a particularly unusual arrangement of attaching or routing. But the first time I did one it took me about 40 mins and a bit of cursing and swearing, but the second time I did it on the same model of car it literally took me less than 5 mins because I knew how it was done. Not trying to say wasn't that great of me or anything, but just saying unless they had never worked on a clutch cable at all, no matter what model of car it was I can't see how it would take 2 hours. Just saying is all... am prepared to be taught something new :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Its impossible to determine how long it takes to replace the clutch cable without knowing the make/model of the car.

But €60 for towing is not too bad. Most recovery companies won't get out of bed less than €80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Remember they probably had to go and get the cable too, it all takes time and time equals money so I don't think it was expensive tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

hey thanks everyone, I have no clue about cars but was great to get some feedback. The car is a 97 peugeot 106. I really didnt think it would take 2 hours. Ah well its done now and ive paid. I think i mite try locate a self employed local mechanic as i have no faith in these garages.

BTW another quick question. My car sometimes cuts out when i initially start it. It starts ok and then seems to loose all power, people have suggested the fuel pump but the person i bought it from had the fuel pump changed a year ago. hardly gone again. I have let the car go really low on petrol once or twice. Once it cut out as i forgot to fill her up. Could this have damaged it. any advice on what it could be? someone else suggested the spark plugs?

Advertisement