Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband only

• 03-08-2006 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi all, i have had a look through the forum and while i can compare lots of "broadband plus line rental" packages, i am finding it harder to work out the best deal for broadband only (i don't want a phone line). BT seems to be the obvious choice at 20 per month for 1mb and 30 for 2mb but given cap and billing issues just wondering if anyone could recommend another provider who doesn't require that you sign up to line rental package also - thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

BT don't require you to sign up for line rental. but you do need a line for any ADSL product be it from eircom/BT/utv/smart/imagine etc.

if your adament you don't want a phone line wireless/satellite are options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pajos55

yeah there is a phone line which is inactive at the moment, i have never used it since i moved into the house and i don't need a land line package. wireless is an option but just from reading other posts it seems that the wireless connections are less reliable and lots of stuff blocked etc, maybe i am mistaken here but most people seem to say if you have an alternative to go with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

What area are you in? Do you have NTL tv? They do broadband in some areas. You could also try smart. They are €35 for 3mb broadband which includes line rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pajos55

i'm in dublin city centre, just off south circular road. i presume smart would be available to me but i don't want to pay for line rental for a phone i'm not going to use! I'll look into NTL though, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The thing about Smart is it is cheaper than most other packages as the line rental is included in the BB cost. Wireless and cable are your only non line rental based options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

paulm17781 wrote:
    The thing about Smart is it is cheaper than most other packages as the line rental is included in the BB cost. Wireless and cable are your only non line rental based options.
    And you have to pay for "Basic TV" to get cable, and you usually have significant installation costs for wireless.

Advertisement