Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Are Mods Picked

Options
  • 03-08-2006 1:02pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I now you have the Amp Test and what not but how do the Admins here pick who would mod a section.

For example Dataisgod & Simu are the mods in the Engineering section (I picked this one cause I've an interest in it & if one day either of them gave it up I'd put my name forward!) how were these picked?

Is there a lot of "networking" going on behind the scenes or what happens exactly?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

if you ask, it disqualifies you...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Admins have the final say on who mods a forum.
    Sometimes us mods suggest a poster because they show a great interest in the particular forum and/or they have a good head on their shoulders.
    People are never picked just because they wish to put their name forward.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The reason I was asking is becasue I saw some who became a mod and it just surpriced me and was just wondering how it happened. Best I could figure before I asked the question was that the mod in question got to know other mods/admins or what ever and got it that way.

As I said I would be interested in doing it but from what I can tell it seems to be a thankless job & in some of the more bussier sections it would take up an awful long time.

I'll just keep plugging away with what I'm doing in the mean time

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

kearnsr wrote:
    from what I can tell it seems to be a thankless job & in some of the more bussier sections it would take up an awful long time.

you got that right

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Beruthiel wrote:
    you got that right

How much time would you spending modding?

Is most your time spend modding or would you be just like a normal user as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

kearnsr wrote:
    Best I could figure before I asked the question was that the mod in question got to know other mods/admins or what ever and got it that way.
    I've recommended a few people as mods but it's always been because they appear to be good users on a particular forum, reliable etc, not hotheads and with a genuine interest in the forum they're participating in. Where I have known them (and it's been rare) they'd have been recommended for the role despite this.
    As I said I would be interested in doing it but from what I can tell it seems to be a thankless job
    Not quite thankless but pretty much close enough a lot of the time. It's basically a janitor role (I've said that before and I don't remember anyone actually disagreeing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You need thanks for doing something community based, with something you have a interest in !

As far as i can see everyone picths in their bit, self satisfacation is enough tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

anti wrote:
    You need thanks for doing something community based, with something you have a interest in !
    No, I don't think anyone wants, needs, seeks or expects thanks for community. Its for dealing with the spam, abuse, misunderstanding, fights, rants, nutcases, "woe is me"-types, potential suicides and miscellaneous screw-ups that thanks would be appreaciated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

good point there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

All mods are appointed by the admins. The admins are the only ones with the access to VB to implement this.

Mods are reccomended by other mods in the mod forum (this is a private forum). Admins 99.9% of the time take heed from the other mods as to who should be made mod of such and such board.

Mods do offer to moderate other boards. For example, I offered to moderate the comm/trans board on the mod forum, after Victor looked for volunteers. I offered on the basis that I was interested in the subject and that I read the board in question on a regular basis. Victor reccomended myself and another individual and viola. It happened. That's how it happens basically.

As for the whole "thankless job" "I wouldn't do it in a fit" type sayings. Most of them are Bull tbh.

Ber (to take an example) has a different role. She has Admin type responsibilities, which is different and that is a job I would not do in a fit on this site.

But, most mods take the job because it gives them some sense of pseudo-power or standing in this community. That really is the reality. I have seen people suggesting forums, just to be made mods. The bottom line is, and most will not admit it, that most mods actually enjoy the title of moderator, and would not give it upo for the world*.

*This may be a slight exaggeration!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

erm ....
    Hobart wrote:
    Victor reccomended myself and another individual and viola.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

for me it was punishment for spending too much time in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

in all my time here I have noticed that most mods are chosen for helping remove the dead stripper from the annual admin/smod bash, they are sworn to secrecy and branded with the unholy boards.ie admin slave avatar.

The only reason i can release such information is because i am not mod (thank ****!) nor admin (thank zombie jesus!) and so can't be sued for breaking a contract.

tbph, being a mod involves alot of heartache and annoyance and so should only be bestowed for those capable of doing the task properly.
    You are better off not weilding such power!

Advertisement