Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cap sizes for Broadband

• 03-08-2006 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I’ve been living in America for the last 5 months and it really pisses me off that when I go home I’ll be back to having to watch how much I download. Here you have unlimited download and 5mb to 9mb line for about 30-40 dollars a month (depending on the company). I know that’s the states and there are way more people here so the companies get more revenue to provided unlimited download and higher speeds but does anyone think the day will come where you can get unlimited download at no extra charge in Ireland?

I’m with UTV and I just looked at the website to see if there has been any change in the last 5 months and its still at 3MB line with 20GB dl for 41.99 a month. Which is pretty god but when you compare with other offers around the world its pretty poor in comparison. We are suppose to be one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world, one of the smartest and one of the richest but yet we seem to have poorer more expensive internet/cable/phone services then anywhere else in the world…..

Is this just another case of rip off Ireland????

Rant over….. (I’m preparing to get yelled at here) ;)

Edit: I also saw that for an extra 5.99 a month you can get unlimited download with UTV but that to me is still paying extra for the service and with VAT you’ll probably pay 50 a month for BB alone, which to me… is pretty expensive!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

OmegaRed wrote:
    I’ve been living in America for the last 5 months and it really pisses me off that when I go home I’ll be back to having to watch how much I download. Here you have unlimited download and 5mb to 9mb line for about 30-40 dollars a month (depending on the company). I know that’s the states and there are way more people here so the companies get more revenue to provided unlimited download and higher speeds but does anyone think the day will come where you can get unlimited download at no extra charge in Ireland?

I’m with UTV and I just looked at the website to see if there has been any change in the last 5 months and its still at 3MB line with 20GB dl for 41.99 a month. Which is pretty god but when you compare with other offers around the world its pretty poor in comparison. We are suppose to be one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world, one of the smartest and one of the richest but yet we seem to have poorer more expensive internet/cable/phone services then anywhere else in the world…..

Is this just another case of rip off Ireland????

Rant over….. (I’m preparing to get yelled at here) ;)

For an extra €6 they will give unlimited downloads.

Not that I'm suggesting you go for UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You can get unlimited downloads from Smart Telecom if you can get their service and unlimited downloads from Irish Broadband if they can provide the service. AFAIK, every other provider has a cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

OmegaRed wrote:

Edit: I also saw that for an extra 5.99 a month you can get unlimited download with UTV but that to me is still paying extra for the service and with VAT you’ll probably pay 50 a month for BB alone, which to me… is pretty expensive!

You've been living in the US for too long.

VAT is part of the price you see for residential customers and not added on later like in the US.

I do agree that the CAP we have is an absolute joke but then again we have a monopoly here and a useless regulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Completly agree, I was with Digiweb where there was a 30gb download limit, Now i am over in the Uk i have a 10mb Line with Unlimited..

Advertisement