Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which tradesman do I need to install kitchen appliances

Options
  • 03-08-2006 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've just bought a new-build and I'm getting the white goods delivered next week. The store told me I need a "kitchen man" to intstall them. (gas hob, electric oven, tumble-drier and plumbing for dishwasher, fridge and washing machine). I'm a bit confused. Do I need a separate gas man, electrician and plumber or will someone have expertiese in all 3 areas? Is there any chance I could tackle the job myself?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well a plumber would defo do the dishwasher, fridge and washing machine, and may also be able to to the hob as they have to look after gas heating etc. The oven might be best done by a sparks but in saying that I did my own without too much difficulty.

On the flip side the equipment you are installing won't have the connections on show, so for safety purposes it may be best to get professionals in to make sure everything is up to spec. I'm also unsure if gas appliences have to be certified by a Bord Gais certified installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Thanks Delly, Sorry to add another question. Roughly speaking what kind of money will I be talking?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Can't recall exactly how much it cost, but around the €200 mark to get the WM and DW connected, but he also had to extend the pipework from the WM to the DW as an extra unit space was put in as an afterthought for the DW.

tbh if I hadn't have needed to get the extra piping in I would have done it myself as I did with my current house. For a WM there is a hot and cold connection which screws on from the water supply to the machine, then there is a waste pipe which is placed in the waste pipe exit, this isn't screwed in and is left 'loose' so to speak. The same goes for the DW only that it has one cold connection instead of two.

If its a case that these connections are already in the kitchen then I'm sure you could have a go at hooking it up yourself without to much bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

All the jobs you have are fairly simple but the fact that you are asking if you would be able to do it yourself means you probably shouldn't. You don't want a gas leak and a loose connection on a cooker. Its the sort of thing an apprentice would do in the evening. Where are u located?

I'm in Cobh (Cork). I've only done odd jobs (laid floors, tiling, put up doors and the like before). Not done anything involving gas, electricity or water before where the potential to make a balls of it is so much greater! Having said that I'm usually pretty handy and a physicist so know the basic principles of all thing electrical and fluid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Has the fridge got one of those filters that attaches to the mains water ?
    Do you know is there a hole in the wall where the dryer is going ?
    What type of cable is coming from the oven ,large or standard flex?

If theres too much to be done ,you'll get a mad price for all of that. If the holes are there and theres a standard flex on the oven ,you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a plumber/gas fitter to install it all.

Edit ,if I was doing it I would charge
    Cooker - €120 ,with fittings included and provided the line is ready.
    Oven - Standard flex €20 ,if theres a power point ready. (Could do yourself)
    Fridge - Tap from mains ,up to €80 if theres a distance from a mains supply.
    Washing machine - €20 ,considering I'm already there. (Could do it yourself)
    Dryer - If a hole has to be made and a vent installed ,€120 (Could do yourself otherwise.)

yes fridge has filter to attach to the mains. I'm putting it beside the washing machine and th builder seemed to think it is a small job to split the water there. There is no hole in the wall for the tumble drier yet. I'll get bf to do that. It's a thicker flex where the oven goes. Haven't looked closely enough to see what the wiring in it looks like though

btw, thanks for the replies folks. I know it's not policitally correct to say so, but sometimes I get the impression that tradesmen see single female coming and adjust their quotes accordingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

yes fridge has filter to attach to the mains. I'm putting it beside the washing machine and th builder seemed to think it is a small job to split the water there. There is no hole in the wall for the tumble drier yet. I'll get bf to do that. It's a thicker flex where the oven goes. Haven't looked closely enough to see what the wiring in it looks like though
    Your washing machine should be off the tank in the attic ,I wouldn't fancy drinking tank water myself. Usually the fridge is at least 10 feet away from the sink, thats what I based that on.

Advertisement