Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocks

Options
  • 03-08-2006 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

I bought a brand new car for the first time ever this year (VW). When I went to collect it I noticed it had mph clocks rather that kph. The garage said the would change them no problem, it would have to be a week day to hook up with the server in Germany blah blah blah.

Its been months now and a few phone calls. I am not hopping mad nor have I had nasty words with the garage... I havent been calling them every day, if fact the garage is miles away from where I live, so I am not looking foreward to taking time off work to do it.... I just reckon they have to get the finger out.

Someone told me it was illegal to sell a 06 car with mph clocks! Anyone know if this is true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I dunno if it is illegal but they are obviously not in any hurry to sort it for you !

Forget about the service department and go for the salesmans jugular !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

MercMad wrote:
    I dunno if it is illegal but they are obviously not in any hurry to sort it for you !

Forget about the service department and go for the salesmans jugular !

calling him now....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Point out that the MPH clocks could effect it's resale value down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lightening wrote:
    I bought a brand new car for the first time ever this year (VW). When I went to collect it I noticed it had mph clocks rather that kph. The garage said the would change them no problem, it would have to be a week day to hook up with the server in Germany blah blah blah.

Its been months now and a few phone calls. I am not hopping mad nor have I had nasty words with the garage... I havent been calling them every day, if fact the garage is miles away from where I live, so I am not looking foreward to taking time off work to do it.... I just reckon they have to get the finger out.

Someone told me it was illegal to sell a 06 car with mph clocks! Anyone know if this is true?

I'm afraid you are going to have to be a thorn in their side if you want to get this sorted. Otherwise they will keep fobbing you off. Alternatively you could contact the manufacturer's Irish division directly if you get no joy.

All new cars from January 2005 are supposed to have the clocks in kph afaik. Not sure if it is illegal to sell one after that with mph but I would think that they are at least required to convert it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd be straight onto them about it and don't leave them alone. Tell them that ALL new cars sold here are suppose to be kph and that you're gonna go the the simi if they don't sort it out

• Advertisement

Well, they know all the rules and so do I, Bazz is right, I am going to have to be a thorn in your side. I have called another garage to get a price and see if they can get the parts sooner, if so I will call the original garage and tell them I am getting them done elsewhere and will send them the bill...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Call VW Customer Service (01 409 4444) and explain your problem. Call the garage too - everyday. All they need to do is order the correct clocks and fit them. It's not complicated. They are just acting the b*ll*x.

What dealer is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

lightening wrote:
    I bought a brand new car for the first time ever this year (VW). When I went to collect it I noticed it had mph clocks rather that kph.

Does it have MPH only? or is it like the speedo on older cars i.e. Large numbers is MPH and smaller KPH numbers?

If it has dual speedo I cant see them really doing anything about it - I dont think its a "simple" job - have to pull out the unit/wirinbg loom etc.

I expect cars brought over from the UK have both MPH and KPH.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Would all the cars made after around nov/dec 04 not automatically have had km speedo's seeing as they had to be sold like that from jan 05?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

All VW cars manufactured for the Irish market late 2004 onwards would have KPH speedos.

Either it was manufactured in 2004 or else it an import.

I would contact VW immediately and demand an explanation.

Check your Registration certificate for the year of manufacture. (You did get the new European Community Reg certificate ?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

J_R wrote:
    Either it was manufactured in 2004 or else it an import

Was thinking the same thing and it's probably (and hopefully!) the latter, as in UK import

Lightning, just keep getting at that dealer. Ring them every day. Let us know what's happening. And if you're not happy, you might as well name&shame them :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Got my new Golf in Jan '05 and was expecting a KM speedo which was thankfully in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

VW, like other manufacturers begin to sell next years models in the middle of the previous year. For example, if you bought a VW Golf in October last year, chances are its a 2006 model. It used to be that cars manufactured after 1 August were next years cars (in the case of the VW Group) but I think it earlier than August nowadays.

I've a mate with a 2004 Seat Leon, but the chassis number indicates that it is a 2002 model. Chassis numbers are seldom wrong.

OP - PM me your chassis number and will tell you what year the Golf is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

My last car (VW Golf), ordered late 2003 for delivery early 2004. Requested a KPH speedometer. Initially was told this was OK, no problem. However was advised later that this was impossible as speedometer was intergrated with various computers, - variable service intervals etc etc and car could only be supplied with a MPH speedo.

Car arrive MPH.

Going by above, it may not be just a simple matter of changing the clock face.

MPH on an Irish registered 2006 car :confused: , re-sale value would be very poor.

I would Demand immediate explanation from the garage/VW and make noises about returning car - solicitors - Tabloid papers - etc etc

Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It is perfectly legal to sell mph car in Ireland, EU law states it can be provided with either, the government cannot block sales of mph in the country. I love the way the EU works, not a word on VRT yet other things they moan and moan about.

I wouldn't accept the car with mph, it's about as usefull as a left hand drive car in this country if you want to keep to the speed limit.:D

Is it a main VW dealer you got it from?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm with crosstownk on this. When was the car built?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

If this car is "new" it has obviously been sitting on his forecourt at least 18 months. All new cars have kph speedos since mid-late 2004.
    I know of one VW dealer in Galway in particular who stockpiles cars and doesn't sell them all on for months and months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

sounds like the car is an 04 model.
    look at your chassis no in the pass side cornor of the windscreen
    if its a golf for eg it should read WVWZZZ1KZ?xxxxxxx
    the ? is where the year should be. if its a 4 its an 04 model all VW's with 5 on have kph clocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

Still waiting to hear if its dual speedo or only MPH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm interested to hear if the car has actually been sitting in the garage since 04. If the OP said I'll take that one, then he doesn't really have a case but if this isn't the case he should really get a brand new car because all VW's are specd by the buyer and will the amount of options available to choose from the chances are that it isn't the exact spec he ordered, plus it'd be a 04 car really, surly sitting there for that long undriven the car would have a few problems.

• Advertisement

Sorry for not getting back sooner!

Ok, the car is an 06 car, the garage is right on the border and sells to the Republic and to the North, they order both MPH and KPH cars. My one has MPH with KPH in the inner smaller dial. The car was very very reasonable (golf GTI 06 33K) so I bought it.

I called a dublin dealer and got prices and a time frame. I then called the VW dealer I bought it from and told them that the Dublin dealer could get the parts in 6 working days and that it would suit me to get the job done in Dublin and MDL could sort out the billing between the garages.

They called back in ten minutes and said I could book the car in next week.

They were really nice about the whole thing, it wasn't a major hassle, they just kept it on the long finger.

I checked the chasis number, its a 06 allright. Thanks for all you help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

lightening wrote:
    Sorry for not getting back sooner!

Ok, the car is an 06 car, the garage is right on the border and sells to the Republic and to the North, they order both MPH and KPH cars. My one has MPH with KPH in the inner smaller dial. The car was very very reasonable (golf GTI 06 33K) so I bought it.

I called a dublin dealer and got prices and a time frame. I then called the VW dealer I bought it from and told them that the Dublin dealer could get the parts in 6 working days and that it would suit me to get the job done in Dublin and MDL could sort out the billing between the garages.

They called back in ten minutes and said I could book the car in next week.

They were really nice about the whole thing, it wasn't a major hassle, they just kept it on the long finger.

I checked the chasis number, its a 06 allright. Thanks for all you help!

Sounds like the car was got from the north then.You should have 3 years warranty now instead of 2.
    Can't see MDL getting involved seen as it's more than likely not their car.
    Does the dublin garage know this car has MPH clocks? Or did you just say it needs new clocks?
    Clocks on vw are exchange items, MDL will only return like with like ie MPH for MPH.

Well the car was maybe intended for the North, but got sold in the South, it has two years warranty. I dropped in the MDL thing just to get them moving. The clocks are their problem now, the exchange thing will be between the garage and the supplier in VW....

Advertisement