Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working for Irish based Company in US

Options
  • 03-08-2006 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I know this may seem closer to Employment forum but seeing I'm working in IT I was hoping someone here might have an insight.

Since the H1B quota is gone for 2007, I'm considering taking a postgrad cert in Accounting which would allow me to have an F1 visa. I have worked for the last year in the US as an Oracle Developer on a J1 trainee visa.

Now, I will apply for the H1B in 2007. In the meantime my plan is to find work in SF possibly for an Irish company that has offices in the Bay Area. This would mean I would be employed officially in Ireland. Is anyone currently in a role like this at the moment, how is it working out...?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

This would mean I would be employed officially in Ireland. Is anyone currently in a role like this at the moment, how is it working out...?

Visa for that is L1. I had done it before (3 years in Boston). In order to get the visa you need a minimum employment of 3 years with the company in Ireland and you also need to have skills that they can't hire in the US for.

L1 visa is for 3 years and I think (afair) can get it extended for another 2 years but no more after that.

The other option is business travel, in which case you stay for up to three months at a time but you can get serious problems with this, the most obvious being the US customs can just refuse to let you enter.

I know someone who did this, he had meant to only stay 3 months but ended up 9 months (+2 months in Ireland) after that his legal department told him he shouldn't be doing it and had to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Thanks Hobbes. Yeah, its a tricky one. I'm currently working on a J1 trainee visa coming to the end of its term, to all intents and purposes I was working in Ireland since my salary was paid to Irish bank account. Decided I want to leave this company. I've been in SF a couple of times and made some good connections, unfortunately the most interesting ones are all start ups which are not in a position to sponsor H1 currently.

I would like to be in SF to persue this further and study at the same time.
    The crux is figuring out how to support myself whilst out there. I guess theres the usual Irish nixer type jobs...

Advertisement